Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

I have hard time maintaining eye contact with people and I don't know why?

16 years ago 0 341 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi DazedMommy, Thanks for your post, I found it very helpful to read. You inspired me:)
16 years ago 0 313 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Minnesota I think a lot of what you're experiencing has more to do with self esteem than anything. Already you are on "high alert" from your anxiety, looking for every trigger, reading into things etc. Those are all parts of the disorder but the truth is (99% of the time anyways) that noone is judging you BUT YOU. To combat this you need to have confidence in yourself and to believe in yourself. Look at all the amazing work your doing right now on yourself. That alone should make you hold your head up and be proud. I think too you will find when you do look someone in their eyes you will see a lot of yourself reflected back... In human interaction that's what happens. Once in a while you'll come across a real jerk but most of the time it's someone just like you... Start noting what makes you special as I'm sure there are many things and think of those the next time you have to look someone in the eye..They'll see what you want them too.. Walk tall...even if they are baby steps..eventually they make one giant one :)
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Minnesota, Keep working through the program. Not only will it teach you to challenge these anxious & intrusive thoughts, but exposure therapy will help get you looking at their peepers :) Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
I feel people are judging me, maybe thinking i'm not bright, or i'm ugly or something like that. When I was in high school I was constantly picked on, my hair was odd, and I was a different faith to my peers, so i'd be laughed at a lot. I feel as though people dont take me seriously, when they look at me, maybe i'm judging them straight away as well! I also do this, i'm not sure what its called, but someone says' Oh well he's running for president and i think he's great." even if I dont agree, i'll say yes. I never give my own opinion. I just agree and done have a say...! does that make sense?
16 years ago 0 778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ive never really liked making eye contact , espically with people of authority . You know teachers , docters etc .
I do the same, I feel I want to get the giggles when I make eye contact. I always look once, then away. I feel uncomfortable staring into someones eyes, feel like i'm in a silly romance movie or something, no matter who it is..!!
16 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sarita, Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I finally found someone who has the same issue. Ya.. I don't really know what to do with it. I have been suffering from this for more than 10 years. It has gotten so bad that I had to leave university. I still need to go back to school and finish my degree! I have seen a Psychiatrist for over 3 years and was no help! I found it useless. I have changed to another medical expert and he has recommended this help site as my sympthems are classified as pathological. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and experiences with me. Ali
16 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ali, I have the same problem. I always get "Why are you upset?" "What's the matter?" "Are you mad at me?" or people just don't talk to me because I look unapproachable. I feel like I have to look @ my face in the mirror to make sure I don't look mad. lol As far as the eye contact...I have that problem with certain types of people. Especially people with judging eyes.
Danielle, I constantly have to monitor my facial expression as I feel that I might be projecting a negative image on my face. I want people to like me, who wouldn't? Sometimes I feel that I have no control of my expressions, and feel embarrased, or shy about it. I feel people are misinterpreting my thoughts, and they might think I don't like them!!! Ali
Hi Danielle, I am not sure, I feel that I am judged based on my sexually and the way in which I act as a gay man. I am confortable with my sexualiy but I don't know why I feel anxiouse incase someone comes up and insults me about it. To Answer you question, I constantly think that someone might through an insult at me and I wouldn't be able to handle it. Thanks, Ali

Reading this thread: