Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

why do i cry so much??

12 years ago 0 1665 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda:  Good luck with the med. change.  Hope it helps.

Sunny
12 years ago 0 424 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think i may now know why??
I seen that new doctor today,and for my age,i am on way to much harmones!!!!!
I am taking what they would give a women of 40, full blown menopause woman!
that was great back then..but,i am now 64..post all that!
So maybe iam on harmone overload!!!
Can that happen???
Anyway,she is decreasing my dosage little by little,so that may be a big help to me!!!
Bren

12 years ago 0 250 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I cry too. I think I cried about 3 times this week and it is Wednesday! I think crying can be good, I know I always feel better after. But it is a good idea to go with your gut feelings and be held for a bit. Even if it is only in our minds/imagination. 

I didn't have a loving relationship with my mother so I try to imagine what it would have been like to have been held etc. It is kind of bittersweet in a way but it can help. 
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda,
Glad to hear back from you

Thanks so much everyone!
It means so much to me,to know iam not alone in the things i do,as i am retired,and my husband is too,we had so many plans..but all that went to the way side in this economy were in, but back to the crying thing,yes, its because mothers day is here,and i was born on that day,so its also my birthday time too..
In just 4 years time,i lost most of my family,i have two sisters, and ofcorse my children..but my brother,my mom,my dad,my cousins,and numerous aunts and uncles..i really didnt have time to grive over one,until it was another who died..that may be why i do cry at certian times..
My daughter, just went through 2 years of being cancer free,as she had breast cancer, that was so hard to get through!
She also had an unexpected baby,that we almost lost,and had to be air lifted to louisville ke to kosars hospital for children,but she ok now,and such a sweet little blessing to us all!
She will be all of 3yr come june 1st!
I am counting my blessings,and i am blessed indeed,my husband of 45 years is in good health,and were lucky in somany ways to have each other..our youngest son has had to move back in,,as he lost his job,and there hard to find!
But,i am not complaning..i just cry out of the blue for hours at times,maybe its a way for me to release the stress i have in me at that time,or post menopause things..harmones..but yes i agree!!!
It is a release!!!!!!!
Brenda
12 years ago 0 356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda,

We have not met I don't htink. I have been away from the forum due to work and other things. Nice to meet you.

I have a long history with crying! :) I don't think I will ever stop being someone who cries easily and therapeutically.

I cry about 2-3 times a week. I used to panic when I started to cry because I would feel abandoned (because I was alone and had been abandoned for crying as a chld). Things have changed a lot for me tahnks to CBT and DBT techniques.

Sometimes I am crying I want to be alone and just get out the tension via the tear ducts. Sometimes when I am crying, I really want someone there and sometimes I am crying specifically because the person I want to be there isn't and can't be because I lost them. 

I used to have panicked thoughts while crying and that made it a hard experience. With CBT, DBT and some medication, I now cry the same amount but at least 50 % of the time now, my thoughts while I am crying stay positive or at least not panicky. I feel the release, I let myself release, I give myself permission to cry for 10 minutes or so, I know it will be over, that this emotional release is transient and that if I stifle it or try to stop it before it is naturally over, I am going to prolong it (learned that one the hard way but trying to stifle it). If I tell myself to stop crying, I can almost guarantee I will feel crummy for 30 minutes or a whole day. If I tell myself to go into the bedroom and cry for as long as it takes, I am usually out of there 5 or 10 minutes later. It passses on its own . It is a beautiful thing really. I feel badly that men have been told not to let themselves have that epxerience. Davit is such a wonderful man for being open about how this is a human need, not a weakness or feminine specific thing.

I also ignore people who tell me to calm down or stop crying. If I am crying, it means my body is releasing something. If it makes them uncomfortable I think peopl should leave not tell me to stop crying. I was't always this way. I was a pleaser for a long time. An exhausted people pleaser who let people talk me out of crying because it made them uncomfortable.

Let it out! There is lots of kleenex in the world! :)

mothers day is tough. I hope you have someone who can be with you while you let out your sadness and grief about losing your mother. If not, post here, there are such kind people here for you.

hugs,

loves trees (and loves a good cry)

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great support and advice everyone!

Yes..crying can be a great release and very therapeutic.

Josie, Health Educator
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda.

Survival techniques keep us sane in an insane world. There is a lot of subconscious going on every day. The subconscious is more likely the trigger that brings thoughts of your mother to the forefront. I miss my mom too and she has been gone now for forty two years. 

Actually crying, (for men and women) is a very good release. I'm 60 and find myself thinking about the past and getting sad. It is silly really because it was a pretty good past. But some of it is worth crying over. Some just because it is so funny.

Davit
12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda,.
I think we go into and out of the panic cycle, depending on our situations and how we're perceiving we're coping.  Obsessing on a symptom, like heart racing or crying can feed that cycle.  Today being mother's day weekend, might trigger some of us, so we might need some TLC and CBT more specific techniques(progressive relaxation,thought records,posting,etc)
There are a lot of days lately,all i want to do is cry, and cry, all day,it comes on sudden,i know its close to mothers day,and my mom passed away a few years back,and yes i miss her so much...
could this be a trigger to cause all the upset?
Could it be,my harmones are out of wack again?
At my age 63,you would think i would be past this...
Brenda

Reading this thread: