Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,631 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC

Understanding "issue" with blood

12 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi,
I'm just wondering if anyone here can relate to an issue I am having. I can give shots (I work around animals) but I get incredibly uneasy about seeing blood. In particular MY blood. Then it progressed to blood of someone I cared about and then to the sight of any blood.   When I was young I was not uncomfortable with this kind of thing at all but I can tell its getting worse as I get older, though I am only in  my mid twenties. 
I have thrown up on several occasions and almost black out on many occasions. Now it tends to lead to a panic attack unless I am able to distract or remove myself from the situation. I did faint once when I was about 7 and it really scared me but that was when I had the flu...no blood involved!
It has gotten to the point that even when I am in class for example and we are talking about internal organs or brain parts I get really uncomfortable and panicky feeling. I am a psych major so we talk about the brain a lot. Although I find it really interesting I get sick feeling every time. Most of the time I have to leave the classroom for a few minutes or if I can in a conversation with friends change the subject. I do ok reading about it in books but hearing it out loud or seeing it is recipe for disaster. 
I  do my best to avoid having to be around blood as I have no desire to be a nurse or doctor, but I dont like that it is effecting me to the point where just hearing about the insides of the body makes me want to pass out. I dont like to feel limited by this.  Any suggestions..?

Reading this thread: