Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Negative ideas.

15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Julie,

Glad to see that you were able to practice some of what you have learned even though it was scary for you.  Keep up the great work and eventually you will conquer the anxiety and panic attacks.

Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi

Had a panic attack yesterday, just was starting to really  lose it but remembered your words Rosie and thanks after a whihle this worked, felt bit of a mess but hey first time I've really focused on something to stop my attacks from spirialling out of control. Thanks for the tip

Julie
15 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Julie,

I think between Rosie andKaren you have received great advice. I won't start repeating. But I did want to say I get where you are coming from, you are not alone. and please come here to vent it helps!

This too shall pass!
15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rosie,

Well said .  Julie, it may also be helpful to channel your negative thoughts through tension releasing to avoid releasing any aggression upon others as you fear:

1) Let go of the tension in your neck and shoulders.

2) Let go of the tension in your jaw.

3) Focus completely on your breathing, nothing else.

4) As you exhale, let your shoulders drop and let your body sink into wherever you are.

5) Repeat this until you feel relaxed and centered.  

It's a skill. You may have to practice it several times a day to make it a normal part of your routine.

Hope that helps!

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 85 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Julie

I completely relate to what you are saying. Sometimes the smallest negative thought sends you spinning out of control. I also manage to get myself into situations where I have to fight to stay in control and get dizzy and freaked out. I have been following this program a while now, and later on, you will start working on those core negative beliefs from which all our other negative thoughts are born. I think if you can change these, it will be easier to prevent these downward spirals. For now, the fact that you are aware that it is your thoughts making you feel like that is great. Think about it- if you can change your thoughts, you can change how you feel. Not that I have mastered this in any way, but the hope is there. The fact that you have joined this program is the first step to starting to stop those run-away negative thoughts. Don't know if this helped, but just know you are not alone- from ready the posts here, you'll see we all experience the same panic and fear of losing control.
15 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,

Does anyone else find it very hard to stop negative ideas form just bouncing into your head. Mine come out the blue and I have to make an incrediable effort to stop myself from going out of control. I argue with myself, ideas dart from one thing to another and I feel like screaming and crying. I feel like any second I am going to snap but fearful if this happens that I will completely go off the rails. This then makes my heart race, feel dizzy, feel sick think of loved ones and then this makes it worse. If I could make this go away without hurting anyone I would, why is life so difficult.

Reading this thread: