Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,657 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE

How much does touch help?

22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I was running out of the movie theatre in a state of panic, tunnel vision honing in - hearing nothing but the beat of my heart, seeing the mouths moving on the faces of the people around me but hearing no sound just the fuzz in my head - I was no one, just lost in the crowd - I ran in the bathroom to find solace, found none, ran back out to the maze of a 24 movie theatre - I was 'peaking', freaking, out of control - all I could think of was to find a police officer, a stranger - and when I did make my way to the police officer, he did take me in his arms, told me everything was going to be o.k., he would take care of me - and he did, he called the paramedics - then, while he was consoling me in front of probably 100 people (I did not care) a wonderful lady, a professor at FAU in a beautiful black suit with sweet eyes - looked into mine - she saw me having trouble from way across the crowd - made her way to me and said: Look into my eyes, I won't leave you, are you having a panic attack? She took me into her arms, her friend, who is a nurse, also put her arms around me - two strangers saw my plight, came to my side - I will never forget those two courageous, compassionate women - they stayed with me until my friends were found in the theatre - they even came inside the emergency vehicle with me - when my friends came, they even stayed to explain. They walked me to our car and we said a good bye only two people who share the same panic attacks can do. They were strangers that helped me through a horrendous situation. There are many wonderful people out there in the world - I only hope I will be able to reach out and help someone like me someday, I will feel honored. Bye for now, Maria
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Anne-Marie, I have been thinking about this question since you posted it, and cannot get it out of my mind. A hug always helps everything. I am not sure, that I would want to be in a strangers arms. Maybe I am insecure, but I fear the unknown, when it comes to people I don't know. Tnere is too much scamming and crime that involves vulnerable people now. Maybe if I was involved with someone , I would want him to hug me..as like I said, a hug helps everything ! I never want to "run" during an attack..I am much too involved in being trapped to see any way out. I see myself under a vehicle, in a bloody mess. Much too injured to move. Most of my panic now involves the driving situation, and I surely would not want to run on an Interstate highway or even the roads here. If anything I would want to dissapear into a soft, warm, safe and secure place. The next time I have an attack, I will try to visualize this "hug", and I will have to visualize a man as well, It will be difficult to do this and still drive..I can pull over, like I do most of the time. I need something to visualize that won't take my attention at the wheel. Driving phobias can be tricky. Luckily I have a good imagination, as do mst artists. Thank you for a safe place to think of. Red.
22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Maria. This is a helpful reply for those people who don't know what to do when they come upon someone in a panic attack. Thanks for explaining the running-away aspect of it too.
22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Anne-Marie, Interesting and most poignent question. I feel that the answer is an absoulute yes. I have thought long and hard about this issue. MVP or not, if I am in a full blown panic attack, if someone will just hold me, I mean a real strong hug, and I don't want them to let me go. Now, the reason why? Well, it stops me from 'running away' - If I was a cave dweller or wilderness wolf woman of a sort, If I had a panic attack I could just break out in a full run! And find a place to hide. Maybe in this 'world' we can only run into someones arms and feel safe from what ever we are running from. Make any sense? Maria
22 years ago 0 1062 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
In a panic situation, I've heard some of you say that having someone reassure you helps. Does having someone hold you, or even take your hand make a big difference in eaing the attack and calming you?

Reading this thread: