Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Medication...

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have had insomnia issues on and off for a very long time. I once actually went through three days without sleep (not willfully!). On the afternoon of the third day my eyes rolled up into my head and I passed out. My head hit my desk so hard everyone turned around! (I was in high school in class at the time). I was sent home. I domn't even remember how I got home...I was so embarassed! High school is a tough place for a spazz like me lol.

Anyway, all this to say I have had sleeping issues for a long time. And I do try to do the right stuff to help (regular sleep hours, no caffeine, exercise, etc...). With my student life time though I don't always have the luxury. Sometimes I have to study till 4 am every night for a week and got to my exams the next day. I have deadline s and however well I try to plan sometimes I need to just push and work crazy hours for a bit. That screws up my sleeping patterns. Now my sleep cycle is all out of whack. Once I am sleeping, I sleep well enough. I don't wake up to often I think. Heck sometimes I can't wake up lol! Thing is falling asleep is a nightmare. I go to bed and don't fall alseep and I have to get up at 7 am to go to class. Then I am tired all day and feel miserable but my day still needs doing. At this point I am burned out and tired and sad and in need of rest. I need to get my sleep pattern back on track. I need to sleep.

Another thing that does not help is when I am too stressed I get weird things when I go to fall asleep. Just as I fall asleep I suddenly jerk awake inhaling crazily as if I had stopped breathing or was choking or something. Sometimes it does it five times beofre I manage to fall asleep and stay asleep. Gnarly!

Of course my doctor is going to check out tons of things as to why I am tired and as to why I am jerking awake, but in the meantime she gave me the sleeping pills so I can start having normal sleep hours and so I can rest and recuperate.

And still after all I have said, I am not sure I want to take the pills lol! I keep telling myself it is just for a few months. And it will do me good.

Argh, wish I was less tired, making decisions when I am tired is harder! I am just so unsure about this!

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I definitely agree, Faith!

Learned a long time ago, everyone's looks up to find God...when in fact he's in you.  No matter where you go, you always take your faith with you...that's a comforting thing to me.
15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I wish we could always remember that EVERYWHERE is a place we're protected by God!!!!

I hope you get to go to your mom's baptism, that is sooo cool! No one else in my family (except my husband, I mean!) is a Christian.

Glad to see there are so many of us on here :)

Born and bred!  I haven't been to Church in years, but my beliefs have always been strong...thank God for making me stubborn, eh?  It'd be cool if you went to watch your mom be baptised, consider it an exposure therapy kinda deal.  You only have to stay as long as the baptism, you're there with loved ones, and at a place where you're protected by a higher power!
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You a Christian Joe ? I started going to Church again late last year . Till the nasty attacks came  . My dad came to see me today and brought me a DVD . It was really interesting , enjoyed it alot . He also asked if i would go out with them on Sunday because my Mum is being Baptised .
So the bible is what gets read the most...that's a great thing!  Well, in my christian opinion anyways...

ROFL i didnt mean to say that the Bible is boring so it gets me too sleep , cos thats how it read back to me ! I meant i just like reading it every so often .

glad to return the favour Joe , you make me laugh every day ! So thank-you .

Faith citalapram was the one i had the reaction to ewwwwwwww . Lucky you discovered that it wasnt helping you then , if you dont need them then thats great news .

Like i said i have been on and off for years now with various types , and i certainly know when i do need them ! They are actually starting to work on me . I hear what you are saying about being opposed to them , hey thats your veiw and i respect that but they have become a Godsend for me in times of crisis . I was abused as a child and every now and again its hits me , boof from nowhere . A TV programme will set it off . Most the time i can handle it , but times i dwell then the black cloud hits me so i need the meds . I know its not for ever so no problem .

Lol for the sleeping routine , i am soooo guilty of alot of the things you mentioned . I have a TV in my room , sometimes take the laptop up but only when i know sleep isnt coming anytime soon . Its not that i havnt even excersised enough in the daytime , hardly stop . Cant eat late anymore because of the gallstones . I do find listening to my friends DVD gets me to sleep as i have seen it sooo many times i know whats happening on the telly so dont need to actually see it . I do read to get me sleepy as well . When im inbetween books the bible comes out !
15 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember being really scared to start Celexa (citalopram) about 4 years ago because I have a vomiting phobia and of course just about every medication in existence lists nausea and vomiting as possible side effects. I finally just made sure I would be in a safe place - I popped the first pill just before my friends were coming to pick me up and I was going to stay at their house in case anything weird happened (I was living alone). As it turned out it just gave me a really bad headache and completely knocked me out, but still I had to make myself JUST DO IT!

That said, I came off it a year ago and boy that was a good idea. It did very little good. I am no longer a fan of medication for psychological problems, and since then I have become morally opposed to it too, in my own case (can't decide that for anyone else but me!). As for the sleeping pills, though, I might try that if I was desperate, as long as I made a firm decision not to use them every night or even every time I was exhausted - I'd be too afraid of getting addicted. Sleep is very important. Have you tried everything else - not eating too soon before bed, doing nothing but sleep in bed (I'm guilty of reading, computering, etc. there and they say that makes it harder to remember that bed is for sleep!), exercise, etc.?

Good luck!! :)

Rofl, Doc and Momma Dee, you both have me cracking up over here! 

Reading this thread: