Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Panic attacks while driving....

14 years ago 0 192 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too have had some heart-pounding, can't catch my breath, sore tight chest while driving.  I don't anymore, thank goodness.  What I used to do is sing at the top of my voice (nobody around to hear with the windows up) this would make me breath, take breaths to keep singing.  Also, used positive self-affirmations: I'm a good driver, I know where I am going, when I get home I can have a nice hot bath and be able to relax as much as I want (think about whatever reward you want to give to yourself for completing the drive). Hope this helps...
14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Texaschef,

You were so brave for fighting through it.  Next time please pull over and wait until the panic attack passes.  I know it is hard to think clearly when you are having a panic attack but your safety is of utmost importance.  

But you got through it good for you!  After all that stress it is understandable that a night panic attack would occur.  If that happens again try relaxing yourself before bed.  Take a warm bath, meditate and practice relaxation techniques.  Do you think anything happened during the day that may have triggered your panic attack? Have you been feeling extra stressed lately?

Take your time reading through the program.  This program has helped many people and it will help you too.  Also post often in the forums. We are all in this together.  

I look forward to reading more from you!

Members, please share your experiences and advice with panic attacks while driving.

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

3 hours ago I had a horrifying panic attack while driving home from work.  I didn't know what to do so I kept on going but I could barely breathe or concentrate.  I prayed I wouldn't pass out and hurt someone on the road.  It was HORRIBLE.  I made it home finally, went to sleep and then woke up an hour later with my heart pounding and I felt sick to my stomach.  That is when I got up and found this site.

Hang in there it may seem really scary but you will get better. I had my first panic attack while driving so imagine how scary that was?! I am a very determined person. I used to be able to drive anywhere alone, I know its just negative, fearful thoughts that i will NOT allow to control me. At fist i was terrified of driving after the attack, I started just by driving around the block. Then i realized that i was much less anxious when someone else was in the car with me so i kept driving with someone else in the car for a couple of weeks until i felt confident enough to drive alone. I am still working on driving long distances. For now i have been going to stores very close to home but my next goal is to go a little farther and farther.... until i feel not one bit of anxiety. It does help to concentrate on something else while driving. It might seem hard but it is possible! 
14 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I too have panic attacks while driving. I have frozen in the middle of an intersection a few times. This makes me even more scared to drive. However, I remember the days when I did drive without any anxiety at all. This motivates me to get better because I KNOW I CAN DO IT.
What I do right now is drive on days when I'm not filled with anxiety, but almost always with someone in the car (just in case). I've had to pull over a few times to gather my thoughts, but I did it. When things get really bad, I'll switch drivers. The key is that I continue trying.
Now, I'm able to drive to the convenient store about 1/4 of a mile away from my house by myself. I've even driven myself to work on a snowy day. What I do is focus on something else. It may be work, food, or just getting out of the house. When you really want to get out of the house and are too embarrassed to ask someone to bring you food, you'll find the courage to do it.
I've been shakey and nervous, that's when I know I have to slow down or pull over. I try not to think about the other drivers. Driving is my responsiblility not theirs, they can go another route if they want.
"Take ownership of this", is what I say. I want to be in control and not allow my fears to be in control. So, I will do what it takes to overcome this. Does this make sense? It does to me and this is what has helped me so far. I'm certainly not out of the woods, but I'm butchering those trees one by one! Be as strong as you can be.
14 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi. So sorry to hear you're having a tough time of it at the moment. I too occasionally would feel panic whilst driving, although thankfully it never developed into a full blown attack. If I felt the panic come on, and just had to get wherever I was trying to get to I'd use the number plates of the vehicle in front of me to think up words in the same order as they were on the number plate !! Its quite hard usually !! But it worked for me, like doing a puzzle without paper and pen, and made my mind really concentrate on something else. Hope this helps. Good luck
14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi strader327,

For dealing with panic attacks while driving I would suggest taking the following baby steps...

1) Visualize yourself sitting in the car, starting it, driving it, coming home safely.
2) Actually sit in the car, start it, drive it out of the driveway only and increase the distances progressively.

These small exercises are know as "exposure therapy" you can read more about this type of therapy by going through the program.

Samantha, Health Educator
Hello everyone, recently I've been having panic attacks while driving. They come on suddenly and they last from five to ten minutes. The symptoms I get are a pounding fast heart beat, sweating, and shaking. I'm curious as to how you all handle panic attacks when they occur while you are driving. Thanks for your time and responses.

Reading this thread: