Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

How do you use the Panic Center postings, etc. with your personal treatment?

12 years ago 0 4027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Davit,
Making that room in one's life is like "thinning" in gardening.  I didn't understand the term until I read about it in a book about spirituality, of all things.

I suppose my fear about making room in my life is that there will be an emptiness or void or a confrontation of some ugly truth - my mortality probably.

I certainly have been busy my whole life, but I've prayed and meditated my brains out asking for intervention, change...I guess I'm back where everyone begins.

With just 'lil ol me
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
~m

Definitely a core belief, which is okay if you know it. So that gives you something besides the reaction (shame) to challenge. Challenge the core and all that is attached to it should fall by the wayside with it. It did for me. I challenged a couple of core beliefs and ended up with a big empty space in my thinking. I filled that space with positive but it was hard. I had such a tendency to want to put negative back in there. I am winning slowly and the core has much less control. I do not have to challenge it so often now. Time and patience, two things I don't have enough of.

Davit.
~m,
I think the discussions are like conversations.  I cut people slack because they're aren't well, and might not be aware of how they affect others.  In the case where I post in a supportive manner, and am ignored, I would make an analogy.

If we're at a party, and I say something to you, would you ignore me?  Of course not, unless you were lack in the social graces.  ~m, don't be hard on yourself, since many of us just missed the "boarding school" experience, or didn't have the upbringing to understand.

Asserting oneself is a great way of coaxing others.  eg.  When I space out, I usually hear "...we've lost Hugs..." or "....earth to Hugs....".  

Some people have a knack of letting you know what you need, and I wish I could learn before I'm looking for motorized wheelchairs on sale.

My gift to the world, because I've been so slow, was to leave the legacy of patience, since everyone has been so patient with me
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well... it is slow going but definitely working.  And, yes, I do believe it to be a very basic core belief.  I hate to use another food analogy, but it's like a good cut of beef which is finely marbled throughout... shame is marbled throughout my entire system.  It's affected everything.  I'll address one issue and be making progress and then BAM! shame cuts me off at the knees.  Like everything else we've learned to challenge with CBT ... a lot of the shame dissipates when confronted in an assertive manner.  I tend toward being very passive and just giving up or else very aggressive, angry at myself for allowing the shame to get me again.  I feel so much shame about feeling shame... can't win.  Except now all that is beginning to change.

One example is that when I post something on this forum and do not get any sort of response, I immediately go into shame mode... Nobody is answering because what I wrote is so stupid or rude or out of context.  If I post to encourage a member and then they don't show back up... then surely it is I who chased them away and ruined everything. I "speak" and people either ignore me or run away.  Shame, shame, shame.

When I stop and question that shame with confidence (not hating on myself or lying down in defeat) ... well, the shame gets embarrassed and weakens... it just doesn't hold up.  There are many reasons people respond or don't respond to each others' posts.  Most, have absolutely nothing to do with the poster.  Lives are complex.  I know that I am welcome here on this site.  And that I'm not stupid or insensitive (for the most part).  So feeling shame about sharing with the group and wanting to run away and erase myself from the forums is just not justified.

I still feel the shame... new topic... new shame... there is so much!  But challenging it is working.  Hopefully it will be like challenging the anxiety and fear and the whole process will get easier, simpler, almost automatic.  Thank you so much for asking ... and listening ... and believing :)
~m

Sounds like you have a good therapist. I'm curios, how successful have you been challenging shame? Has it given you a release? Does it keep coming back, like core beliefs? Since it may well be one.

Davit. 
12 years ago 0 376 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent question Hugs!  I had an appointment with my therapist yesterday and brought the whole discussion about shame (from the ugly thread) with me.  It was very, very helpful.  I have been feeling so lost as to how to explain what was going on in my head on this topic.  Couldn't even journal coherently.  Just kept feeling like my brain was all tangled up like a bowl of cold, sticky spaghetti. (At first I thought maybe it was like a tangled ball of yarn and I just needed to find the ends to begin to tease it apart... but then more and more ends where showing up... thus the sticky spaghetti... what can I say... I'm very visual).

Anyway.............. in session we were able to see that each of the members who posted about shame were right on target for what I was feeling and trying to understand.  Not only that, but that my response to each type of shame was multi-faceted.  It really was a tangled mess.  Sharing what you all wrote... was like pouring olive oil on the sphaghetti which helped loosen the strands from each other... and begin to see the individual parts.

Then we talked about how to deal with these parts and it is very much like dealing with anxiety and fear.  Those CBT questions work just as well on shame.  Is it real? Is it mine? Is it from the past?  Are those dynamics in play now?  Is it ongoing?  etc, etc, etc.  I have to break it down to one strand at a time... and then look at the parts of the strand.  Essentially, I was reminded that when I feel overwhelmed... it is because I'm looking at too much, trying to "fix" too much at once.

Way more than what you were asking for but this is a specific example of how I used the Panic Center postings in my personal treatment.  I think it would have taken months of untangling without the input you all gave me.  Invaluable!!
When I first started with my therapist she wanted me to write down everything I did and felt between sessions. At first it was a lot of pages. It really helped and I didn't know this was a form of journaling at the time.

Davit.
I brought some to my doc, and we'd talk about my interpretation.  It gave me insight into how I saw some things negatively and when they could have been seen neutrally.

I wonder if others had other experiences, since I generally try to follow the recommendations at the home page...be supportive, listen and avoid lecturing. 

I'm sure there are a lot of others who use the site with their docs/etc. in some way, and I'd like some other views, since we all go through the same troubles, and we spend a great deal of money, time and other resources getting help at the expense of our families, friends, careers....
12 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's a good question Hugs.
What do you do with the posts you print out?  

Vincenza, Health Educator
I wonder if anybody brings their posts into their individual sessions with health practioners?  What's worked for you, and how do you use the information?

I usually just describe what I post generally, and have printed some stuff.  Also, I used to track my time, but do less tracking so I can balance the time I spend watching tv(vastly reduced to almost none), etc. to balance my life.

Reading this thread: