Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

I am a newbie to the program/ question?

9 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Years ago after my recovery my Therapist said to me that I have too much experience and that if I tried to help anyone it would hurt. It would hurt because I can feel their pain. But that is the extent of my recovery that I can feel their pain and have it not trigger a panic attack in me. And if it does it is so mild it doesn't matter. 
We are not born with panic attacks, only the potential under the right conditions so we call it recovery. There is nothing to cure since it is not a disease. It isn't inherited but acquired through life experiences. Still cured is a good word for what happens to change this disorder. I will keep you on the path to recovery but you will do the work. There is a lot of information in forums. Some you might not understand and some you will be surprised at. I coined a phrase that people who win say is true, "this is the hardest simple thing you will ever do" But do it and you will never be sorry. That is the best I can do because I don't know your determination.

People here are in various stages of recovery, they can help you too. So welcome to a new you and a better life.

Davit
9 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit

Thank you for sharing your experience, you certainly seem to know what you are talking about, and in a no nonsense way.  I will certainly be doing the CBT, I've  already started a journal and it has already been cathartic, I  am looking forward to seeing what I  write in the coming weeks and months.  Already after 1 day of joining I have hopes and can see such a positive impact your words have had on other members.  I certainly hope you don't  mind if I call on your advice.  After 20 odd years of trying many many things I  have a feeling of finding a forum that already makes me feel less apprehensive and gives me a feeling of positivity - that word positivity is a foreign word to me but I certainly like the sound of it, especially in my mind.  Today I  am grateful for finding the Panic Center, thank you Davit.
Hi aesse1

I'm the old guy on the program. I don't need to be here but am because I know CBT works. There is nothing you can tell me about panic disorders that I don't know or haven't experienced. My life was hell culminating in a fear of sleeping because I had a major panic attack every night. It lasted a year. Relapsed put me in the psych ward when I thought there was nothing I could do about them. But there was and it worked. 
As you might guess believing I could get better was the hardest part. Now that I am it is hard to believe it was so hard to do. There are two parts to CBT. Behavioural and cognitive. Behavioural is all the things you wild do to relieve the panic. Cognitive is all you will do to change it. After you learn relaxation and coping skills then and only then can you learn cognitive skills that will change your thought patterns so the triggers no longer affect you. Anything you want to know just ask. I'm here to help you along as you do CBT. When it seems a waste of time remember that is just your mind talking. And it is wrong. I am right. Remember that, I won and so can you and I will never stop telling you that till you too can say I won. I'm not the only one who has won, I'm just the most obvious. I am in contact with winners that are sill free after five years. Free and happy too.
Hi JayDee

I regularly use the breathing technique and do find it helpful in most situations, however when my panic becomes uncontrollable I forget about everything and fight it, I have completed session 1, but i need to find a way to "go with the flow" so to speak, but my fighting instinct kicks in and I  find myself in the middle of a full blown panic attack.  I need CBT badly I just hope I'm mentally strong enough to redirect my thoughts and keep them positive.  Thanks for your advice it is really appreciated, especially  when I feel I  am at my wits end its nice to know I can be heard and cared about.  Many thanks˜º
9 years ago 0 219 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi aesse1,

Have you done Session 1 yet? Can you self talk to yourself while having a panic attack without all the negative thoughts coming into your mind? If you can get yourself to do this, you can tell yourself this is just a panic attack, then start to belly breathe/box breathe/relaxation breathe. This is the type of breathing where you pull breath into your lower belly, then slowly release it, usually to a count a four on the in breath and the out breath. Then tell yourself you are safe. Tell yourself you can handle some anxiety. Ride with the panic attack, not against it. I hope I explained it well enough if not let me know.

Other members on here will give you more good advice too. Do what is suggested until you find what works for you.
Hi, I'm  new too, and have just changed meds from pristiq to zoloft.  I'm  having a really hard time with my panic disorder.  Please if anyone has any ideas please give them to me.  I'm  in a really bad place at the moment, although I know it will pass.  Believe it or not I  have suffered from panic disorder for over 20 years, and have tried almost everything  I  can think of.  I think my biggest problem is I fight them all the time and I just don't know how to break the cycle.  Help me please.
9 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Juls7,

It is very common for anxiety to resurface. It is actually quite normal. But each time it resurfaces and each time you take back control you learn something. What do you think triggered the anxiety to return? Usually life changes or stressful events can trigger anxiety to return.

Taking a refresher course is a great idea. It's clear you already have a ton of knowledge and insight - this will help your recovery. I am curious what advice you would give someone else in your same situation?

I am unable to give you advice on supplements but be sure you thoroughly research all your options. Use reputable websites (wedmd.com is a great place to start) and consult a pharmacist or doctor if you are concerned at all about drug interactions.

Ashley, Health Educator
Welcome Juls7

Funny thing about panic attacks they can warp memory so you think you know where they are coming from but are wrong. Take me, I spent a lot of time in tight places welding mostly but insulating and wiring houses. In attics and crawl spaces fixing frozen pipes. I'm not claustrophobic but my dreams are. I spent twelve years falling trees in the mountains. I'm agoraphobic but the open spaces don't bother me. So what am I? I'm agoraphobic. Agoraphobia manifests itself as a fear of the outdoors usually as a fear to leave the house. But what it really is is a fear of not having control. Every situation where you get panic is because you do not have control. With me I couldn't go in stores because I didn't have control of the situation. Some times I couldn't even drive to the store. Notice these words are past tense. I'm fine, more than fine. I can do anything my wore out body will let me. I don't get anxious, I just get pain.

Anxiety disorders are a condition not a disease. No pill can cure them. Changing thought patterns can. 

Good that you have coping skills but that is not CBT, it is only half. The behavioural half. Changing thought patterns is the Cognitive half. They work best together. 

Two words that seem to mean the same thing. Have to and want to. One is negative, and one is positive. One takes control from you, one gives it to you. This simple fact plus a little exposure and some determination cures agoraphobia.

One day I had to go to the store, No choice I was out of things. With difficulty I drove to the store but could not get out of the car. At this point on the brink of tears I said out loud, "I want to do this". What is the worst that can happen, I leave the store, at this rate I'm not going in anyway. I just kept my breathing regular and kept thinking I want to do this. I can do this because I want to. Not because I have to, hell no, I can leave any time. So I grabbed the most important things. Tea and toilet paper. By the time I got to the check out I was thinking I want to get the other things. So I did. Not without some trouble but I wanted too so I could. I was in control because it was my decision, no one was forcing me too, I didn't have to. I could leave any time. I'll admit the first time I tried this I waited till there was no line up. I used some distractions but still the only reason I did it was because I wanted to. I took back control of the situation. 
This came out of me, out of frustration not the internet or a book. Just a determination to take back control of my life. And I have. I don't need to tell myself I want to any more, I know I do. Now I just do it. I talk to people in line ups and in the isles. If I meet a friend we go for hot chocolate. Never a problem. The last three operations and check ups were a piece of cake. The dentist was just a nuisance. I'm not taking any Benzo's or SSRIs. Only supplement I take is calcium with magnesium and D3. Only herbal I use is Lemon balm tea. I'm 99% recovered. Not bad for a guy who had a panic attack every night and was dependent on Ativan for four years. Visualization is my best coping skill still. 
There is more to curing panic attacks but these two were the turn around for me.

My Dad died of Alzheimer's disease. He only made it five years. I took care of him.

Gaba is produced in your body. Supplements never did me any good, Calcium does because it is necessary for proper synapse function. If you really want to know what causes panic attacks read up on memory. It is complicated and technical but won't tell you how to cure them. But it will be obvious that CBT does. All the pills and supplements are just bandaids.
9 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  Hi! I am new to the program, and excited to tackle my agoraphobia once and for all.
Mine started when I was young, as I dealt with my parent who had Altzheimers when no one knew what it was back in the early 80's.  I can see clearly how my agoraphobia manifested.  Watching and loving a person and the anticpation of their death for 10 years, played a huge role.  I have worked through a lot of this trauma.  In a funny way, the agoraphobia led me to being a very good healer for others, and I counsel people all over the world.  Chuckling as I am writing this, if I could use my own wisdom for myself more often, and during a panic attack would be GREAT!!!
My question, my agoraphobia seems to come and go.  My feeling, it goes dormant for years and comes out again, making sure I still have the coping skills to take it on again, like a test of some kind.  It's very upsetting, because if feels like I have to dig out the old information all over again.  So, I have concluded, of course, not for sure if this is at all true, that I need a refresher course in the old thinking patterns.  Is this common?  the rising up again?  I know I am sensitive, and actually that sensitivity has helped others find solutions, so I don't take it in as a disease, more a dis-ease.  It has brought me to tremendous realizations!  
My next question is, I would like to take some supplements, which I do regularly, and I would like to know if Gaba and L Tyrosine might be good, with a b complex, and a good multi vitamin.  I noticed that when I first started with the panic attacks, that supplementation really helped clear them up, but its been so long, that new supplements might work better.  Any thought?

Reading this thread: