Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Medication...

15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Man, talked with my counselor today...never really thought about all that goes into disrupting sleep.  Everything from smoking, eating, working out too close to bedtime and my big problem which relates to anxiety...thinking too much about not being able to sleep.  I got my second journey now piled on top of the anxiety...but I'm much more confident this time around.

Good luck to everyone with smoking, I'm going to try to quitting soon as well.  Looking forward to the money I'll save, and since I've quit numerous times before...more then the amount of toes and fingers I have...I have a better idea on what I'm up against.

Odd as it sounds, lollipops help a lot with my quitting process.  Sunflower seeds, as everyone has suggested to me, do nothing for me.  Maybe it's a psychological thing...and after the initial quitting process, swimming...something I love doing...makes me lose the craving for the initial first couple of days.  It's the long run, after 2 or so weeks, that I begin drawbacks...that's when I start thinking "it's time for a cigarette" out of pure habit.  Stupid habits...
15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Dark Avenger

I can easily stop smoking for short periods of time and get over the physical addiction but as you say I guess I never address the psychological dependency so I tend to fall back into bad habits months or even years later.

I understand exactly what you are saying about the craving to feel normal. People often say that smoking eases stress but I believe that it creates far greater stress. One simply feels better temporarily once you feed the addiction. But as you say the monster immediately grows again and then your baseline anxiety is higher than as a non-smoker. I study cancer biology so I should really know better.... I guess one simply assumes that the nasty stuff will only happen to somebody else. Smoking most certainly dragged up my irrational health fears again so quiting feels really good. I know what you mean about envying smokers. I will loose contact with many people when I quit. People I usually have a nice chat with over a cigarette. There is just no point in joining them if I don't smoke. One of them happens to be my boss...

I basically follow all those tactics for sleep and I don't have nearly as much difficulty sleeping as what I used to have. However, I really wish I could develop a better sleeping pattern. Sleeping late affects my productivity and going to bed late makes me exhausted when I have to be up early. My current attitude is that it is better for me to go to bed late and sleep than try and sleep early and then be unable to sleep. Also, those late hours are so peaceful and anxiety free that I can truly relax. Possibly my only real down time throughout the whole day and I guess I am, on some level, reluctant to relinquish those moments.  

Anyway. Hope you manage to abolish those "death sticks".

15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gene,

Very many congratulations on stubbing out that last cigarette.  I wish you every success, and I'd like to add some encouragement:

Remember that the reason smokers smoke is to feel how non-smokers feel.  They smoke to get rid of that insecure feeling (which feels like hunger) so that they can feel 'normal' again.  If you find this hard to believe: what is the first thing a smoker does when they have finished a meal?  They light up a cigarette.  They have quenched their appetite.  They are relaxed and contented, and yet there is that little monster telling them that they need to quench the nicotine craving.  Only then can they feel relatively normal.

And even at that, as soon as they stub that cigarette out, the little monster is already growing again - waiting for his next drug fix.

I've heard that it takes up to 2 weeks for all the phsyical dependencies and cravings to subside.  The psychological ones still exist after that if you don't change your perception of what smoking is.  

It's the number 1 killer in the world.  It's a drug as addictive as heroin.  It does nothing but damage.

As for sleeping tablets.  I was prescribed a 2 week course of them because it's been found that anything more than 2 weeks can result in dependency.  If you are not taking them every night, then it's OK.  

Physical exercise an hour before bedtime can make you more alert.  The first thing I do when I wake up is do some exercises to wake myself up. 

The typical things a doctor will tell you is:

No smoking 1 hour before bed.
Do nothing in bed apart from sex and sleeping.  No reading, watching TV, writing, etc. 
Physical activity throughout the day is a good way to make you sleep more soundly at night.
Winding down 1 hour before bed can help getting to sleep.  If you have racing thoughts - get up, write them down and then forget about them.

Also, I found that when I stopped smoking a few months ago - the energy it gave me was incredible. 
I'm smoking just now and find it hard to get out of bed in the morning.  But when I quit, I was up without a problem.  I had so much more energy.  My lungs were clearing and it felt good not to run out of breath walking up stairs.  The money I saved was fantastic and I put it all aside to buy myself something as a treat.  I ended up going on holiday to Spain with the money I saved in 6 months.

Unfortunately, I wasn't psychologically replacing those cigarettes.  I still envied smokers when I should have pittied them.

I'm going to stop very soon, too.  

Take care,

DB

I don't mind sleeping tablets. In fact they give me confidence. I never use them before I go to sleep only if after a certain period of not sleeping (like say an hour) will I resort to using them. I am so paranopid about becoming addicted to them that I am very responsible. Just like you I have a very addictive personality. BTW I have quit smoking for over three days now so.

Joe I know exactly what you mean about sleeping zones. Mine is between 12 and 2. After 2 I stress too much that I have to sleep now or else- and before 12 or 12:30 I am just too alert. I have to make up my sleep deficit over the weekends where I go to bed at about 1 or 2 and then sleep till very late. I just can't go to bed earlier. But I think if I went to bed at like 7 or 8, I would probably sleep, however, I would wake up at 10 or 11 and then wouldn't be able to sleep again.

Yesterday the peroxidene (SSRI) gave me killer headaches and made me very dizzy but I feel better today. I am feeling quite hopeful. I have seen from my wife that her antidepressants have made a huge difference. This also helps me because for a while coming home to her was causing me allot of anxiety.  

Thanks for the advice Brenna. I get enough physical activity. That's for sure. In fact I think that over-exercising can make seriously impare your sleep. Diet. Hhum.....

Thanks for the encouragement Dee.

Right there with you on the sleep issue, Gene.  The last week or so I've been sleeping at like 2-4 in the morning, only to wake up at 8 and start the process over.  This really affects my mood, makes me a fun guy to be around the next day...  Funny thing is, the one or two days I have gotten proper sleep, I've felt real good the next day...

Anywho, about getting sleep back on track...meds don't work for me either.  For me, this is due to the fact that I have an addictive personality, so I begin relying on the meds.  One thing I have noticed when I don't take meds, is that I have sleep zones.  By that I mean I can sleep, so long as I go to bed at certain times, for me it's 8pm and 11pm.  If I don't go to bed at these times, I have to wait for the next timezone, which is somewhere around 2-4am.

Not sure if this helps in any way, but maybe you have "sleep zones", too?  Times where it's easier to sleep then others?  It may not always help you sleep, but give you an expectation to what your up against for the night.
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Genejockey,

Being on a regular sleep schedule is really an important factor to consider when controlling PA. There are a few 'natural' factors that can really effect your mood; sleep, physical activity and diet. Make sure that you are on a regular sleep schedule, doing physical activity daily (this will also help you get on a sleep schedule) and eating a balanced and healthy diet. 

Talk to your doctor about the best options for you.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all , oo the sleep thing . Funny how you get used to it . Some days like the anxiety are worse/better than others . Just hate the physcial tiredness you get if you have a really rotten night . You feel totally sick and more anxious than ever .

Well Gene , i take anti D's now , ive said before it took me ages to pluck up the courage because of possible side affects (like i did on the other one) but im glad im on them again . It does help , i dont know how long it takes but suddenly you notice it and whoahhh its a nice feeling . You can smile again without you forcing them ! Also have been sleeping a wee bit better , so thats a plus .
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gene,

I didn't take anti-depressant medication.  It wasn't to do with feeling I didn't need it, or thinking I was better than some pills - it was purely because I was scared of the side-effects.  I was in such a bad place that I knew if I took medication, I would worry about the side-effects and be looking out for them.  

If my panic attacks were to return now, I would probably take them. 

I know what you mean about the sleeping.  I'm on medication just now for an ear infection, and it has adrenalin in it.  So when I try and sleep, my mind is still buzzing and won't stop.  

I used to have insomnia, for months.  I was given a course of very powerful sleeping tablets for 2 weeks and that set me back in to a routine.  Writing helped me then, too.  But I think the insomnia then was secondary to depression.

Sleep has been a bit of a problem for me recently. I had one night where I couldn't sleep and then it triggered this sort of insomniac phase. I go to bed way too late but I can't help myself.

I decided to see my Doctor again and give the antidepressants a shot. I have been avoiding taking them but I decided that now it is enough. I am tired of anxiety. I live a full life with no place in it for anxiety. Recently my mood had taken a large downward swing and I can't explain why. The last time I had a PA the next day I just felt utterly depressed. Not really that anxious. I guess I just feel disappointed that I can still succumb to the panic.

Most educational pamphlets and information sources recommend some form of psychotherapy as well as medication, so I figure - what makes me different that I don't need medication? 

I used to get that feeling all the time when I was younger...then one day it just went away and never came back.  Aha, funny...the solution I used for that is the same one I used to help my anxiety.  Accept it and let it be.  You get your control back a lot quicker.

Reading this thread: