Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,781 Members

Please welcome our newest members: LBUELA, RBORBON, ATIQUI, A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH

Effexor & My side effects

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dgfamily7, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. When taking Effexor it is important to keep up with doses. Effexor must be withdrawn from your body in a step down fashion to avoid severe withdraws such as the ones you mentionned. Hope you're feeling better. Danielle _________________________ The DC Support Team
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been on effexor for over a year and it did help with my severe depression and then around thanksgiving I ran outand thought, WOW i fee good and didn't bother to make an appointment with my doc to get a refill! WOWWWWWWW biggest mistake of my life. The severe side effects comming off the meds were so bad my dh thought I was dieing from some hideouse disease! We thought I had all kinds of ailments. My symptoms were extreme fatique, could not get out of bed, when I did it wouldtake my hours to dress and shower. THen comes the sweats, can't even put on make up or curl my hair. SO i looked and felt like crap for weeks befor he made me go back to the doc who wisely decieded to put me back on a low dose of effexor(37.5) and low and behold the NEXT day I WAS NORMAL. My house is clean,i went shopping and am not a sweat bucket! IT scares me to think I might be on this forever cuase I dont ever want that feeling to be back again. BUT just be warned. I wish I would have read more before popping that pill. I also gained over 30lbs in the last year. YUCK. TOday I am happy and energetic when last Sunday I was in bed, literaly, and could not get up......... Living in Today mom of 5
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My symptoms in trying to go off were almost identical to what you describe. I also couldn't stop shaking and sweating, and I was quite nauseated. Someone had to drive me to emergency because my vision kept blurring. I am so thankful that the doctor there asked enough questions to discover that I was decreasing my dosage and suggested that this was the probable cause. My family doctor and my own research later confirmed this diagnosis. I immediately brought my dose back up to 75mg and got back on a regular regimen because it was such a scare to me. I felt sick for days and had to miss work, but I did eventually get back to "normal." I find I have to be quite religious about taking my effexor around the same time every day. If I am off by a few hours I start to get the dizziness, headache, and nausea. There is information out there about coming off of this drug, and I have a friend who did it successfully (over a period of 6 months!), but if you decide to go off, get a competent doctor's help and do your research before-hand. Peace and well wishes to you.
17 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Whatever you do, don't skip your dose of Effexor, even if you are on a low dose! It has a short "life" in your system, so you must take it really regularly to keep the levels of the drug even and avoid experiencing withdrawal. When I tried to decrease my dosage, I developed symptoms that sent me to the Emergency room at the hospital thinking that I was dying! Now, even if I'm a few hours off on my dose, I start to get a really bad headache and feel nauseated (like a bad hangover). My friend gradually weaned himself off Effexor, but he had to take the capsules apart and literally take out a "bead" or two of medicine every couple of days. this is a very difficult drug when it comes to changing your dosage, so don't try to do it without professional assistance and guidance. On the flip side, the drug has proved helpful for me - not a cure, by any stretch, but made life more manageable. Don't give up hope!
17 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
i took effexor and i also had the dreams i still do though but its been 2 weeks since i got off it. i know i am tuff but that was difficult i went cold turkey and didnt get out of bed for 3 days.if you forget to take it it gave me a horrific headache.
17 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi FloridaPat, Thanks for checking in and sharing your experiences with this medication. You mentioned your depression has been fairly stable, this is great to hear! Regarding your medication, please be sure to consult with your doctor if you are considering a change or weaning process. We wish you all the best and look forward to hearing from you again. Casey ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been taking Effexor for about 3 years now. I try to make sure I don't miss it but sometimes I am a space-cadet. When I have missed my dose, I have had nightmares worthy of a Steven King novel/movie. It does not matter how great things are going in my waking world, when I have one of THOSE dreams, the first thing I do when I wake up is run to the "daily pill reminder" .... It seems as though it is always Effexor. Things have really been stable as far as my depression. Part of me would like to stop taking pills but I am a little afraid of the process
18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Was on effexor for three years. 150 mg per day. Had excessive sweating, loss of sex drive (how is that not depressing?) and the tingling/electrical feeling people have mentioned on this thread. Still, suicidal thoughts disappeared and I was much more able to function on a day to day basis. Found myself in Latin America at the end of those three years, in a rural area, and my bag was stolen with my meds. Couldn't get to the capital to replace them for four days, and wasn't sure I trusted the pharmacies anyway, so was forced into cold turkey withdrawal. Mother of God, I hope I never have to experience that again. So I wouldn't let them put me back on the medicine when I returned stateside. Have been a year and a half drug free, but went into a recent depressive tailspin that is affecting my work and my marriage. Am considering meds again, but read this board and am reminded of the negative things that went with the pills. What's better, utter depression in reality? Or being sweaty, impotent, and happily sedated? Honestly I don't know. I understand what you're all going through and I hope you're more successful at finding a way through it than me.
18 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Please check with your doctor and pharmacist for information on dosages and side effects. You may be able to come up with a plan to combat this. Hope this helps, Josie ___________________________________ The Depression Center Support Team.
18 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have been on Effexor XR for about three and a half months now, for a long time I had horrible sleeping hours, not being able to fall asleep until 7 or 8 in the morning and waking up about 12 hours later. I have managed to modify my sleep schedule to going to bed at 10 or 11 pm but am still sleeping about 12 hours. Now, I have had trouble with low iron in the past and have started taking iron gluconate supplements every day or two so hopefully that will make a difference in that respect. I still think that my dose will be upped from 150 mg/day to 187 or 225 mg due to my symptoms when I am awake, mostly recurrence of anxiety and panic attacks.

Reading this thread: