Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

What? Simulate Panic? No Way!?

9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ashley,

I am planning a camping trip as a reward. That weekend I am also going to be a passenger on the freeway/highway as part of exposure therapy and make it to the candle shop I have avoided for years and reward myself with a candle as well. I'm excited about both of these.
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm glad Davit was able to explain the importance of this session to you. It does seem a little strange at first but all it is is a different kind of exposure. And overcoming anxiety is all about exposure, exposure, exposure.

Congrats on how far you have come! This is not easy work. How have you been rewarding yourself for all your hard work?

Ashley, Health Educator
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JayDee

Good, recovery is far more freedom than just getting by. Some coping skills like "want to" cross over and work for multiple triggers. Visualization does this too. And you are right, some days are only bad because there is no coping skill. This you will fix in time. It is worth the time if it means it never comes back.

Davit.
 Davit,

Yes, it does make sense. After reading the rest of the session, I understood why it is necessary. It just took me by surprise at first. Some days, I feel like I have moved along in the program to fast, I have been doing a session a week,  I have learned so much in such a short time, but I am doing much better now, then I was before the program. I realized today after looking back on my diary, that there are certain triggers that I am still lacking some coping skills for, so I am working on finding how to learn coping skills for those specific triggers. I don't want to just get by, I want recovery.  
9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JayDee

Why not?  The object of CBT is not to make the triggers go away (they won't) but to change how you react to them. So if it is working you can simulate a trigger and have it cause panic and stop the panic in it's tracks. Can you do that? Have you not been doing that with your coping and relaxation skills or have you been tolerating it because you thought like many that at the end of the program it would go away never to come back again? Well it can but only if you are ready. So it sounds like you have moved along too fast and aren't ready yet. From all I have seen here you will be, you have the determination. Maybe you need more coping skills specific to your triggers.
Most triggers are non realistic fears and knowing that can be enough. Mantras and changing how you think can be enough but if they are very strong you may need more. 
Here is an example: I'm not claustrophobic but I have limited flexibility now so the thought of being stuck in a confined space is terrifying. Instant panic which it draws on from my memory and invariably I start thinking about being stuck in a culvert. My coping skill for this is to use visualization. I take a scene from a movie about little animals using a culvert to cross under a road, add the large culvert here under the road and transpose them onto the situation at the moment and I see myself as a little mouse in a big culvert which changes to me sitting in a big culvert watching the world go by. This gives me time to stop the panic long enough to realize I would never get into a situation like a culvert or any other tight place. It gives me time to realize the trigger was a stupid unrealistic thought. 
So can I think of what it would be like to be stuck in a culvert. Yes I can and some times it has absolutely no panic and some times I have to shut it down but the point is that I can do it and have no need to ever fear it again.
The other point is that no matter what it is that is a trigger I can think something to counter it and almost all of it I do subconscious now.
Starting small when simulating panic will put the skills in place where you can and will use them without conscious thought. This may be the most time consuming part of the program, but doing it is the difference between recovery and just getting by. Getting by is fine but it limits your ability and you have more ability than that, we all do, we just need to find it.
It is like exposure, exposure doesn't cure anything but the skills you have so you can do exposure do. Exposure like simulating panic is a test of how well you have these things in place. When you have them well established you will use them without even realizing you have which in turn causes you to have no need to pay attention to the trigger and it fades away, sometimes never to come back again.
Like the saying, "if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it does it make a sound? " Of course it does but if no one hears it is it relevant? Only if you make it so.
Any questions? I hope this helps explain why simulation is necessary.

Davit.
I just read the first page of the Session- Simulating Panic. I've worked really hard to decrease the risk of having a panic attack by learning as much as I have and doing the homework thus far. Now, I can say I'm nervous about this session. So, this was my quick pause before I continue on with the session. My brain is still repeating "huh?" and I'm questioning the need for this. It's part of the program, so there is a need for it?  

Reading this thread: