Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Do i have SAD?

15 years ago 0 77 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I also used to use a sunbed once or twice a week, just for a couple of minutes, and that helped too. The main thing is to try and get out in the daylight if you can for at least 30 minutes a day, a walk in your lunchtime, walk to the shops, work, anything that helps your body pick up on its seratonin levels.

Good luck

Sue
15 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a friend who suffers from SAD and he was advised to use a tanning bed a couple times a week and it seems to help him tremendously.  Not sure if this is something you would want to do or not but it is worth a try.  I am ready for some warm sunshine and spring weather also!!!
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thankyou for the information and thanks for looking. im from the uk
15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great idea Sue! Thanks for sharing that info with us
Members, do you have any other ideas?

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
I'm sorry but I can't remember the site. I know I just put SAD into Google and found it. From memory they also has a small for sale board, with light boxes that people were looking to sell., obviously cheaper than anew one would cost !! Will have a play on Google and see if I can find it, It was a uk site.

Sue
15 years ago 0 52 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

thanks sue, think ill have to invest in one of these,when i can get some money together.what is the site called?i might try my doctor but they dnt seem to be much help.

thamks

A really brilliant tool for SAD is a light box. I have had mine now for 3 years, turn it on for an hour or so in the morning, and it should help. There is a SAD site that gives you all the information you need relating to this condition that I found absolutely brilliant, including why light therapy works, how, where to buy a light box, best ones to use and how to use them. For a little over £100 it has made me so much more confident about facing our gloomy, wet English winters !! And the funny thing is, I keep mine in work, and its amazing just how many people gravitate towards it !! I think SAD affects an awful lot, to varying degrees, very few people actually enjoy winter, cold and dark mornings and evenings, its like living like moles, and we're not moles !!!
The other thing that helps, is to just go out of the office environment at lunchtime, whatever the weather, for twenty minutes or so. The light box works on the same principals as what that exposure to whatever bit of daylight there is, and the website again tells you why this is.
My gp wouldn't diagnose the condition until it was found that I had these awful symptoms for 2 winters, but if you thnk you may suffer from it, treat yourself to a lightbox !! You can also prepare for it too, by using it from about October. It changed my life !!
Hope this helps
Sue
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Karla,   SAD or seasonal affective disorder is usually associated with shorter days and periods of sunlight such as in northern countries.   Symptoms include:
  • change in appetite, in particular a craving for sweet or starchy foods
  • weight gain
  • decreased energy
  • fatigue
  • tendency to oversleep
  • difficulty concentrating
  • irritability
  • avoidance of social situations
  • feelings of anxiety and despair
It is best for you to consult with a health professional to ensure there are no other underlying or associated disorders that may mimic the same symptoms.   Hope that helps.     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

hey all,

just wonderng if anyone can give me the syptoms of SAD, im not sure if i have this or just depression. i feel very tired all the time, i start worring majorly at night time, get really down as soon as it becomes dark in the evening, my depression has got worse since the nights have got shorter, and worrying about dyind is constinently on my mind, im struggling to eat to. 

any suggestions?

Reading this thread: