Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Has anyone been diagnosed with having Hypochondria?

12 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
it feels like there's hope. after taking a number of different anti depressants and at the end seems like none of them were working. i mean dont get me wrong, i still have these thoughts but like i said, they are not as intense. i think what keeps me moving is that i have seen over all more better day's then bad. i really do notice something huge, that makes a big difference in the way you feel, is to get out and go do something. im saying this to whoever reads this. the best thing i have found to do,(even if everything inside you says no) is to just go and do something. what is helpfull is to go somewhere, where you know and used to be comfortable around. if your anything like me, you wont even want to do that at times. but go and stay there for a while. for example i went to my friends auto shop the other morning and for half the day that i was there, it was a bit of a struggle. after that i started to feel better. the later it got the better i felt. by the time i got back home i felt like i havent felt in a long time. had more spring in my step , wanted to drive a little faster, and turn the music up a little louder. so what im saying and what worked for me is to try that first and then maybe after doing that a few times, try to go somewhere for a while that you know you would be a little uncomfortable.

i have found that anyway you look at it, sitting around the house and thinking about everything that is wrong with you, is only going to make it worse. the hardest part is to,(like they say) pull your self up by your boot straps and go. its hard at first and it may not work the first time you do it, or it might. regardless it does work. another thing i have found helpful is to try to make plans while your out, to do something for the next day or when ever. that way when you go to sleep that night you will have something to look forward to, and the same when you wake up the next morning. these things are helpful for me and i hope that it will be for who ever reads this. 
Thanks. m33 or mike. Mike's actually my name. lol.

12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exactly m33!

It sounds like you are off to a great start already! How does it feel to take control of your fears after all these years?

Ashley, Health Educator
yes, i started the program about 5 days ago. ive been writing in the anxious thoughts forms and the panic forms, then entering them into my diary each night. i actually think that, just knowing what's going on with me now, actually helps. i have been places outside of my comfort zone and it didnt really bother me to much, but i was actually having a good day on those days. i notice that when i start having those fearful thoughts, i just say to myself, (look, you know what it is. the fear is true, but the thought are not.) i mean, i have been thinking this same thing off and on for 12 years now. if there was anything wrong with me i would have knew it by now or been dead already. so when the anxious thoughts come i just remember that its all in my head, remain calm and let it do its thing. i have been just facing the thoughts that cause my fear and telling them that there not real, because there not. i dont get the results im looking for all the time, but allot more of the time and its not so intense. i gues what im trying to say for my self and anyone, is that its just anxiety. its NOT going to hurt you. anxiety and panic attacks never killed anyone.
12 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi M33,

Have you started to work on the program yet? This will help you with your anxious thoughts. For the exposure session you would do exposure to the thought and not to the action or event.  Check out the Ask the Expert section for more information. One month Dr. Farvolden talks about how to do exposure work for thoughts.

Hope this helps!  You will take control of this, I have no doubt.

Ashley, Health Educator
Hi everyone. i just wanted to know if anyone hear has been diagnosed with having Hypochondria. that's what i have, and allot of times it can be very scary. it seems to be getting better now that i know what my issue is, but i just found out a few days ago. for the last twelve years and several doctors, they all just said that i had major depression and anxiety disorder. so if anyone could share their story's about how you felt or feel, and the progress you have made, that would be very nice. i suppose i want to know so i dont feel like im the only one that has this issue. Thank You.
M33

Reading this thread: