Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,511 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Diva news...

15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Diva:

You know what kid I like your outlook & I have read that people who have an optimistic outlook fair better than others.  It comes down to what you think will happen, if you think it will work out, it will  - hope & resiliency play such a big role.

15 years ago 0 538 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Last time I saw my therapist he gave me some psychometric tests to fill out. Today we discussed what came out of it. It was hard to hear and at the same time fascinating and interesting. It will give me lots to think about. I won't share all of it with you here as it would take too long lol.

But what came out, is that I have several symptoms of anxiety and depression, that it would seem I am in an anxious state and a depressive state. I am a a perfectionist and very very hard on myself, if not down right mean to myself. I have a lot of inner conflict. Finally, I am slow to change, kind of afraid of change and stubborn and like to be in control.

So basically, I am anxious and depressed.  I need to make a lot of changes in my lifestyle and my thinking. Except that I hate change, am stubborn and only like things to happen my way lol! 

Seriously, I am glad we did this. It gives me things to think about and an idea of what is going on with me and what needs to get done and what needs changing. 

We discussed medication. We came to the conclusion adding and anti-depressant to my anxiety meds would be the best way to go. I have cut out my sleeping meds as my insomnia doesn't really go away lol. Tomorrow I see my doctor so I can discuss it with her too, so that is good. 

So that is what is up with me today. All in all though, I still feel oddly well despite being anxious, depressed  and tired. I know it doesn't make much sense. But I feel hopeful that things are on the mend and that I will get better.

And hey, compared to where I was and where my life was say 5 years ago, atm I am feeling stellar! Life just goes on improving for me despite the ups and downs. I just know it will keep getting better and this is just a rough phase.

This too shall pass!
Hey Faryal,

How are you today? Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do feel I am gaining control on the PAs and it feels great. I am not so afraid of them anymore. It takes the power they have over me away. Because in reality, the PAs only have the power me that I allow them to have. I feel much more confident now in my abilities to deal with PAs and get through my days and over obstacles. It is a nice feeling. Oh and thanks for the pat on the back! !

Hey Joe,

"A bumpy ride on a rough road" I love that. You have a way with expressions lol.  Yeah, the decision making and the cleaning out the good ol' attic is helping although it is tiresome lol. I guess I am getting to know myself and what I need and want. Mostly I am learning to trust myself that I can take care of myself and get through things well :)

As for the hubby you are right. These things take time. But there are some positive signs and that is something to hold on to. And yes we do love and appreciate each other when we are not fighting . His willingness to keep trying gives me great hope.

YEah, Doctor who. I used to watch it as a kid. Became a complete addict when it got revamped in 2005. Love the 9th and 10th Doctor. Not sure which i like best, they were both great. In 2010, we get the 11th Doctor. Intrigues to see if I will like him lol. Doctor who is so great. And yeah, not everybody knows I am a sci-fi dork but I am lol.  And hey, glad to see I am not the only proud dork here lol! 

As for the anxiety, you put it exactly right. More anxiety, better coping skills, less fear, more acceptance, overall more well-being. I am glad to see you are a survivor not a victim. I feel the same now. I am a survivor, a warrior, I am strong. As for you changing your frame of thought, I think it is wonderful and am very proud of you for all you have conquered and accomplished for yourself.  And hey, I am right out there with you taking on life by a storm. And hey, I pick hope too! Good choice!

And yes this too shall pass! We will be ok! Cheers to both of us Joe! 

15 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear ya, Doc.  2008 was a bumpy ride on rough roads.  Great news hearing about all the things you've made a decision on!  That's a humongous step, and one that will definitely be rewarding, after all this is your life, why not live by your standards?  As for your hubby, nothing changes overnight...but the fact that both of you are keeping at it shows a great deal of love and appreciation for each other.

Lol Doctor Who, I never watched it, but I do know what your talking about.  Which Dr. Who did you like (wasn't there a couple of them throughout the years?)  Lol didn't know you were a sci-fi dork, I'm an all around dork with a bit of sci-fi, action-junky, the whole nine yards....so right there with ya on the proud factor!

I do understand you have more anxiety but it's under control.  Kinda where I'm at, where I see it, feel it, but can better cope with it and accept it...overall fear it less now.  I consider myself a survivor now, rather then a victim.  Because I've changed my frame of thought, I'm facing things I didn't think possible previously.  Each day is a struggle, but one I'm willing to take on till I'm covered in hope or dirt....I'm going for hope though!

Congrats on everything!  You are sounding GREAT, Doc!  Keep making those strides, one day, one way or another we'll be ok!  Cheers!
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,

Glad to see you feel like you are gaining control with the PA's just from your attitude of letting them ride. You have developed a great outlook and it's great to see that you feel strong and confident about getting through your day!

Great job!

Faryal, Health Educator
Hey guys,

Whoever came up with the idea of waking up early before dawn to get ready to go to work before the sun rises, was a sadist! 

As you can tell I am not a morning person. Not by any stretch of the imagination. So here I am having woken up at 10 past 6 am! AM! It is dark and it gives me the jitters. I am tired which makes me more anxious. I have my first big day with tons of new students. I will actually be leaving in the dark!

I had a few PAs in the last 3 days. This led to a bit more meds being taken. But I guess that is ok. I also have been waking up in sweat. I mean drenched in it. I have been having some funky nightmares. One of the PAs I woke up to. Now that was fun...Had not done that in a while.

Oddly enough though, I will get up from this PC soon. I will get ready. I will go to work. And I know I will be just fine. I am not only going to get through this day but I will do it well. I am strong. 

Even having the PAs were just not as bad...I guess I could say it was taking the meds that helped, but I think it is just me getting through them better. That and the fact, it didn't bother me. I don't feel the need to anticipate the next attack. I think I am making peace with this disorder and moving on. Who knows. Anyway, gotta run. The sadists got me and I need to go to the bus in the dark!

Later guys and take care.
Hey CM,

Congratulations on all your accomplishmets! That is so great. I am very proud of you. You should definetely treat yourself and pat yourself on the back! Woohoo!

Thanks for the update!
HEy Sarah,

Glad you are doing well. How your weekend was nice.

As for changes, I really do think I am making positive changes for myself and figuring things out, cleaning out the attic so to speak.

As for things with my husband, I am hopeful they will settle down and get better.

I have great plans for the year to come! 2009 will be a good year.
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Congrats on entering semester 2 CM! Good on ya
Thanks for the update as well. Please keep us posted on how things are doing,

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Ya Diva:

A round of applause for all your successes, taking the bus to work and working more hours (in spite of the depression and anxiety).  Way to go!

I know the feeling of being sapped of energy and your right it does force you to stop and take a look at yourself, so congrats on making important decisions which I'm sure will have a positive impact on your health.

As for me well I started semester 2 last week, which is quite an accomplishment for me since I didn't think I would make it through semester 1.  I am looking forward to being back at school & am still in the process (a very slow one) of completing my final english essay.  I met with my teacher last week and am meeting again with her this week to let her see what I have got so far.  I was supposed to start volunteering in the college library last Friday, did you notice the key word here - supposed?  I showed up at my expected time but the guy who was supposed to train me wasn't there, another worker said he hasn't been feeling well all week.  So I roamed around & waited for him.  Fifteen minutes later he shows up I go over to see him, you know what he says ( of course you don't).  He said I forgot about you, then begins to tell me he hasn't been feeling well (all his symptoms of course).  At this point I'm started to get ticked off as I don't have any classes on Friday and only came in to volunteer.  The weather was crappy to boot.  I suggested to him if he wasn't prepared for me maybe I should come back next week.  He asked me if I woudn't mind ( hey I'm the one who suggested it).  I of course said no (trying to put on a smile), then I couldn't believe what he said, what's your name?  At this point I felt like a complete nothing, first he forgets about me then he doesn't even remember my name.  After hearing that I thought no way do I want to work with a guy who can't even remember my name!  I spoke with one of my teachers and told her my feelings, she said maybe he was just having a bad day.  We are talking about 10.15 in the morning, he was maybe in 5 - 10  minutes.

Some days are pretty good, I actually never thought I would say that.  I still struggle with mood swings, the occaisional pa and other delightful aspects of the disorder. 

Well that's my story to date.

Reading this thread: