Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,500 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Will I drive again?

12 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Davit!

I do feel that support. I was happy to find this site! I feel in my heart that I will be back to my self again. I am going to take this seriously and week by week. I can't wait to put things into action. Everyday I picture my self driving all over town and walking freely around the track. This is my life and I want it back!
12 years ago 0 6252 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Zen86

This is going to go against the grain of everything you have read. How bad do you want to drive again?  Shop again? Take the kids to the park and be worry free? 

You can do it with one little change. A change in thought. You use this thought slowly using it against something that doesn't bother you too much and work up to what really bothers you. If done right you will be amazed at the result.

So her goes. It is not the driving or the store or the great outdoors you fear. They are only the situations that trigger the thought that you fear. They only bring on the panic. What causes it is a thought. This is called a panic triangle and has three points. Change anyone and the other two fade.                                                       

THOUGHT

SITUATION                         PANIC

Do you see this. You go to the store (situation) and the thought (subconscious some times) that you don't want to be there brings on the anxiety, so you panic.

Change the thought and the other two fade. HOW?  Simple tell yourself that "it is my decision to do this" "I am in control" See It is the lack of control that is the stimulus. Take the control back.

Look at the anger you had at the check out. That is not fear, that is lack of control of the situation. "it is my decision to be in this line up" gives you back the control. You are there because you want to be not because you have to be. NOT because you have to be.

You have the anger, use it. Use it against yourself. This works far better than any pill believe me, I used to need Ativan to shop. Now I just do it because I want to. "it is my decision"

Davit.     Hope the triangle prints as I typed it.
12 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I look out the window and I get so sad watching other people ride by laughing and enjoying themselves. I have four kids asking me to go to the park everyday. I tell them yes, knowing well I afraid to drive to my mail box. I went in Bilo the other day with my brother, and as soon as I walked in the door I was ready to go. Every step I took seemed like the symptoms got worse. I made it to get most of what I came for, but when I got to the line I thought I was gonna go crazy. A women was in front of me writing a check. I could of taken her head off! But I didn't think the police would understand. I wanted to leave my buggy and all the food and just leave. I know I am not depressed. This fear is holding me back. When I think about it I get mad. But when it happens I'm a little chick.

Reading this thread: