Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

Help, it's my son.

18 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi everyone. i just wanted to update on my son and i. things are going well. he is still a trooper in therapy. he is upbeat and really working hard. i am doing well. my meds are working for the most part. i do feel a change may need to be made. maybe just a dosage adjustment. for the most part i am ok. i have smaller moments of feeling depressed. i have been dealing with being a lil bit manic that past two days. I feel like a huge spending spree is about to come on but I am taking my meds and maintaining control. i am understanding more about bipolar and just waiting this episode out. I have two dr appts one this week and one the following. I will be sure to speak with both my tdoc and pdoc about how I have been feeling. My son is just great. No cutting and alot of honesty coming from him. I have learned so much about him lately and the things he is going through. I am sure he will pull through this. He is open and receptive. That's all I could ask for. So thank you for your kind words and positivity. I really appreciate it. Kendy, I am still worried about you. This illness seems to get the best of you lately. You are in my thougths. Liquid, you are so sweet to check on my son. I deeply appreciate it. If I am needed in anyway please let me know. I have been working really hard on the program. I am curious to see if either of you are working on it and how it is going for you. Keep me posted. Take care of yourselves. Big Hug!
18 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
How is everything with your son, now? And how are you with dealing with this? Hope all is well.
my son went in and was a trooper. i was only in the session for about 10 minutes but he seemed very willing to open up and talk with the tdoc. he is going to see her again next week. he was up in spirits and i am hoping this is not a chemical thing. maybe hormones or just a momentary thing. but whatever i am there for him. we will see where this takes us. i appreciate the support. i sure needed it.
18 years ago 0 99 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you can do it batty, for your son. maybe that's why he had trouble dealing with your illness sometimes...because he felt the same way. thank you for asking about me. not doing so well right now but don't worry about me -- focus on your baby and don't forget to take care of yourself.
18 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish you the best of luck with your son, but I doubt you even need luck... because you seem like a great parent. In my opinion, when you help someone else with their similiar problem, you are also helping yourself. To help with your own personal experience, to actually be able to understand, it's really nice. Anywho - I hope everything goes well on weds. Take care!
yes i know. i have an appt for him on wed. i had a long talk with him and let him know that i am here for him. we will work on this together. i had no support thru my teenage years. i will do better than my parents did. thank u both for ur support. i will not give up. i will fight to find the right help for my son and i wont give up on me either. i am getting better every day and stronger. im not afraid. i know i can handle this. we had a great weekend together. i am in good spirits and so is he as of today. lets hope it just is hormonal and not anything he may need meds for. i will keep you posted. kendy...how are u especially?
18 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Batty i agree with Josie and Kendy you need to get your son help because those thoughts wont go away on their own i when i have down days i feel like i would rather be dead and i have had a couple of episods where i attempted it so get him help asap keep us posted.Gabbi.
18 years ago 0 99 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Batty -- Take him for help. You can save him years and years of suffering but dealing with any potential problems he has early in his life. You CAN do it. It's your baby. Just let your primal instincts take over. You CAN do it. kendy
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Batty, You are a great parent! You are taking the time to help your son through this and it will make you stronger. Continue with the program and please go slow. It was designed by doctors for this purpose. You need to continue to concentrate on yourself as well. It is important that you take your son to see a doctor as soon as possible. Unfortunately, The Depression Center is a site to support individuals who are not in the crisis stage. Here is some important facts to remember if someone is thinking about harming herself or others: Call 911 and talk about how you are feeling Go to the emergency room of any hospital Call your family doctor and tell her or him what is happening Ask a friend or family member to take you to the hospital Ask a friend or family member to call your doctor If you live in the USA, dial directory assistance and ask for a 1-800 suicide hotline or local crisis center hotline If you live in the USA go to http://www.hopeline.com to get contact information for a suicide hotline in your area Thank you for posting with us and we hope your son finds the help that is needed. Josie __________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
I just got an email from my son's girlfriend. He has been talking about suicide with her. I am completely a mess. I never saw this coming. I have been so consumed with getting better and recovering from my depression that I failed to see any problems my son might be having. I recently put him on restriction because of his grades. I made his time with his girlfriend limited, only to school now, until his grades are better. I am calling today to set up an appointment with a therapist but I am still such a mess. I have the day off of work tomorrow and he has that day off from school as well. I plan to sit down and have a long talk with him. I just don't know where to start. No one ever spoke to me about my depression and I don't even know what I would have wanted someone to say to me. I am looking for advice and opinions from the group. Anything you can offer I would appreciate. I feel like the worst parent in the world. I have been working so hard on me and now look at my son. I feel so badly and am afraid I may sink back into depression instead of dealing with this head on. Am I strong enough...will I make it worse? These are the thoughts running through my head. So...help please. Thanks.

Reading this thread: