Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

What is you biggest fear?

14 years ago 0 63 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
pete,
unfortunately the rest of her letter got lost in space somewhere.... It would have been nice if you could have seen the rest of what she said.  she is a very insightful person and I do know I am fortunate to have her as a friend.  I so want to call her right now as a matter of fact because I am struggling so much.....  I don't want to scare her away.

I made an appointment with a therapist.  Luckily they were able to get me an appointment for tomorrow morning.
I have so many questions I need answered and after the talk I had with my husband last night I am really doubting my whole self and who I am or what I am.... I don' even know.

Thanks for all your comments.  I do hope things continue to look up for you.
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I suppose the biggest fear I face may be a lack of time. I would like to be happy while I'm still well enough to enjoy my life.
  Presently I am not happy in general and with my life. Hoping to change that.

14 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lost:

Looks to me as if you have a good, good friend there. Somebody understanding that you can trust with your feelings.

You are right to appreciate having such a person in your life.

okay.... here is a small peek into me and my week......
I'm nervous about putting myself out there, but to understand a bit of my feelings right now, I suppose I have to.
It's also me taking a moment to accept and appriciate what awesome-albeit few- people I do have in my life.....  That's a step in the right direction, right?
here is a letter exchanged just this morning.
ME:
> Hi Fiend,
> I hate to do this to you at such late notice and I know you (we) were looking forward to it last week.....
>
> I just don't think I will make it tomorrow.  As much as I know I should force myself to go out and get out of my brain, I'm afraid I wouldn't be the best of company and I really don't want to burden you with that.  Plus, I'm tired... just so very tired.
>
> I'm soooooooo sorry.  It's well past midnight and I haven't had any sleep to speak of today.
> It's been a bad week and today I think it all just came to a head.  I know it is a combination of many factors, most of all not being on any medication.  It's always hard for me to accept that I will always need that to be some what of a functioning "normal" human being.  I'm so tired and life seems to be it's bleakest when I can't even try to think straight due to lack of sleep.  Anyone who says sleep isn't that important must have some magic pill (and I mean real magic)  to keep their brain matter intact.
> I know things will be better once I see my doctor.  I know things will be even better when I learn how to (someday) change my pattern of thinking.
>
> I know I have been difficult and pitiful and you have been a very patient friend.  I don't know if me asking you to understand is asking too much (because even I don't understand most of the time), but I hope that you will try and not give up on me.  I don't mean to make things so hard.  I know that somewhere deep down I am a good person and someday I hope to let that person truley shine.
> For now, it's a struggle.
>
> My poor husband.  I'm sure he's just at his wits end.... If he only knew what he was getting himself into when he asked me to marry him.  He is a wonderful guy, but even wonderful guys reach their limit in time.
>
> Okay--I'm starting not to make much sense.  Basically I just wanted to tell you I can't go to the Lake.  I hope you read your email early as I only have your phone numbers stored in my phone.
 even it decided to poop out on me today.
>
> Please don't waste anytime worrying about me.  I will be fine in a matter of time.  I haven't decided to give up all together yet and have no plans on harming myself or anyone around me. (that's a statement made for the sole purpose of not finding a 3 day stay in the looney bin)(ha ha)
>
> I do hope you find a happy day despite (inspite of?) my absence from our plans (that I think I practially begged you to make these plans)  If I know you, you will.
>
> Thanks again,
>ME

My Friend:
Hey Friend,
Well my friend, if you remember just before I got in my car Monday morning, I told you to let me know if something came up....even last minute....cause that was okay.  Maybe you didn't know it at the time but I figured it was a possibility.  AND IT'S OKAY!!!!!!!!!!  I know what a crappy week it has been for you.  Besides, I as

How do you know?  How do you know when you are done?  I wish I could be a cookie.  Or spoon full of cookie dough rather.  I wish there was a certain amount of time allotted to me being done, being ready.  Ready for what?  I don’t know when I will be completed.  Maybe I will never be completed. And maybe, it is ok if we are never complete.  Maybe our completeness comes in the incomplete. chocolate helps.

I started thinking about fears.
Sadly I have so many of them.  I fear my girls will end up hating me.  I am afraid I made them sick, just like me, by bringing them into this world.  I'm afraid of being alone, but everything I do puts me in that situation..... I mean, who wants to be around a depressed person?  I fear that this, for me, will be a never ending cycle and I will NEVER feel "normal" (whatever normal is).  I fear that I have not made a mark on this world and I will go away without anyone even remembering that I existed.  I'm afraid my parents will die without me being able to tell them how I really feel (they have "disowned" me for the 2nd time) or knowing what I did exactly to make them hate me so much.  I must be pretty awful to be discarded by my own parents.  Sadly I am a grown woman and I spend most my days wondering how to gain their exceptance.  How dumb is that?
Lost:

I like your quote - if only I could eat my fear and be nourished by it.

What you describe is exactly how I feel much of the time. Wishing I could think myself out of it, it seems so effortless to arrive at a state of depression, but so difficult to emerge.
Fear is to be eaten and digested.  To do something that frightens you, and to come through unscathed, even stronger is incredibly empowering.

That's a quote by someone else.... I like it.
Pete and Goofy,
I can totally relate to what you have written.  I hate losing control, or not having control. I fear lots of things.  Many I can't even put words to.  But, I avoid.... I use my family.... I wear the mask often.

I fear that one day the mask won't work for me.
I think myself into my own depression.... I wish I could think my way out.

~Still Lost
Goofy:

I get what you say about control. I would say I generally keep in control, outwardly at least. I can 'wear the mask' and function. It's all related to the fear:

Ah, the years, the haunted years
All that remains is fear
So fear is what I am
My lonely boat is foundering
Damn the winds
Damn the mind that sees the future
Burn the words 

But controlling is a drain, a strain and a pain, which hurts my brain. I wish I didn't have to expend the energy, but such is my present condition (paradigmatically shifted ) that I do need to. So be it.
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Goofy,

I can totally relate to what you are saying. I have nothing smart to say about my relating but I did want to say I did lol!
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I first came to this site there was a lot of discussions going at that time about control.  I didn't understand why everyone thought about control.  Boy, do I get it now.  I never thought about my depression in term of being out of control.  I'm not in control of my emotions, my motivation, my energy, my life, my goals, ambitions, dreams. 
So I try to maintain what control I do have and gain more in small increments.  Sometimes it's 3 steps forward 2 steps back, but that is still progress. 
I am able to readily recognize things as they are getting more out of control. I try to do things to maintain where I am.  I try not to let my fears immobilize me as that is giving in to the fear itself.  (Does that make sense with my fear being going back to where I've been with my depression?)

Reading this thread: