Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Hello... a little about me

16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Maggie, I haven't tried EMDR, I just googled it after you brought it up here... sounds interesting as a therapy..
16 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ah... i get it now. thanks for the extra info!!
16 years ago 0 131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry, I seemed to get all caught up in the explanation and then I get all muddled up... With the eyes following the hand movement of the counsellor back and forth in front of you or with the beeps in your ears going from one ear to the other with the headphones, this stimulates your left and right hand sides of your brain, where you store negative emotions. She explained it as your cause of the negative emotion (mine being fear of being left alone, feeling something bad is going to happen, guilt) being the box on the bottom of the stack of emotions and you have stored in your brain, you have to start dealing with emotions at the bottom to eventually work yourself to the top of the emotions and come to terms with the situation (mine being my dad dying and leaving me alone and therefore my fear of being abandoned by my husband or my children), I know now where this stems from, why it is happening and that for me, understanding why things happen the way they do, is really important to me to cope with things. Does this make any sense now? Gosh, I hope I have this right!! If not, let me know (again,:))
16 years ago 0 46 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
this sounds super interesting- what's the eye management part though? i don't get that.
The counsellor takes your history, when situations started in your life that was causing you to become depressed, what happened, even if there are more than one trigger point. There could be many, everyone is different. She starts, atleast mine did, right at the very beginning, "any problems with your mother's pregnancy with you", kind of thing and went from there. That took about 2 sessions to get through, not because I had many difficulties, (maybe I do) she's very thorough. The third session she started EMDR, she takes you to what one of your trigger points are and you put on either headphones with a soft beep going off from ear to ear, or she waves her hand from one side to the other, this all mimicking stimulation between the left side of your brain and your right side of the brain. Basically, how you store your negative thoughts. I wore the headphones. Then she explained it as though I was going to be riding on a train and looking out the window, looking in the scenes of my situation. She made me think of it, focus on it and then asked what I was thinking about and then my mind would lead to other thoughts that I would relate this situation to. For example, my Dad died when I was very young, that was one situation, from there I hold guilt for not doing more, guilt for my kids happiness, sadness, etc. It's kind of a chain reation to where and what I feel today. It's hard to explain, like I said it worked for me. I found it very positive and my counsellor was awesome. Does this make any sense to you? If not, let me know...I have a tendency to ramble. It's hard to figure out what is right for you. It took me a while to get to this and it being relatively new, I questioned it and trust me, I questioned my poor counsellor, I thought she was going to "toss" me out the door. She kept me and it worked!! Sometimes, we have to take a chance, take that risk, it's hard because I am certainly one who needs to know the outcome of things, this I didn't. Just try it is a good moto for things you may be interested in. Good luck!
16 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Can you tell me more about it, from a personal experience standpoint. I've read a little on the net and it seems to me that it would be great if the depression had one main original trigger. But I don't know. what exactly did they do and how? How did it help? I am exploring therapies but have not yet got the nerve to actually talk to someone. My daughter is the only one I can tell that I am depressed without feeling judged. My husband is good but doesn't really understand that I need more than his support. I am alarmed by the fact that if I go off meds I become suicidal. I know I need more, but find it hard to take the next step.
I have had great success with method of treatment along with mild antidepressants. I still feel the sadness of what I went through, but it's not dibilitating anymore. I seem to understand what I went through from a different level and I'm figuring myself out a little more. I know this method is relatively new, but it's worth a try if you're stuck or looking for a treatment. It's not for everyone, but I was determined (probably like a lot of people here), and I had success with it. My counsellor was wonderful. Daily Llama, have you tried this or you just have heard about it?
16 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys, EMDR therapy is Eye Management Desensitisation & Reprocessing therapy and you can find it if you Google EMDR therapy...
16 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
what is EDMR?
Hey there, welcome to this site, you will find this site so interesting and very helpful. It has really healped me in dealing with this dreaded thing and that I truly feel that I'm not alone. Even if I have a moment in the middle of the night, I'll get up and come onto the site, and just type, it helps. I have been dealing with depression a lot longer than I thought, but it's coming along, day by day. I had stayed away from antidepressants for a long time and tried BCT and it does work, may not work for everyone and you have to be very committed to it. I finally started on some very mild antidepressants and amazingly it's working...I feel I have my life back somewhat and I seem to be handling things a little more positively, dealing with a lot of past issues. A very big decision to go on antidepressants, it was like I finally admitted I was depressed and I needed help. I also am trying a new method of treatment called EMDR. It's a very new treatment, when you read about it, you wonder if it works, but it's amazing how it does works and how you can look back at devastating situations in your life and not panic or get caught up in it as you used to. Good luck to you, every method of treatment is different for everyone and whatever works for you, go with it. :)

Reading this thread: