Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Favourite Holiday Traditions?

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
One thing I used to do was sing  from christmas carol sheets.  These days, I find I don't make the time for this, with all the worry about things to do. 

Replacing the worry with constructive behaviour is a challenge, and I'm improving.
12 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I liked reading everyones. 

I have been 'boycotting' Christmas for about 3 years, but this year, I let go all of my anger and brought down the faux tree from the attic. I was raised by this tree since childhood and I put it up this year and I was really happy doing it. I played Christmas music as I did and spent my time wiping and dusting the old ornaments and putting them up myself. I found some really silly ones I've made when I was really small with my sibling and it took me to fun memory lane. So, I've revived my tradition of putting that tree up and I realized what I've been missing.
But my family tradition is more set on New Years... coming from my parent's culture. We make a big New Years breakfast and they are all traditional food. Can't wait to eat it. 
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi:  A French tradition - the male head of the family gives the whole family a blessing on new year's day. This included the adults, not just the children. Aunts and Uncles, cousins, etc.  It was traditional to pay a family visit to the grandparents' house on New Year's Day - it was respectful as the grandfather was the head of the household and it was the grandfather who performed this blessing.  When we lived close enough we could manage this visit and it was wonderful to meet up with aunts, uncles and cousins.  However, in the more modern world when families live farther apart, it was the father of the household who blessed the children.

We also had an old fashioned singsong.  My mother and one uncle, her brother, had lovely voices.  They had been asked to sing on radio once upon a time.  They would sing all the old songs and requests.  Some songs were join-in songs and they were fun.

This seems like such a long time ago.  I'm a grandparent now, but there is no one to continue the tradition of the blessing.  

Sunny
12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent post hugs4u! Traditions are great and can be really comforting to some, traditions usually bring forth positive memories from past experiences.

Creating new traditions can be really exciting to! With new friends, new family members, new environment...etc

Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This year I am doing something a little different..I am cooking a beef roast for Christmas dinner..Not sure if I will cook on Christmas eve or Christmas day yet..Just going with the flow and relaxing this year..We have a tree and lights again this year thanks to my partner..I make cookies yesterday while he trimmed the tree..than put some little decorations here and there around the house..Whats so unusual is that this year while we were getting out the decorations we came across things in the box that we had forgotten we had..It was all brand new to us and kind of magical..I guess we are making our own traditions this year...

Red....
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My traditions are pretty basic. Lights and a tree and a drive around to look at others.
One traditional cookie and a suet pudding. The last few years I have been alone so had a Cornish hen instead of a turkey. 
This year is different. Sunny has more traditions. 

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wonder what favourite holiday traditions are enjoyed by others?  

I  know there are staple foods which i enjoy like roasted chestnuts.  I also like chocolate(year round!).  I want to ask my family about traditions since they are helpful to enriching the experience, and connecting generations, as well as cultures.

Reading this thread: