Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

My Intro Got Eaten, Starting Over

9 years ago 0 22 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning Shannon,

So much of what you wrote rings home.

I think it is common to have concurrent disorders under the Mood Disorder umbrella. I myself have been diagnosed with BiPolar and Pschyzoid Affective Disorder. MY SYMPTOMS INCLUDE DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY. PTSD has exaggerated these symptoms. There have been times in my life I have been unable to function.

Coping mechanisms: I journal, which is a great stress relief (a journal will never criticize you back). I have several internet 'penpals' whom are there to listen. Shannon, my chief way of coping has been joining a MOOD DISORDERS SUPPORT GROUP. Yes, it was hard to go at first. But now, I look forward to getting out to attend the weekly meetings. They are the closest thing to socializing I have in my life. I also try to do art (although I find I lack the motivation and inspiration I once had to do so. I blame my medication). 
9 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome SHK! Thank you for introducing yourself. You've joined a very supportive community. I'm sure that your personal blogs will not only be fulfilling for you but also supportive and validating others who may be sharing similar experiences as you. How brave of you to have moved across the country, not knowing anyone. Perhaps it also a blessing... I hope that your volunteering experience, being in a new environment and your involvement with the DC community continues to help you learn and grow as a person. Feel free to post as often as you'd like to let us know how you're doing. Vincenza, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

My name is Shannon and I am 41 and living on my own for the first time in 10 years and across the country, which I've never lived in my life. I know no one and am volunteering doing research so not a lot of interaction with people. 

I have MDD, PTSD (currently not an issue), on the light end of Borderline Personality Disorder and Anxiety. I've suffered from them since about 1997 and it all stemmed from childhood trauma and then things into adulthood and beyond.

I am functional and get things done when I have to be accountable, but I am never accountable to myself and a huge procrastinator. I love to plan new things but then never finish them. 

I am trying to use the blog feature here if anyone wants to follow, feel free. 

I am here to learn new coping skills so I can not fall apart every time something goes wrong. My coping skills suck! Granted, even my therapist has said many times that this much "bad" is not "normal". I feel validated in that I have had many terrible and traumatic things happen to me, but it is hard because I know there are others who have it much worse! I do not play the victim or manipulate but I did in my teens and 20's when I learned how to make it work for me to survive.

I have a tendency to compartmentalize a bit more than is healthy, because really, what else can you do (pragmatic much?) And then, when I stumble across something that opens Pandora's box, well then I fall down and it is hard to get back up. I'm overly sensitive, very empathic (which causes me problems quite a bit) and an introvert with extroverted tendencies.

Anyway, my first intro was much better. At least I didn't give up and tried again. Hi! *waves*

Reading this thread: