Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,680 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD, kybrg

So Sleepy....

14 years ago 0 11218 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ladypugh,

I am sorry you are still having trouble sleeping.  It must be very frustrating for you.  

Have you thought about going to a sleep clinic or talking to someone who specializes in sleep. It could be another avenue to look.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you guys!

I'm still not sleeping well, may have to take a lunesta tonight. I cant tell whether I'm not sleeping or whether I'm sleeping fitfully. I took 2 PMs last night and didnt feel like I slept soundly.  Is there such a thing as anxiety about sleeping or lacking sleep. I know I think about it before I go to bed and I pray about it as well.

I have been reading about Roles this week.
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Ladypugh,

Great news.  I am glad you were able to figure it out with the help of your Drs. and friends.

Red

14 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ladypugh

Sounds good.

Davit.
Well I havent taken Lunesta since Thursday of last week. I did take a Tylenol PM on Friday, nothing on Saturday. I should have taken a PM last night as I didnt sleep all that much but I believe that it may not have been anxiety that kept me awake as I didnt really feel anxious.

The therapist visit went really well and he concurs with the 2nd Dr that the first jumped the gun a bit prematurely and also that the effects I was having is not what they would like to see in a patient. He believes that I was subconciously stressed and there was just that 1 additional drop of water that sent me over and that it happens to almost everyone at some point. He wants to see me again in a couple of weeks to see if we can work on some coping and distraction excersizes.

I think that I have discovered through talking with some friends what is wearing on me subconciously. I feel like I am responsible for 4 adults and so the job situation has somehow convinced me that I am going to fail and thus fail them as well. I need to keep telling myself that I am only responsible for me..I've been carrying everyone elses weight too long.
14 years ago 0 517 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's great you were able to get a second opinion and a trip to a therapist and you can opt out the meds. Let us know how it goes!!
Ladypugh

Since you don't sound like you are depressed I have to agree with this doctor.  I like psychologists, they explain things so much better than me. And one on one they can deal with your specific problem, even drawing diagrams and pictures to help. I think you will do well. I also like your determination. Good luck with this. Keep posing please.

Davit.
The 2nd Drs opinion was that I did not need to be on Lexapro at all. She feels that I can take the Xanax as needed (which I havent really needed since Saturday). I am still taking the Lunesta to sleep at night, but I'm going to try this weekend not to take it and see what the results are.

I'm seeing a psychologist on Friday and I hope that they can also help work with me on the anxious thoughts.
Valium (diazepam) is the oldest of the benzodiazapene. It is also the mildest with the least amount of side effects. Xanax and Clonasapam are newer and stronger. All are the same class of drug. Anti anxiety. They allow you to sleep and in that way leave you less depressed.

Davit.
14 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
ladypugh,
This sounds like a wise decision.  Its always a good idea to get a 2nd opinion especially if your doctor doesn't want to talk to you about possibly switching to a different medication.  As for the Xanax.  I have xanax that I can take if I have trouble sleeping and only take it when I need it.  If I am having really bad anxiety and haven't been able to sleep for a few days I will take one at bed time and get into bed and put on a talk radio channel.  I will pick a none serious channel where they talk about ufo's or planets etc. etc. or a Christian channel of some sort.  If  I can't relax and one xanax doesn't work than I will take a second one, but 2 is my limit. If this doesn't work the first night than I will try it again the second night and I have always been able to sleep by the second night.  I also do not want to become dependent on xanax and have not yet.  If I need to I will take it.  I have had xanax at me disposal to take as needed for about 6 yrs now and have not become dependent on it, but I do like knowing it is available if I need it.  As for the SSRI type drugs I have tried some of them in the past and don't care for them, they made my anxiety worse and I felt like I was going crazy and losing my mind on them.  I have never taken Lexapro so I can't comment on it. I do like Valium as a alternative to xanax because I can take it in the day time with out feeling drugged and it does not give me a hangover.  I have not had any in a long time am I am thinking about changing from xanax to Valium.    I hope this information and my personal experience with meds has helped you.  I wish you luck with your Dr. appt. Monday and hope you and the new Dr. can get your meds straightened out.

Red

Reading this thread: