Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Visual or Textual or Other - Minded -which are You?

12 years ago 0 11213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs,

There are certainly different ways or learning and seeing the world and no way is better than another.

Good for you for discovering your learning style.  Knowing what works for you is important for future learning and when communicating with others. 

Ashley, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hugs:  There is a whole course out there for sales people.  It teaches them how to reach different types of learners.  As you say, some like to read it, some like to hear it and some need both.  It is a colour-code system which you apply to personality too.  You wouldn't reach your audience of timid types with a boisterous speech unless you had them trusting you first.  Same as a slow boring approach wouldn't appeal to those who are more adventuresome.  I read through it once but didn't have an instructor nor the videos that go along with the course so probably didn't get all I could have.  It was very interesting to see which type you could be and most times people are a combination of more than one colour though one colour would usually stand out.  I think there was blue, gold, green and orange.

So yes, I think there are many people thinking and learning in different ways.  I am visual and hands on type of learner.  I like to write something down when learning or some will be forgotten.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hugs,

I think and visualize in 3 dimensions and can hold a whole plan or concept in my head.
It is a two edged gift. Sometimes the information load is too much. 

My first wife could not understand things if they were written but could if they were spoken. 

I have no trouble with math, theory or concepts. I have trouble with thoughts though. Some times I can't shut them off.

Davit
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm increasingly aware that I don't see the world the way others do.  I could never grasp things that are in writing, and had to tape record them, and memorize them.  Also, I've always had trouble with concepts.

Recently, I had to grasp the difference between interest rates, as I tried to write a budget for myself, but I could barely grasp that too.  I then tried to make an analogy to someone who explained how complicated the air flow systems are in a house.  I wanted a vent-less range hood on a stove, and he explained it was possible.  I can visualize that, since I'm visually minded.

Then I connected the two, kind of the like an analogy to understand, since I can't grasp speech, it seems.  I connected understanding interest rates to the stove I cook on.

Boy do I feel guilty feeling annoyed at that wonderful high school teacher who used analogies!  He was just trying to reach those of us who think differently, but I was too slow even for him

I wonder if anyone out there thinks differently, since that source of frustration probably feeds our conditions which we struggle with

Reading this thread: