Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Age, disability and panic.

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
To get back to the idea of the memories being in the center, I wished to comment on the notion of a spider web.  That was for illustrating, not a coping method.

|The neural pathways which are channels, in the the analogy I suggested, also hold the experiences, which can be negatvie or postive.  I think your model is like a CPU, holding everything.

In terms of the aging and disability, some of us may be predisposed to mood disorders.  Even if we're not, physical disability and aging makes it harder, doesn't it.

I feel better after a workout that I feel a lot better and tranquil.

12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,

I do not..
I am wondering what your thread is going to be on this and how it plays into it ?
Well I've gotta go for now. I've got some healthy distractions I want to work on today which means "get a little exercise".
Will check back later...
Red....
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Red, museluver

Since it appears that it is the Dissociation (blocking of unwanted thoughts) A form of PTS, I am going back to all of the traumatic situations that built this and changing my perception of them. EG. Being happy to be alive rather than feeling bad for what I have lost. Also instead of thinking that life sucks because I can't kneel on my artificial knees, I can still walk, I'm not in a wheel chair. I'm trying to visualize how life was and replay it for it's beauty rather than it's loss. I imagine you are like me and have lots of good life experiences that you can no longer do. This thought alone has been the source of much pain for me. 
Another question. Do any of you have a close extended family living close by?
I'm going to start a thread on this. I want to see how close I am on this.

Davit.
Hi museluver,
I am glad we very able to meet here and share our life experiences with each other..We really are not alone in this..It is comforting knowing that there are others that have gone thought similar experiences and have come out the other side too..
This gives us hope and the stories we share encourage others to take that first step and come here and post and start working the program sessions..You are so right things can only get better from here on...

Thank you for reaching out to me and sharing your story with me here..I am wishing you a Happy Holiday and wonderful New Year too..

Red...
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Red, it appears we have had very similar life experiences and find ourselves meeting on here. 
We should take comfort in the knowledge that we are never truly alone, loved ones passed are with us always. Thing's can only get better from here on, we are all here to comfort and support one another.
I wish you Happy Holiday's and may the New year bring us all happiness, health & the ability to shine x
hugs

The spider web analogy is it exactly. The main central thought that you build in the centre of the web travels all over to other parts and other webs. Emotions, actions etceteras. So if you have nothing but positive thoughts in the centre every thing else will be positive. Also since you store in the centre of this web every thing can travel the other way. EG, emotions can travel back to the memory and find something positive to build on. When it leaves the centre of the web it leaves behind a memory in the previous actions file to be used next time. So you see if it is positive it will find a positive memory to use. Adversely if it left a negative solution that would be there. 
So you are right. When you get feeling something negative you want to try to change it before it gets stored. It is a slow process but like a bell curve it gets better over time and speeds up.

I think visualization is a good way to flood memory with positive memories. I also think that if a person has a bad day or a bad part of a day that they can cover it with good thoughts. Last used first opened, just like a good computer program.

Davit.
12 years ago 0 59 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit, I can relate with you on this topic as although I had been bullied as a child and suffered the anxieties that went along with this, it wasn't until I broke my spine that I became agoraphobic, anorexic and had full blown panic attacks. I too had numerous operations over a 2 year period and found myself disassociating from everyone and everything, as I could see people judging me, this had a very negative effect on my mind & from this point in my life things snowballed, each event having a knock on effect. I am a survivor of breast cancer, a widow and all this before the age of 36.
If I did leave my home I went in my motability car and watched, listened & answered ignorant people's questions as they whispered as to why I was parking in a disabled bay, this simple action of parking my car brought on a panic attack, not because I was a bad driver, far from it, because I knew what was to ensue.
 I find a lot of people in this world far too judgmental, maybe if they paid as much interest in their own lives as they did into ours they would learn to watch their tongues and realize how well off they are.
Health is something we all take for granted, and it is only when you are suddenly taken out of your comfort zone, when you can't do the simple thing's that you one day could, that it dawns on you, you will have to rely on someone for the rest of your life for certain things. This is my core dilemma, I am too stubborn to ask for help & would rather fight on myself to achieve something (but boy do I get a kick when I have done it) I could have easily done years ago.

You are an inspiration Davit, too many people have far too much time on their hands to sit in judgment of anyone with a disability, they should be taking inspiration from us.
Wishing you & Sunny a very Happy Holiday 
Davit,

I get that lost fuzzy feeling to..I hadn't really thought about the why till now and after reading your post..It does come on when fatigued like you mentioned..Which is probably very common with a disability..This happened to me again yesterday while at the mall..The foggy detached feeling and extreme fatigue..So we came home so I could rest..
Like you I did have some anxiety going on most of my life but it did get worst after I became disabled after a back injury and later surgery..I now have osteoarthritis in my spine and neck which has been worsening since the onset at age 34..After my injury I felt more vulnerable..I was not able to do to the things I did before with ease and I was not able to protect myself like I could before the injury..Hence the fight or flight according to a Psych that pointed this out to me 20 yrs ago..This is about the time I noticed I was becoming agoraphobic..It wasn't until after my husband became sick with dementia and ptsd that I took a turn for the worse and after he passed the panic set in and was with me 24/7..I have to say that the program here has brought me out that state of mind and helped me get through to the other side which is much more peaceful..I rarely have panic now and am careful to not let myself become to fatigued..I remind myself thats is ok to rest when I need to and when I listen to myself and do this I am ok..This is something I need to let myself do more of...

Red.....
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
I'd like to try a visual analogy.

I see the mind like a spider web with thoughts travelling along that web.  If we create enough memories which are positive, the new spider path, similar to neural pathways newly created, will cause our thoughts to travel over those paths instead of to negative memories.

The wonderful picture you've shared with us of Christmas settings allow me to have an alternative to my obsesssing about my past.  If we inundate ourselves with these better memories by doing our CBT homework and building a better spider web with more positive memories, it would be beneficial.

Sonia

I've tried twice to post why the association between disability and panic but can not seem to be able to put it into terms that every one would understand. It has to do with dissociated memory about the time before a disability. In my case it took ten years of disability and five operations to build the dissociated memory. Ativan for four years didn't help. 
I very seldom get panic attacks anymore and when I do they are mild. I get pre panic sensations. A lost fuzzy feeling that used to build very quickly into panic. This is not possible to prevent as it sneaks up under conditions of fatigue. Very common with a disability. What is possible is to keep a positive attitude and stop overworking so it can't sneak in. Relaxation and distractions gets rid of it once it is there. Hard to do once asleep. Although going to sleep after a positive day will prevent it usually. Unfortunately there is usually a certain amount of negative focus with a disability. Being sore or cramped at night is usually enough to wake me in an anxious state of pre panic. It doesn't last anymore. I was wondering if this is common to others with a disability.
My triggers were all claustrophobic thoughts not actions and due again to mild or partial dissociated memory. I am not claustrophobic yet I do not like tight cloths. There is a form of arthritis called "touch me not" where a person can not stand tight cloths or having the sheets on the bed tucked in. It causes anxiety that turns to panic.

The answer seems to be to find a way to not go to dissociated memory by going to some other unrelated memory. (distraction)

Preparing in advance would be a conscious attempt at positive. Where as being positive to start off reduces or eliminates the need in the first place. Repetition of relaxation and coping skills allows them to be so ingrained that they happen without conscious thought. Therefore it is not always obvious a person is getting anxious till it happens.

Still not explained the way I wanted it.

Davit.

Reading this thread: