Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Had an attack today.

12 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Went back to the same store today. I had already taken half a med before work to help balance myself for the day. So it was about 2 pm, and I needed some all purpose cleaner for my work truck (inspection day) and I also bought some snacks. Before going in I took the second half of the med. No problems today! I did not even think about anything bad. I also had work on my mind. Yesterday I had anxiety and panic on my mind.

Even though I did take meds today I was able to go back to the same exact store and not have an attack today. I am mostly fine in that store, but once in a while any store I go into can cause anxiety.

The main thing is that I got back on the horse (I know, old saying, but it fits.)

Thank you everyone
David
12 years ago 0 9 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you did great mate, i get that tingly sensation in my head all the time, its the worst thing in the world cos you think
your going to die. good thinking with the card, must remember that one......
12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Wrestler:   Sorry you felt crappy at the store. To me sounds more like some symptoms only.  I could be wrong.  Maybe the health educators can answer this.  I have had tingly sensations, or lightheadedness or racing heart and think these are only symptoms which could go into a full-blown panic attack if I fed the negative thoughts.  This is when I would slow down, use distraction techniques in a store -  I would read a few labels and do the breathing, no one knows what I am doing or ground myself by holding onto a cart or a shelf, whatever is handy.  And use positive self-talk at the same time. Do some box breathing too.  Glad you got through it and that was smart thinking about getting the card from your truck to get some time out.  I used to sit in my car for awhile to relax.  It was my safe place.  Have some water, look around or just close my eyes and box breath until I felt strong enough to go back.  You were able to go back and finish your shopping, pat on the back for that.

Your friend, Sunny
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler.

I used to wonder every time I broke down and medicated so I could get through a bad situation if I could have done it without. The answer is no. I'm a pretty determined guy. I either could do it with a lot of pain or I couldn't. No maybe, no middle ground. But once CBT started to work I could push past that uncomfortable point where I had to run to a safe circle. The symptoms were all still there only they were tolerable. All of a sudden it was okay to be sweating and have my heart racing. It was okay to be shaky and have tunnel vision. Not comfortable but okay. I was clinically impaired just not chemically so. It was okay to lean on my cart and catch my breath. And that was the thing, it did not matter what was the trigger. It just did not matter. Now it still does not matter but the symptoms are gone to. This is as normal as it gets I think. Don't get me wrong, if I let go and focus on the negative I can cause a panic attack. I don't even need a trigger. I become the trigger.
I find high anxiety days very annoying. It is just like they are there whether I want them to be or not. 

Davit.
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wrestler,
Nothings "silly" about what you said, since many of us go through the same thing every day.  These negative thoughts are like the "trash talk" guys on the other teams use against us, so we only have ourselves to cheer for us

I like what you did to slip the pill by telling the cashier you forgot the card.  That shows you're thinking

Reviewing the program is important because your language shows a refresher is needed.  An example is that you're looking at things as though they're win-lose, and I kind of think we have to grow out of that, since life's not all-or-nothing and black & white.

Posting will help you re-enforce the CBT principles, and keep you in touch with mostly positive, struggling people who want to get better.  If you start to mentor, you'll be better for it.  I believe you have that in you, since you've been an athlete and have learned a lot about overcoming obstacles and "performing".

When I look at athletes training, as I used to when I was younger, sometimes I ask myself, "what are they thinking", but then I remember the values and rewards...

12 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

Thank you for sharing with us. It may be a good idea to refresh your mind by skimming through the program again. In session 3 - challenging negative thoughts you will find the 10 questions to challenge anxiety. These 10 questions are great for challenging yourself in these moments. Print off the list of questions and you can even put a copy in your glove compartment.

Know that you are not alone, we are definitely here for you. 
Samantha, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And I did it to myself.

I have been feeling a bit more anxious lately. Basically, it's the cycle. I had a couple mini attacks since last week, and they just sorta came on whether I was not breathing correctly or just that I was anxious.

So, I was in a large chain heath food store today. I walked in thinking of possibly having a panic attack while in the back of the store. I was OK for a bit. I then picked up a few items and then started to feel a bit trapped. I get to the checkout and I started to have a lot of anxiety about whether I could enter my debit pin before having an attack. So I told the cashier I forgot my card in the truck. She said OK, so I went out to my car and took half a valium. That was the real reason I had to go out to my truck. I went back in and remembered we needed walnuts. So I paid and then was on my way. But I did have a basic panic attack where you get all tingly in the head, etc. Same stuff as always.

This all happened because of me. Like I have done so many times before.

So now that I know all this, I will now deal with the after affects, which sometimes include depression and dissociation. I am not saying these symptoms will happen, but having an attack feels like a defeat, but just like baseball, there's always another game the next night. I immediately have these fears once I begin to feel myself having the reaction.

Anyway, just felt like sharing my silly personal story. Had I taken my med before going into the store, I probably would not have had the same result.

Reading this thread: