Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,694 Members

Please welcome our newest members: aseprodi, KaydeeChy, VLOVELY KEITH, Strongyogi*, TNIKKA

Does anyone fear going crazy?

17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks so much everyone for your posts. I will keep telling myself that nobody who has anxiety goes crazy from it! Shell, I really wish they would go away by themselves too. Unfortunately, it requires a great deal of work from us!! Lets just try a bit harder. If not, i'm thinking of taking a boxing or karate class soon so I can kick this anxiety's butt haha. Radha, I agree about labelling. I hate how society has put a label on everything and everyone. They just want to name everythinga 'disease' so that people can keep taking medication and the government will stay in business! Its really horrible to label people. Nothing is wrong with us. WE are just dealing with higher levels of anxiety then others, and we are working on lowering these levels. Josie, thanks for your support. I will really try to push foward. Its just a bit hard right now. But I promise i will keep trying. Beth, you are adorable! yes I did get your 5R steps in the other post and I even answered you! I told you that I printed them out too. Thank you for always giving me examples such as the 'What If' examples. I started laughing when I read those because i have experienced ALL OF THE WHAT IF'S.......even the poisoning one! haha. I will keep that in mind. thanks again for evrything. God bless you all
17 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning Angel! I used to think that a lot but along with my anxiety, I have a Mom who is a "tad bit out there" (lol) and my fear was that I would end up just like her. Well, my therapist told me in no uncertain terms does anxiety make one go crazy EVER and that now is not a concern for me at all. Anxiety sufferers are "What if" people. "What if this pain is something more than a muscle strain?" "What if the lightning hits the roof?" "What if that cleaner was too close to my food and it is poisened now?" (haha thats an extreme one but you know how those thoughts can spiral!!) and with this we can sometimes think "Holy Cow I'm going crazy" but rest assured, it wont happen. You know when you tell yourself (from all the documentation out there) that Anxiety cannot kill you? Well, you might want to try turning your thought process around and say "NOBODY HAS EVER GONE CRAZY FROM ANXIETY" as well until that negative thought is gone. Also, did you get the "Five R's" I posted yesterday? If not, here they are again: Recognize - Recognizing that you are having a negative thought is a critical first step in learning to control negative thoughts. Consciously increasing your awareness and vigilance with regard to negative thinking will aid in the recognition and control of counter-productive and self-destructive thinking. You must be "on guard" to recognize the first signs of negative thinking in order to crush that thought before it has a chance to fully form and strongly take hold of your conscious mind. Refuse - You must refuse to allow the negative thought to continue and gain strength by some positive and defined action (e.g. visualize a STOP sign in your mind's eye; snap a rubber band across your wrist every time you have a negative thought; etc.). You must do something to disrupt the negative image and/or thought in order to prevent it from growing stronger. By doing this, you begin the process of shifting your mind away from the negative thought. Relax - Use any of a number of techniques that can help you to relax: take a deep, controlled breath; use a verbal trigger to shift your thoughts and feelings to a relaxing image; etc. When you are relaxed, the effect of mental programming is more powerful and you are ensuring that the next step in
17 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey there Angel I know exactly what you are talking about because I deal with this fear all of the time. It causes me a lot of distress and regardless how many times I hear you are cannot go crazy there is still that doubt in my mind. It is really scary and I am so tired of it. Today was an especially difficult day. I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with it. The moderators say to challenge the thoughts but I am not sure I know how to do that. I am trying to push forward but it is so hard. I try to move on from the thoughts but that is so hard. I would really love it if the thoughts went away by themselves.
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Angel, You have to challenge those fears and push forward. Take the time to check with your doctor and bring the anxiety test with you. This can help assess the situation :) Josie ______________________________ The Panic Center Support Team.
17 years ago 0 44 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Angel, Have to say I haven't had this thought of going crazy. Though I think anxiety disorders all fall into the old label of being neurotic which is a difference thing from being psychotic whereby you are NOT in touch with reality. In my opinion, regardless of this distinction, when labels are given to people and their disorders - we think something is wrong with us except for the one who has labeled us. I think this is where the problem begins - with anxiety disorders we then begin to think something is really wrong with us and THIS ANXIETY needs to be GOT RID OF AT ALL COSTS. Next time someone labels us perhaps find a label for them too and see their reaction!! Everyone can be described in terms of a label. Hope this cheers you up Angel :)
17 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI everyone. I know that anxiety cannot make you go crazy and you are not crazy! But i'm just wondering, do you any of you fear goign crazy? Do you ever fear what your thoughts might lead you to? Let mek now!!!

Reading this thread: