Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,699 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CBEA KATRINA, LLYKA, aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH

Step One - For the millionth time.

9 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can relate to this...so much. I currently work in the mental health field and I'm terrified (obviously!) of being found out about how severe my panic attacks have been while on the job. I'm trying to be open with my co workers about it so for my own sake I know they aren't looking at me like I'm cross eyed and secondly so I can allow myself to walk through my fear. I hope you find some solace on here and remind yourself that these bad feelings do pass.
9 years ago 0 169 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

I'm glad you're here. I can not have gone through what I gone through without the people here! I'm hope they help u like they helped me :) 

I still get anxious sometimes, lately more often. But that's because I've understood what I do. I have this bad core belief, Davit and Ashley actually helped me find it. It's the core belief that helped getting in the way of my healing because it's in the back of my head all the time.... This was health issues. 

I work for a hospital and my unit is diagnosing bad ailments, it's bad for me to be here but I love helping others... It has a good and bad. The bad is I see all these symptoms that can be related to something bad but the good is I see all these people who love with these diseases and even cancer and there it still here, still smiling and strong.... My core belief changed after this, yes I admit sometimes I let my core belief get in the way of me ( and lately I've been worried about my health again hence it brought back the dizziness, anxiety and sadness) but been using my CBT to help push through it... To help bury the belief As Davit says.

I have to work on that more, I had an excellent 4 months with no anxiety when that belief was buried. But now it's surfaced again.... Have to bury it deeper and hopefully for good. 

I hope this helps, anxiety is real sensations but I find that it the interpretation of what I'm thinking and feeling is what's false.  

That the most important word for me "false".....

9 years ago 0 11219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Paperdoll,

I am glad you found us. It sounds like you already have a lot of insight into the anxiety. Focusing on others and even being curious about others is a great way to distract yourself from the social anxiety. Social anxiety can be so tough to tackle. The best way to tackle the anxiety is through CBT and exposure, exposure exposure. The more you challenge yourself the better. We will help you through it every step of the way.

What do you think is your first step? Have you started on the program? Most importantly, how are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome paperdoll..love the name..
I pop in from time to time and look forward to seeing you on the boards..

Red..

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome paperdoll. 

As a support person I would never say, just do it. I will say how to do it based on sound advice and/or personal experience. A few years back I was diagnosed with social anxiety. I suppose feeling that the more I know of people the more I like my cat could put me in that category. Not that I don't like people just that I don't need to be around them. I like my own company and a few close friends. But I can talk to anyone and everyone. More so now. 
I'm retired and 63 and have spent the last ten years studying this and other mental conditions. It is very interesting but can cause a fair bit of stress. In summer I garden for relaxation. I share a house with one other person and two cats. At times that can be stressful but for the very most part I have to say I won.

I have been sad often, but never technically depressed. I have very little experience of it. Arthritis and depression go hand in hand but not for me. Unless the definition is different than mine. 

CBT does work, for me at least.

Davit.
9 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi everyone,

This seems like the right place to start.  I suffer from social anxiety (& depression, but the anxiety effects my day-to-day life more, and in my opinion, intensifies the depression).  I am a 27 year old female, and this is not my first time writing a post like this, or looking at support groups, etc.  It is the first time though, that I am going to make it part of my regular routine to come here and read what others have to say and hopefully form some connections with people who understand what I am feeling.  Sometimes the most helpful thing is just to hear "I know what you mean", and actually knowing that that person DOES know.

I also find that by focusing on others, I sort of "forget" my own problems for a little while, and am hoping that this could be an outlet for that as well.  I had a career in the mental health field, but lost it due to my mental health struggles.  As a result, I lost my house as well, and am currently living with my parents. (Thank goodness for them, but it's not ideal at 27.)  I tend to be very hard on myself, so being back at home has been very detrimental to any recovery process I'd had previously.
Sometimes I know I need to be told "just DO it/GO there/SAY it" whatever it may be.  But I don't like people telling me when they don't know how hard it is.  Maybe being here will be the motivation I need.  That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

I'm not really sure what else to say.  But here's to helping each other, right?

Reading this thread: