Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Silver lining to your cloud?

10 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Everything irritates me today, and maybe I'm supposed to slow down since it's "Friday", which doesn't mean much to me since I've left work for good, it seems.
Davit,
The crew showed up again, and I did speak to the foreman, who gave suggested I speak to some who's name he gave me, but I couldn't reach him by phone.  More likely, he just didn't wish to reach me.

I forgot that they preferred cash, and got uptight, and I guess the foreman just wanted to get rid of me.

Live and learn. I did find a book about  estimates, so I know how much it will cost in the spring.

They can't find the owner of a car which was blocking their work.  Maybe I'll try to find the owner in the morning through a civic connection I have, and get a 3rd chance.

I should check the position of the that horseshoe in the basement too.
It doesn't take much to cheer me up.  I found a new pen in the gym parking lot, and a hammer at the pavement.

Finders keepers, losers weepers is what I'd like to say, but I'll return the hammer.

Maybe I should have left it near the wet pavement so someone would fall into the patch, but I don't like anything possibly dangerous near my parent's home.

And my venturing anywhere near that wet patch, as I straddle the few inches between the lawn and patch, was practically a "firewalk" for a guy who's been casted as many times as myself, and now has something wrong with my ankle so I have to wrap it/heat/elevate it and get it ultrasounded.

That's a lovely way to call it a night - good night everyone

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What I like is those clay bricks set on sand. They make a very pretty walk and for anyone who can kneel it is real easy to do. Rental places rent the packer for the sand.

Davit.
ps.  could it be a different kind of concrete(like the kind in my head)?  It was only 11 feet by 30 inches?
Hi Davit,
I'll bear that in mind in the future.  Maybe it was okay that they didn't do the job, since an attractive pathway is part of curb appeal, and might be worth the money in the future.

Maybe it will be mild, and we can exit out the back, this winter, but I don't think from your weather reporting, that this winter will be any different...

10 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs

Your biggest mistake was not offering to pay cash. See, no contract, no come back if there is a problem. If it was just a matter of scratching out the old concrete and pouring in and floating a bit of new stuff they probably would have done it for what is called in the trade beer money. If it was a case of having to put in forms and do it right they wouldn't be interested since they can cost overrun on most municipal projects. Contractors aren't interested in little projects where they can't pad expenses. And they have to do this to cover mistakes they make. I've been given free concrete because a contractor ordered too much and doesn't want to admit it. It is easy to make a mistake converting linear measurements to cubic. And yes beer money is technically illegal.

Davit
I watched as the crew completing pouring cement into the pavement, and covered it with a tarpaulin, since it's cold.

I suppose they're bothered by homeowners who want something done for nothing, and just ignore everybody.

Since I don't wish to end up waking up  with a dead horse's head in my bed(it wouldn't fit anyway), I might not complain anymore.

However, a dark side of me hopes someone inadvertently falls into the sidewalk, and they have to do it again, and they do my sidewalk too.

Then again, maybe I'll meet Cinderella and have a glass slipper in my glove compartment
Vincenza,
It didn't occur to me why there was a resistance to going out during the winter.  But I was focused on another larger project which didn't happen, and it was so challenging.

Since being persevering is one of my new core values, I list one daily, and have for over two years, so I have lots of data, and I figure about 1300 words describing a daily little achievement.

Unfortunately, even though I rushed to the library, I was too spaced out to find the darn book on the shelf to help me cost the job, since I got as far as the project manager's secretary.

Sometimes it's better to focus on something else, since it doesn't look like it will pan out, and I don't have any figures to compare for an estimate, and might pay too much.  I even drafted a simple contract.

I need to unwind or I'll be up all night worrying about this
10 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs, 

I have fingers crossed that they can help fix the side walk for you & your mom!  
It sounds like even approaching the construction crew regarding this issue was a big accomplishment!   You should feel good about yourself and keep pursuing this cause - what further steps can you take to see that this issue gets fixed?  
Do you have examples of a time or situation where you didn't give up in order to achieve your goals?
Vincenza, Health Educator

Reading this thread: