Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,626 Members

Please welcome our newest members: TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO

Panic is back.

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tess, That's great! Keep going and don't forget to work the program tools on the left. :) Danielle _________________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I've just joined the group and I had a whale of a panic attack this morning, when I was trying to get to the hairdresser's. I want to look good, it's my farewell party after 34 years as a university teacher of English for Spanish speakers and more than 40 in teaching. I was with my daughter , but when I saw an open space I freaked out, screamed, and two people had to help me cross the street to get to the place. I felt awful, panicky and silly for quite a while afterwards.I also needed two people to help me get back home. So, I'm going to try your strategy Beth, as I am practically always beset by negative thoughts. I've just written down two negative ones and the two positive counterparts!
17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hope it helps! It sure has helped me all day today! :)
17 years ago 0 207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beth, That is a good idea. I keep a journal but you always write down the negative thoughts instead of the positive ones. I am going to give that a shot because positive thinking in itself can help make you better. Thanks for sharing that.
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Beth, That's a great strategy! Thank you for sharing it with us! Danielle _________________________ The PC Support Team
17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Change, I am sorry to hear about your attacks coming back. That too, is why I am here. I was fine for about 3 years with the anxiety of course, but no full blown panic attacks until yesterday afternoon. What I started to do which has made me feel better since then (as you know, you say to yourself "Aww mannn here we go again..") is I started a journal of sorts. On the piece of paper in the left top I write NEG and then on the right top I write POS. I draw a line between the two and then throughout the day, if I have any negative thoughts such as "I may have another panic attack" or "I am feeling kind of yucky, here we go again" I write that thought in the negative side. I then "COUNTER ATTACK" (what I call it!!) with a POSITIVE REDIRECT THOUGHT such as "I'm alright!" or "If it is another attack, I know I am ok!!" "I AM IN CONTROL!" always with an exclamation mark after the positive thought to make it more important than the negative thought I had. Since I started this yesterday afternoon, I have had anxiety but it quickly gets stuffed in it's place and counteracted with a positive thought that seems to be working. As time goes on and you see less and less negative thoughts being written down, you can be proud of yourself for getting yourself through the bad time. I hope this helps! Beth :)
17 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can so relate to this. I had eight months off from work when I first starting having panic attacks, and my boss decided to put me on light duties, I was so bored !! And of course that gave me time to think, and mull over, and just get extremely anxious because I had nothing to do. So I went looking for work ! Volunteered to help anyone, with anything ! Just to keep my mind busy, and eventually I began to have days when I was less anxious, and then days when I wasn't anxious at all. It took some time, but occupation definately helps. Yes there may be another reason why you feel anxious, but I don't always agree that you have to go looking for answers, just stay busy, but balance that with rest, and time for you, no-one else, and maybe you could use THIS time to analyse why you feel the way you do. Its not something you have to do all the time. Inactivity makes you think about your problems, be it panic or anything else, thats normal ! I just know you'll do fine, believe in yourself, you're worth it !! Good luck
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Change, Have you kept a diary or journal for everyday use? This may help you pinpoint why and when they are happening. Have you begun the program? If work is slow, this may be a great time to challenge your thoughts and share with the members. We can all be of assistance to you. Take it step by step and let us know if we can help :) Keep Strong, Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
17 years ago 0 30 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Angel. I'm not sure what exactly triggered them this time. All I do know is that work has been more slow as of late, and maybe I have more time to sit with the silence. Like I said, I am at a new job, have been for about two months. I was fine until recently...I started having the physical manifestations of panic, anxiety...when your body is on high alert-the sensitivity to light, feelings of dizziness, etc.
17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Have you thought about why they came back? Try to think about that. Is there any changes in ur life lately>? anything deeply bothering you?

Reading this thread: