Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

passion for work...

15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Stardust. I admire you following your dream. Good for you!

Sheba, I think you would be good as a dog trainer. You seem so good with animals!
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Stardust! Good for you! It definitely sounds like you have followed your heart and are doing what you love.
Thanks for sharing that with us
Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Stardust, this is inspiring to hear. I think it is wonderful that you follow your heart. I don't want to end up with regrets because I didn't follow my dreams.....I think I'll make this one of my goals- to do something I really enjoy as my job and take a chance.
15 years ago 0 64 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish I have the courage to just drop everything. Anyway wright now I don't have a well paid job but I could have it. I'm still studing and taking some projects to pay bills. Also I'm working as a IT support for my parents Company. A part of this I really like: networking, server configuration s.o. I don't know if I want to get into a busy big Company and work 14 hours a day just to have money. It is not for me. Money are not use if you live in the office and talk with a computer!
I would like do do some rewarding things like training dogs. I started three or four yers ago with my friend'd dogs. I think I should became a professional trainer. I also like informatics but hate boring work. Sometimes programmer's life is boring. Or I'm doing this job for too long now. I don't know.

15 years ago 0 42 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I gave up my career 13 years ago to follow my heart. It has been an interesting and sometimes rocky road. I had a high powered job that sapped every last drop of energy. I hated it, but in paid for a luxury lifestyle and all the trimmings. One day I had just had enough and within the space of 2 months I had given up my job and sold my house. I followed my dream and went to live in the African bush. Initially it was strange and stressful - missed the hamster wheel of commerce and reduced income. Slowly I found my feet and learnt to live at a slower pace and smell the roses. I have had various business since and for the most loved doing what I  decided to do. It still involved struggle, stress, and sometimes working long hours.  It has been worth it because I have done what I wanted to do, followed my heart and worked with passion.
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I see alot of people at work that have been doing the same work for the last 15 years or more and hate it. I get bored easily and the thought of doing the same thing for 15 years is kind of depressing. I don't have to love every moment at my job but I just don't want to feel like driving away when I'm in my car on the way to work....... I am going to study further and hopefully get something more fulfilling but for now it pays the bills. My therapist suggested that I do things I enjoy in my spare time instead of trying to make it my job but I figure 9 hours a day doing something you hate is not the way to go. There has to be something out there that will stimulate my mind and give me some sense of enjoyment? Maybe I should just keep looking....... I know quite a few people that really love what they do- they are making some kind of difference in the world. I don't feel like I am making a difference to anyone where I am now. I feel rather pointless in my position. It is part of the reason my depression got so bad.
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete, I do feel truly blessed and fortunate to be working  - doing something I enjoy.  After having to retire from counseling and I got better (enough) to go back to work.  I considered a job at Wal-mart or other type department store, however this job (the lowest on the totem pole) was available and it is not near as stressful.  It has it's therapeutic value as well.  And again the interaction with people and the sense of accomplishment in seeing a difference in their life is rewarding however much smaller than it used to be!  I am not trying to minimize, just stating that helping people at any level is rewarding to me and as you indicated a great gift, in my words, a blessing!
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I long ago gave up any hope of obtaining any fulfilment or satisfaction from my work. It's purely a necessary financial transaction which I endure for five days a week because my family and I need to eat, have clothing and a roof over our heads. I just can't imagine my work being anything but a chore. My 'career' has meandered along a dusty path, and it feels like I have made no choices or decisions along the way, just sleepwalked through it all.

Unfortunately, the things I am enthusiastic about ('passionate' is much too strong a word, I can't feel passion for anything any more) like music and the written word, are areas where I have no talent or abilities to speak of so could never make a living doing them.

Anyone fortunate enough to earn a living doing something they love has a great gift.
15 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I fulfilled my dreams of "helping people", probably why I feel most accomplished (another post in Mod's Corner) when I help other people.  I like the day to day differences brought about by the job.  Meeting new people (safe relationships - ethical considerations mandate boundaries), a different issue each day.  Although I am not working to my potential as a counselor, I find the job in this field very rewarding.  There are so many aspects of the job I love.  The one I hate (paperwork).  but document document document is always been the key in the helping profession (gotta justify your job and show you did something productive and there's always those lovely stats that have to be compiled).  Anyway, I like the day to day contact and the individual issues each person brings to the table. 
15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I do not know many littles who dream of being assembly line workers, of being office clerks, or of being telemarketers. I am at the bottom of the accounting food chain and studied english lit and history.

But I love puzzles and problems.  Most of my day is dull apply funds to bills.  But two days a week I get to clean up accounts and take care of the problems!! and !!! onec every two weeks I get a nice juicy puzzle to work out!!!   The others in my department laugh at me and With me.  they say it is nothing but the headachs.  And it is what I love. 

It is like being paid to play with a suduko or wonder word.  THe girls are sometimes petty. and rumors ah the bi***ing that goes on.  but for the most part I still get to have 1.5 days out 5  of pure fun

Reading this thread: