Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,573 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

hi

22 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm from Canada, and our health care system is socialized.. not sure if it's the same in the U.K. though although it's possible since Canada is still part of the British Commonwealth. Charlie_uk: you mentioned being in NYC on 9/11. Did you have panic attacks prior to that date? Just curious here. Cerridwyn.
22 years ago 0 173 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Charle_uk: So all that has happened with you is a panic attack, which was diagnosed as such by Physician in the ER. Were you referred to another type of doctor for further evaluation? I am not at all familiar with the inner workings of your healthcare system there..or anywhere exept for in the US. I can get around well in this country..I get all kinds of things paid for by my governement insurances. Do you think you should go further with ysome real treatment? Afterall, we are not doctors..and really cannot advise yu. We can only tell you what we did, and suggest from our own ideas of what works and what doesn't work...for each of us. Post more if you want,Charlie..it is so interesting to hear of others with this "thing". Don't you think it is a "thing"? I saw one last nite with Rourke..White Sands I think...good flick. Rourke is the kind of actor..who I always associated ith Panic Disorders..as in his roles..he always explains his thinking and actionzs..or lets us in on them in some way. I have to do a lot of explaining to myself ahead of what I do..to lessen the blow of some of the things I have to do to live..like before I drive..I run it down in my head..what I may encounter..what I will encounter..and my probable reactions to all. Then I tell my scared self that my strong self is there for the other one..Am I BiPolar? This is something I made up..the self talk. It's like we all have the other side of what we are inside..vis a vis sexuality. In each female there is a male and vice versa. Comprendez ? I am female with a strong male presence..I can do home repairs, use power tools, tune up a car..but when I go out..I am a gorgeous, feminine, built woman..and always have been..I must have been a man in another lifetime. eh? Whee did these skills come from? Red
22 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Charlie I don't really have much of a theory. I am just going by my experience and some information that I learned from CBT. I think the theory is a that people with panic are more sensitive and pay more attention to internal body sensations than other people (for whatever reason). So even the physical sensations of a hangover seem more noxious. For me there is the added problem of the confusion between signs of being hung over and signs of panic. In CBT you basically learn to notice when you are paying too much attention to your internal sensations and to not to start to "panic" everytime you notice something different. Thats about as well as I can say it. There are some pretty good books on CBT out there. Maybe you could get one. I kind of used to sort of like Mickey Rourke. He was pretty good in "Barfly" but in my opinion he hasn't made a good movie or even a less-than-really-bad movie for a long long time.
22 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi ya! Ya maria, I went to the doctor because I thought I was gonna have a heart attack or something!! they gave me chest x-rays and ecg, and came to the conclusion it must be panic, and reading all of the symptoms of it has made even more confident that its the problem.... Later C
22 years ago 0 198 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Charlie, If you can come to terms with your panic attacks without medication, that would be great! Some of the meds are extemely addictive. Do you know anything about Cognitive Behavioral Therapy - ya know, 'thinking it through, positive self talk' and the like? How do you know you are having actual panic attacks, do you see a Doctor? Do you think you have agoraphobia? Bye for now, Maria
22 years ago 0 7 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey hey! To Answer some questions posed in all of your replies..... Firstly, as yet I am on no meds, therefore I can drink without any repercussions (other than the attacks). and Maria, I don't think I've talked about dreams before, you must have the wrong person ;) Red, I've found it is far more socially acceptable to be drunk in the UK than in the US, it's practically part of our culture, I only get drunk (or drink anything for that matter) one night a week, and seem to pay the price the next day, although I do get attacks at other times the ones the day after a few drinkies are tough. I don't drive, partly thru not needing to and partly thru not wanting to have an attack at the wheel.... But, of course I do agree with you, I'm a mug to keep on doing it to myself. Oh well take care all!!! Byeeeeee
MrB: Do you like Mickey Rourke?
MrB: So you feel that panic disorder people have an imbalance..right? I do remember this discussion in the recent past..right here actually. If this is the case, then how do doctors get us back on the "right" track to normalcy? By medications? obviously, then? Please explain your theory in total..I am going to run it around my shrink..on Thursday..at 10am. We, neither of us are awake then..so the answers will call for lots of black coffee..I'd batter take a thermos with me Huh? Please tell me.. MR
22 years ago 0 33 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have said this before I think people with panic feel 10X more shi987249827tty the next day. You have to ask yourself "is it worth it this time?" as I get older I find it is "worth it" less and less. My friends are okay. But they do not have panic disorder.I simply cannot handle feeling that bad the next day.
I have a question.charlie_uk...I do not understand why you drink if it makes you feel "terrible" by your own admission. My friends in the UK, tell me it is socially unacceptable to get "drunk" and especially to drive in this state of ill behavior. Why do [b]YOU[/b]do this and what does it do for [b]YOU?[/b] How long does it take you to feel better? :quest:

Reading this thread: