Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,657 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE

Is it possible to fully recover from Panic Disorder?

15 years ago 0 187 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice. The whole letting go thing just isn't so easy for the control freaks amongst us! But that we can work on as well!
15 years ago 0 466 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
From what I've experienced between the two worlds, anxiety and care free, getting over anxiety is a lot like quitting smoking (or whatever your habit may be).  There will always be that side that tries to pull you back. 

Through the 5 years I've had anxiety, I think the biggest thing I've learned is that in order to overcome you have to let go.  Give in to the possibility that it may come back, but let myself forget and enjoy the things that have credence on whatever path I am on.  If ever it should come back, I'll know how to cope.  Like riding a bike, a little practice goes a long way for your memory.

Damn, life can be so complicatedly easy.

Thanks Diva for your wisdom. When textbooks use terms like disorder, I think that we become bogged down in the ominous associations. The same applies to being "cured". I have also always suffered with high levels of anxiety and with some OCD tendencies. But for most of my life I can say that I have been happy. At the moment the goal is just to reach that normalisation. Good to hear that for some they return to complete normality. I think that it is important for all of us to realise that it is possible and to never loose hope.

Miki, I feel the same. Just try to think of the days and times when you are as carefree as you were. I am sure that eventually those days begin to become more prolific until you begin to forget about the bad days. As a young teenager I had major depression but time does heal. That phase of my life no longer holds any dread for me.

One day at a time. We have to use stepping stones. First we must do those things we used to do with anxiety, after which the anxiety will begin to dissipate.   

15 years ago 0 477 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I feel like I've become totally a different person since my panic attacks. I've been thinking this lately and I remember the time I was soooo care free and worry free. I've traveled by myself, went bar hopping, went to concerts, drove many miles alone, smoke, drank, and I didn't care and that was really really fun. I miss it so much and I get so amazed at how this small thing stops me from doing the smallest thing I would have never imagined that I wouldn't do. This gets me mad... but I realize that being mad wont really change much and I am just going to be hopeful for the day that I will be able to do the things I used to do even with anxiety... and be hopeful that it will mean so much more than when I was anxiety free.
15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, I have known people who have had bouts of panic attacks and then with treatment it just completely went away and hasn't come back for over a decade.

Me I started having anxiety issues at a very young age. I was diagnosed in my early teens but had had symptoms for years even as a child. In my case treatment did not make this go away for good. But it did teach me that cured is a relative term. When my anxiety does not stop me from living my life I am cured. When it does not hinder my happiness I am cured. I do not need it to be gone! I just need to realize it only has power to ruin my life if I give it power. The anxiety, the Panic Attacks only have power over me if I let them!

Some times, I do better then others. Sometimes I forget lessons learned and relapse. But overall I feel like I can live at peace with myself and the world that surrounds me. To me that is recovery.
This question is something that also stresses me out. When I think back to before the panic began I feel so nostalgic. But I guess that there are times when I feel as free as I did then as I made a lot of progress with Joe Whatshisface's program. I think we just have to remind ourselves of the better days and times.
A few weeks ago I went down into a cave with a tour group. When I saw the entrance I felt like I would be enveloped by the cave! But I did the tour anyway and felt great afterwards. Before the panic attacks I once ab-sailed into a dark cave. After the cave tour the whole "fear of being trapped/ claustrophobia" has been lifted from me.

I think the most difficult part to deal with is that, even after a breakthrough, one can still suffer from panic attacks and this can lead to a setback.

Congrats darkblue with facing your fear.   

15 years ago 0 2101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Darkblue,

Thank you for sharing so many positive thoughts with us. You are very wise. :)

-Diva
15 years ago 0 101 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darkblue-
Great!!! to hear of your good day!  I'm sure many more will follow. I just met an incredible obstacle today with no panic and pure joy. It was
something I had on my exposure list (thinking it would be impossible).  I'm grateful like you for each step. It really feels like your at the top
of the mountain doesn't it? I really appreciate all of you here and your story here just makes me smile for you and all of us that we can get
through this and live in the moment with peace!
Birdie

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Darkblue,

Your story is uplifting! Congrats on making it through this trigger!

We are very proud of you!

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today, I went shopping for 2 hours.
I walked through the park.

A few days ago, I was walking through the park with an ex-girlfriend, and a now very good friend. 

I managed it all without a panic attack and minor anxiety. 

I never dreamed that I was capable of this a month ago.  It's progress.

I'm now exposing myself to situations that I would never have dreamed possible a month ago.  Two months it would seem impossible.  5 months ago I felt doomed.

I owe it in part to this website, and it's tremendous support.

This is all in our head.  We can overcome it entirely.  It takes the tools you can learn from this CBT course. It takes understanding.  Lots of understanding. About anxiety, panic, the way your brain reacts, how you react.
Most of all - it takes enormous courage.  And no one but yourself can experience just how much courage it really does take. 

Reading this thread: