Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Do you work on one goal at a time or all 3 at once?

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Windsybarbie,

Goofy gave you some great advice let me see if I can add a little.  When setting a goal it is important to insure that they are SMART goals.  Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time Stamped.  It is also important to focus on a few goals at once.  Try not to yourself.  Three goals is a good number but focus on whatever you are comfortable with.  You may add more goals once other goals seem to become more routine and ingrained.

Start with simpler goals and work your way up.  It is also very important to reward yourself.  To start try to set goals you can accomplish in a few weeks.  If you have a big goal you want to accomplish break it down into smaller chunks.

What are the goals you are thinking about?  Maybe we can help you fine tune them.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windsybarbie,  I think when we set a goal, we should also write babysteps to reach that goal.  I think one of the later sessions may address this or I've read it in here or I know it from my counseling background.  Sometimes we set Goals, the intermediate steps then babysteps.  I think this accomplishes two things....1) It makes it feel more manageable on the days you won't have the, as you described it, manic energy 2) it makes the goal more realistic and we can see results immediately. 
I think you've got the idea.  I'm going to clean my house breaking it down - one room at a time.  Now what are you going to do in each room.  What are you going to do minimally (when you don't have that manic energy).  If you accomplish more than the minimum then you get a pat on the back and a way to go!  Those feel great irregardless of the resource or reason.  So I suggest you break down what you want to accomplish in each room (babysteps) and then if you get all those steps done in one day - awesome.  I do think goals and intermediate steps and babysteps should have a time frame - but it has to be realistic.  YOU have to determine what is realistic in your situation based on your manic cycles, # of down days, other activities you do, etc.  But make it realistic!!!!  With something like that I think it's better to go a bit longer than you think you need, so you won't have the disappointment to an extreme if something happens and you can't get it ALL done. 

As for how many goals you work on - it also has to be realistic - considering your ups and your DOWNS.  When you're up it's easy to want to do everything at once and get it all done.  When you are down, I know it's a struggle to get one task down.  So take the most important - prioritize, consider the magnitude of the goals you are setting, how many babysteps can you make of them so you can accomplish something on those down days. 

These are my opinions and some has worked for me.  I just have the depression part and can relate to the focus, concentration and "get up and go".  I don't use the word motivation, because I realize I have the motivation I just don't have the resources (internally) to act upon the motivation all the time.  So if I break down cleaning the kitchen into floors, cabinets, cleaning out drawers, wiping out cabinets, cleaning out refridgerator (one shelf at a time) then when I'm really down, it's something I can do.  I may have a goal of just cleaning out one drawer a day.....depends on where I am with my depression on a given day.  Making any sense? 
Sometimes I ramble due to focus and concentration.  gotta love it!

14 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone:

I have questions on goal setting.  I have my first goal, which
is clean my apartment- room by room within 2 months.
Do I put a time limit on this goal, or am I putting time
limits on each step of my goal planner worksheet? Or
do I need time limits on each goal and on each step?

What happens if I do NOT meet my goal and it may
take 6 months, is that okay?  Sometimes I have
manic energy and I want to work and do everything
and meet my goals.  On the other hand, if I am so
depressed and stay sick at home, when are my goals
going to be done.

If I have to work on one goal at a time and it will take a
long time when I have depression as I have no energy
to concentrate on goals.  What about the other 10 goals
I have set for myself, it would take too long.

Or do I pick 2 things to work on at once.  I would be
happy to hear from others, because I am a little
confused.  I want to work the program really
dilligently this time, and get full benefit.  Thank
You....Happy Thanksgiving for Canadians
Windsybarbie

Reading this thread: