Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,632 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

panic attacks, anxiety and the menopause

20 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Studies have shown that panic and anxiety may lead to unbalanced hormone levels in women. Reason being, is due to our genetic make-up. Our reproductive hormones are constantly fluctuating until after we reach menopause. Studies are ongoing and there are currently two studies that I have to finish reading before I can post any new information. I will continue resarching this topic for you! Once I find any new material I will be sure to let you all know. Melanie
20 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
sue there probably has been because doctors prescribe anti- depressants for pms sometimes.
20 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Has there been any research into a possible hormone link and anxiety , not necessarily the menopause ?
20 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys! Why don't you try using the Panic Diary and see if in months to come you have the same emotions leading up to your menstrual cycle? As for menopause, you can go to your Doctor and he/she can check your blood levels to see if you are indeed going through the change. Hope this helps! Melanie
20 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there - I am a new member! I am going through menopause also - in fact had no periods for 14 months and then over Christmas had a lot of stress - a death, usual stress, work stress, and two allergic reactions that really bothered me (made my eyes puff up). As a result of the reactions took a maximum dose of benadryl and woke out of a sound sleep with a panic attack - first one - went to hospital and they thought it was a reaction to the benadryl - then the next day I had a full blown regular period. I am thinking that the stress and hormone mix is part of all of this.
20 years ago 0 148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WEll with everything else going on here I am a week and a half from my period. So that means ta da its here......anxiousness.
20 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
shedav, I talked to my psyhologist about this issue and she said that we have 5oo chemicals in our body and when one of them is to low, which in my case was sertonin, it throws off all the other chemicals because they all work together. So that is why anxiety, pms and mentrual problems go hand in hand.
20 years ago 0 148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think there is a link between my PMS and anxiety. For a bit the dr's thought I was going through perimenopause. Being I am only in my 30's. They also have tried to link it to my thyroid since my mom and grandmothers have thyroid problems. But my results are never positive for that or haven't been thus far.
20 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sue, I'm 34 and haven't gone through menopause yet and have always had anxiety, but when I was about 25 and after the birth of my 3rd child my periods stopped. At the same time my panic and anxiety kicked in big time. I went through alot of tests and everything came back normal, but my anxiety was still an issue. I ended up on a beta- blocker because at the time my anxiety was manifesting itself through irregular heart rhythms and a high pulse rate. Anyways the anxiety has come and gone through out the years and this summer came back really badly. This time I was put on Zoloft and for the first time in 9 years I am having periods every month and I feel great. Also whenever I would go without a period for 3 months or more my gynecologist would give me provera (a hormone) and I would freak out and have a major panic attack everytime. What I've gone through is a little different from your situation but basically it proves that hormones can play a major role in PD.
20 years ago 0 55 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, has anyone made any connection between the menpopause and panic attacks or general anxiety. To explain, I had my first panic attack last May, when my monthly cycle had become irregular, but thought no more about it, and was subsequently treated for a panic disorder. I had many attacks, and remained at a high level of anxiety for throughout the year. I was prescribed, in order, diazepam, lorazepam and prozac. My monthly cycle was still irregular ( Im 47 ), and although mentioned this to my psychiatrist and gp, was dismissed as being not relevant. During a hospital admission to a general and not a mental health ward my drugs were stopped as they didn't have access to them. When I then went to a mental health ward, and spoke to a consultant there, it was decided to place me on another anti depressant, which would take about 3 weeks to kick, at the same time I was put onto HRT using the patches. The change was astonishing and almost immediate, certainly well before the prescribed 3 weeks. I feel fantastic, not depressed or anxious at all, just my old usual self ! Which leads me to the conclusion that it may all have been related to the menopause. Has anybody else experienced anything similar ? I would be so interested to know ! Sue

Reading this thread: