Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Whatjathinkin´ ?

10 years ago 0 8 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Like you said, depression flattens everything so that it is difficult to share and comment. For me there are two pit falls: the one is self pity and the other a tendency to withdraw, because of a fear of being judged. I have only participated a little in this site but am finding it warm and accepting because people don't judge. So it is easier to open up. Rina
10 years ago 0 1022 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I see we have a number of new ppl signing on to the DC, so I'll ask my question again... because I'd really like to know what you are thinking. 
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I replied in that thread 

Ashley, Health Educator
Ashley... I am pleased to report that my meeting with the nurse practitioner was very helpful.  I wrote more about the experience in the Medications discussion of the forums.
10 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Let us know how it goes ~m!

Ashley, Health Educator
I was able to get in to see a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner next week to do an eval on my meds.  I'd rather see a nurse than a pdoc anyway.  So... at least I met one goal for this week by making the appointment. 
10 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
oh wow, months to see your doctor? Really?  I think it sucks that I have to wait for an hour for my doctor (when she is on walk in clinic duty) .I am lucky it would seem, as much as we complain about the shortage of doctors.   Perspective is everything.  I sure hope you don't have to wait that long.

As far as the counselor I saw, I agreed with her.   Now if she had seen me 2 weeks sooner, if would have been a whole other ball game.  We talked about self help that I have read a lot and processed the stuff that happened to me in my past. She and that she would call me towards the end of the month, to see how I am doing. Right now, I don't feel like I need therapy, but I also know the feelings come and go, and I still have to work on those negative core beliefs and learn how to challenge them in the moment.  

Laura  

Ah yes... I certainly had depression and anxiety when I quit smoking. Every time I quit smoking.  Evolution Health has a sister site to help ppl quit smoking.  If you ever decide to try again you could get plenty of support over there... you will see that what you experienced is very common.  

I started on the sister site, but then moved onto the DC because those "issues" seemed more pressing at the time.  Eventually, I quit by moving to the electronic cigarettes. Weaned myself off the nicotine and now only "smoke" the ecig (without nicotene) every once in a while.  I just don't crave it like I did.  I don't need it like I did.

As for my meds, yes... I do need to get re-evaluated.  Thanks for mentioning it.  I will make an appointment to do so.  May be months before I can get in... but atleast I can do my part by making the appointment.

About the counselor you saw... (if you don't mind my asking) what were your thoughts when you were told you didn't need therapy? 

10 years ago 0 40 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
m, you are not alone!  I felt bad for being depressed and anxious in the summer when I should be feeling my best as well.   From what I can see for myself it's a chemical thing.  In 2 days after I started smoking again, I'm happy, and things are going good, I'm getting problems solved at work and I'm able to concentrate, eat, sleep and be happy again.  I'm back to looking at the positive instead of dwelling on the negative.

I went to see the coucellor Thursday, and she said she didn't think I needed therapy, that I had done so much work on my own, and that I had processed my "past" very well.    It's like I'm a different person, when smoking and not smoking.    It's so weird to me.    

I don't know if I will ever quit smoking, or have the courage again to try, this episode has scared me away from trying it again.  I know you quit a few years back, I'm curious if you had a major depressive or anxiety episode with that, and if so, what did you do about it?    

what about your meds?   can your dr. adjust your meds at all, so you can get feeling better?   

Laura
Thanks Josie.  I hope this is still true today.  I feel so disconnected and alone to be suffering depression in the midst of Summer (supposedly happy, vacation time).  I would not wish this on anyone, but there is some comfort knowing I'm not the only one.  

Reading this thread: