Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Non - stop heart palpitations.

16 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello lorlee, You are definitely not alone. In fact this is one of the main symptoms of my anxiety and panic attacks. In fact I don't even know which comes first the palpitations or the anxiety. I may not be thinking about anything when out of the blue there it is skipped beats, added beats, fast beats, or too slow beats. Fluttering and jumping sensations in my chest with flushing of my face. They make me feel so out of breath and worn out. I have been to 5 cardiologists... who find nothing wrong but a sino atrial node that seems to get mixed messages from an overactive nervous system. I have had echo's, EKG's, holter monitor, that month long event monitor, and a stress test. The doctor's see my irregular rhythm. But it does me no harm... it is just a nuisance! They say my sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system wage war against each other. I more I am afraid the worse it gets... And it seems I get into loops of seemingly endless days this way. They told me that there is some treatment where they can go in and zap the cells that get overcharged by my nerves. But just thinking of them messing with my heart can even start an attack... so I won't go there!!! My heart symptoms are worse when I am ill or have my menses. Stomach bug and fevers really set it off. My doctor checks for dehydration and low potassium levels. Most usually she send me to ER for re-hydration through IV, IV potassium and ativan in just a short time things start too smooth out. Two weeks ago I just started getting better from pneumonia. I had it since Jan. 31. I struggled with a fast heart rate in excess of 138 bpm resting and 178 bpm when up. It didn't help that I was lacking for air, coughing continuously, 102 fever, and medications, such as prednisone wiped me out the rest of the way. The on top of it all I am so afraid of having to take new medications... I was anxious knowing I needed to take them and I was anxious thinking about what if I didn't take them. Through both the illness and my anxiety I had become totally worn out. Also, I have become so deconditioned, because I was unable to do anything for so long. Now, I feel fatigued, out of breath and a fast heart rate due to this. All symptoms that are normal, but I am not able to see it this way, so this is really making me more anxious which compounds the problem of me getting back into shape. I would rather much continue to stay in bed or sitting in a chair. Well, enough rambling...I wish you a speedy recovery as I am trying to do the same myself... you are not alone... it will get better as it always has...
16 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello lorlee. I'm new here and saw your post. I've been suffering with this for about 25 years so i do know some things. I would visit your doctor and ask him to have a echocardiogram done. I think that's what it's called. like an ultra sound of the heart. I ended up in the hospital twice. once about 13 years ago and then again about a month ago. The first time they told me it was anxiety, but this felt different to me. the heart palpatations are very scarey. it turned out after me making them do an ultrasound that i have mitral valve prolapse, two leaking valves and a murmer. It's not dangerous but it's scary and annoying. It can't hurt to have them check that for you. The monitor i wore for a month and it didn't show anything. wishing you a quick recovery. Lori "tikithyme"
16 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Lorlee, Please don't worry about "going on about this". This is what the forums are for, to get support from people who understand :) And hey, in your shoes, I would post also, heart palpitations are just a pain. I am glad to see though that you are exploring your options. Sometimes with trial and error you really end up finding stuff that works great for you. And as you pointed out, you sharing this with us will enable others to learn from your experience. So thank you for sharing with us :) Anyway, I wish I had something more to say to make this easier for you. I just wanted to say this too shall pass! :) Have a good evening and take care :) -Diva
16 years ago 0 165 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Diva and Sue for the support and suggestions,it helps me a lot. I feel like I have been going on and on about this but I am having them every day and getting real tired of dealing with them. I am starting to increase foods (ie bananas, yogurt) that have potassium in them that are supposed to help. Hopefully with my own little trial and error I can help others who end up going through this too. Sue you are so right about the distraction idea as when I focus on RELAXING I seem to get more tense :) Thanks again and I hope evryones New Year brings them Peace and Happiness.
Hiya Lorlee! I am sorry to hear you had a rough night. But hey, you took the steps to take good care of yourself and should be happy with yourself for that :) As for peri-menopause, I am not there yet, but I definetely get how it could affect anxiety. I know when I amhormonal, I just feel way more anxious way easier. But as with all things, perimenopause/menopause will pass and in the meantime I think you have all the right tools and capacities to take good care of yourself :) I really think you can do this and that with the great New Year's resolution you took you will have a great 2008 :) Anyway, I really wish I had more useful things to say to help out. Know that you are in my thoughts. Be good and patient with yourself and remember we are here wether it is to support you or celebrate with you :) Have a nice day! -Diva
16 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lorlee, I'm glad the palpitations are calming down a bit, its so frightening isn't it ? We've all been there and know that its the most horrible thing, but just an idea, what if instead of breathing and relaxation exercises you used distraction as a method of coping ? Or a bit of both ? Relaxation exercises are good especially when we're really stressed but sometimes it tends to focus on the problem, if you know what I mean. You're trying to relax because you're panicky, queasy whatever, but sometimes its almost as though the focus is too much, and sometimes I found I was much better using distraction sometimes, playing a computer game, writing a letter, doing a puzzle,painting, nothing too difficult but taxing enough to hold my interest and not let my mind wander. I used to think this may have been avoidance but I really don't think it is if its used as well as other coping techniques. I hope this makes sense to you, and may be of some use. Hang in there, hope 2008 is your year !!
Hi Diva, Had a bit of a rough night. Woke up to palpitaions and of course felt panicky, started to do my deep breathing and self-talk to calm it down. I ended up taking half an Ativan then I began to feel better. I'm thinking that there is a good chance this is related to peri-menopause/menopause as lucky me I am hitting the age when it can start. I have cut down so much on the caffeine and chocolate that I do not believe that is the problem anymore. From what I have read I have to learn to keep busy to take my mind off of them, do relaxtion breathing and of course challenge my thoughts. Easy to say when I am not in the midst of them thats for sure. I know that I have to take personal responsibility as I have not been coming to this site enough and have not been working the program. So I am back. I am determined to start this New Year taking care of me and doing what is good for my mental health. Thanks for listening!!!
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Members, Undoubtedly, attacks are both scary and frustrating but don't forget your skills. Thought challenging can be an effective way to break that cycle! Hope you feel better soon. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
Hello Lorlee, I am glad to hear the palpitations are subsiding a bit. And boy do I ever get what you are saying. The anticipating is well a real pain. And having to spend all that extra energy really makes it harder to feel good. I think we all hit thosepoints where we feel like saying why me or why can't this just go away. Hang in there, this too shall pass. And in the meantime feel free to come vent with us. We are here for you. -Diva
Dear Tesha, Thank you for responding to my post. The palpitations are subsiding but I find myself anticipating them now. It is so frusterating. I am pretty certain the stomach flu contributed greatly to me having them at such an intense level. I was so depressed about the whole situation. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to the energy we expend every day dealing with the panic and get so tired of feeling you have to fight each day for some peace in our lives. But as usual, I will keep on keeping on as we really have no other choice.

Reading this thread: