Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,788 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

life, the universe, and everything

15 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
So I'm finding that one of my triggers (among a couple of other things) is rather existential in nature.  As soon as I start thinking about our purpose here on earth (if we have one) and what might happen to our consciousness after we pass, I start getting panicky.  I have always said that I am not a religious person, but one of the mods suggested that I was actually more spiritual than I might think, given the nature of my worry.  I have never been good with not knowing things, even on a small level (like whether a job offer will come through, that sort of thing), but I find that ever since my anxiety started it is the "big" universal concepts that trouble me.  For those of you who have gone on a real spiritual journey yourselves, and in particular I mean those who were not raised at all religiously, have you found any peace of mind?  Does your understanding (or lack thereof, like me) of life and death trouble any of the rest of you?

I am still early in the program and as such just being aware of my anxiety and learning what my triggers are seem to help a bit, but I have this intense desire to research connections between chaos theory (patterns out of chaos) and such vs. theories of the afterlife and the human perception of reality... yet realistically I know all these scientists have not been able to figure out a unifying answer yet so what chance do I have?  Does my poor brain require enlightenment in order to truly be calm?  Or must I simply accept that being alive is like switching a light on and off?
- Marisa

These are thoughts that I have a hard time challenging with logical questions, as the concepts themselves are not at all concrete.

Reading this thread: