Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Panic worsened by fears of cardiac arrest (21 y/o male)

14 years ago 0 15 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sol, Just remember there are many millions of people undergoing the same thing and i can relate to you totally having the same problems. It is beatable and together we can help each other do it.

From what i have seen so far this site is a fabulous resource and i wish i had access to it many years ago.

Just  a few hours ago i felt i couldn`t breathe and had the "heart attack" symptoms we all know and hate so well. Just coming here to read helped the symptoms go away.  Keep reading the site Sol - it really will help , i promise!
14 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sol,

Welcome to the boards and thank you for sharing your experience with other members here. Take some time to review the resources and information available here. The sessions will also be helpful as they will give you a larger understanding of your own anxiety. Specifically, try reviewing session 3 about challenging your negativity and fears. This may be particularly helpful when you start to consider your fear of heart attacks.

As you mentioned in your post, moving to a new city can be overwhelming. Take some time to yourself to review what you would like to accomplish with this move. Is there a new hobby or sport you have wanted to try? Is there somewhere in the area you could do this? Creating small and achievable goals can also be one of the best ways to get the most out of this move.

Please continue to post and let us know how you are doing. We are here for you when you need us.

Sarah, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi guys, I'm completely new to this forum and I've never been on here before.

Short introduction: I am a 21 year old male living in Canada, completely healthy aside from this anxiety.

In the past I've seen a therapist and been prescribed such medications as Ativan as a sort of safety net if I felt I was about to have a panic attack, and it seems that for the past year or so I've managed it all very well. I've been able to talk myself out of almost all panic attacks I would have, and only every now and again I would have them full-blown.

Recently, I made a clearly poor choice when I decided to eat 1/4 of a weed brownie for the 1st time in my life. What resulted was I had a panic attack more severe than ever before which made me bring myself to the ER of a hospital where I calmed down in the presence of the doctors.I was having severe chest pain and my whole left arm had pins and needles.

Since this time, if I start to feel anxious, I blow out into huge panic attacks that consume my entire life and make me unable to interact with the people around me for moments in time while I'm coping. What's new is that when I had that weed-induced panic attack and all the chest pain, I find now that a new feature of my worries or panic is that I will have a heart attack.

My heart races so fast that I start to feel it seize almost and I lost my ability to breathe clearly.

I think to myself "I'm only 21," how ridiculous would it be if I had a heart attack? But the fear feels more real than ever now. I'm not really sure how to approach dealing with this right now.

I should have prefaced this post with the fact that I've just moved out on my own for the first time in a new city on the opposite side of the country from most of my friends and family. I'm trying to set up my new life and feeling very overwhelmed by all of this.

Reading this thread: