Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,667 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Panic Attacks & IBS

20 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am new to the Panic Centre and find that I have a severe fear of being home alone! Eventhough I have my little boy here with me i still hate being here. I am a single Mom and find myself "clinging : on to unhealthy relationships to try to fill the void. The men i end up with are emotionally available and find me "hard to deal with" I start out fine and end up so needy, then I turn destroy my relationshps due to my atttacks! I am looking for some help on how to deal with the fact that I may be alone for the rest of my life. Although I know I have my son, and the worst case scenario of being alone isn't that bad I still fall into the full blown physical amxiety and panic when things go "bad" How can i stop this??? Doc :confuse:
20 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bangers, I understand exactly what you mean. Any situation that cuts me off from bathroom access can cause great anxiety, in case I "might" have to go. Of course the anxiety can quickly become acute enough that I do indeed need to go. Immodium in advance of these situations is helpful, and relatively gentle to come off. I've tried phoning ahead to some places I have to go to ask about their facilities and/or procedures so I understand what I'll be facing. If I have time, I might try a dry run to some new place, just to get familiar with the territory. It's a drag when you feel you can't trust your body. If these physical symptoms team up with a real mental panic, well, there's nothing you can do at that point in my experience. Breathing, focus, etc. are all the tools I have. Also, when venturing into new scenarios, visualize "worst case" scenarios in advance and if you follow the steps logically, you may find the worst case isn't really so bad, and you can reduce your anticipatory anxiety.
20 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
And yeah I let off a fair bit of gas. I would think a big reason for it would be that when your anxious u often tighten up your stomach muscles. My family don't particularly like my ****ing, but ****ing makes me laugh so I'm not fussed about it at all. Mine isn't severe though. There is definatly some foods that make u **** more than others though. That's for sure. I'm not sure how severe your husbands is though and wether it is more than just a tight stomach. CYA
20 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cloie, I read somewhere that it's common for people with anxiety to burp a fair bit due to the way they've been breathing. (lots of breathes I think was the reason)
Does anyone experience severe gas and belching coinciding with panic attacks? Which causes which? Does changing diet help or anti-gas medications? thanks, cloie
Thank you Helen & Phoebe. Just this afternoon I turned down a romantic horse ride with my boyfriend for fear of the same. Its time for me to try Xanax! I just moved to LA so have to find a good doc. Many thanks and best wishes to you both.
20 years ago 0 50 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have always had problems with my stomach and have been diagnosed with IBS. I used to feel the same way. Always afraid I would be trapped somewhere and not be able to find bathroom, avoiding going out to dinner, etc., which led to increased stress. I was always worrying when the next episode would strike. Doctors would prescribe medication, but nothing ever seemed to work. Changing diet did not help either. But I noticed since I've been taking Xanax for my panic attacks, my stomach problems subsided. Yes, I will get a stomachache every so often, but nothing like what I experienced with the IBS, and the relief of not constantlying worrying about running to the bathroom every ten minutes reduced the stress associated with it. I would talk to your physician about taking this medication. You could kill two birds with one stone....Xanax can keep both the panic and IBS under control.
20 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bangers, I have a very similar problem - but I feel the need to flee to the toilet to wee. I'm not sure whether my panic starts because I'm away from a toilet and think I need to go, or whether it's a symptom of my panic attacks generally. Like you, I panic as soon as I can't get to a toilet, eg when the doors on the tube shut behind me, on a bus etc etc. Helen
20 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Bangers! You are certainly not alone. You may find that your symptoms will seem to be common in many members of the group. I hope soon that people will begin posting their successful small steps. Together we'll help each other move forward. Looking forward to your next post :) Take care, Melanie
20 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bangers, hi - you are not alone with this problem. My panic attacks revolve around my stomach! This is one of the symptoms that I get when an attack is coming on, stomach cramps, churning then a build up of gas and chronic indigestion which makes me panic, because I can't get rid of it and it feels as if it is choking me. I have modified my diet somewhat to try and alleviate the stomach problem and to a degree or so, this has worked. Minimal caffeine (I drink tea), limited animal fats, lots more fresh fruit and veg, herbal teas. I sleep with antacids and a brown paper-bag! Some people get chronic headaches with their pa's we get stomach cramps, you just have to learn to deal with them as best as possible. Hope this helps. Welcome to the site - Gerry

Reading this thread: