Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,633 Members

Please welcome our newest members: GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown

Powerlessness

7 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wanted to add, if you read closely the car salesman story, there was no planning. The drink idea came all of a sudden. The peculier mental twist.

On the way I felt hungry so I stopped at a roadside place where they have a bar. I had no intention of drinking. I just thought I would get a sandwich. I also had the notion that I might find a customer for a car at this place, which was familiar for I had been going to it for years. I had eaten there many times during the months I was sober. I sat down at a table and ordered a sandwich and a glass of milk. Still no thought of drinking. I ordered another sandwich and decided to have another glass of milk.

"Suddenly the thought crossed my mind that if I were to put an ounce of whiskey in my milk it couldn't hurt me on a full stomach. I ordered a whiskey and poured it into the milk. I vaguely sense I was not being any too smart, but I reassured as I was taking the whiskey on a full stomach. The experiment went so well that I ordered another whiskey and poured it into more milk. That didn't seem to bother me so I tried another."

7 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Foxman,

As you write below, the true interpretation is indeed "to live one day at a time."  And i would add one word (NOW).

Live in the NOW, meaning "present moment," because that is all you truly and genuinely have.  No one is guaranteed anything beyond that.  I could die of a stroke or heart attack one moment after posting this comment.

And yes, agreed 100%, we emphatically need to "enlarge our spiritual life."  If I could put it in similar terms, but use other words, we need to work with God in ensuring, that day-by-day, we surrender ourselves and allow our spirits to ascend and take their proper seat of authority within us and usurp the power of our mind, emotions and will, which have caused our spirits to shrivel and be next to non-existent. 
The fact remains that drinking is a planned activity. 

Not for the few out there. They break the promise they made just that morning. They forget that they made one. They forget the consequences. All they become focused on is that feeling that 1 or 2 drinks bring to them. 

The reward system in place “AA Tokens” is somewhat of a conundrum to me in that they repeat the mantra of “one day at a time” yet reward those who manage increasing anniversaries of sobriety with different colored tokens. Is this not an oxymoron?

The one day at the time is not about "not drinking one day at a time". Its to live one day at time. If we fail to enlarge the spiritual life, we do go down the tube pretty quick. 
7 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Test posting url. http://www.cbc.ca/radio/outintheopen/out-in-the-open-on-july-9-2016-addiction-1.3663909/is-addiction-a-disease-two-experts-weigh-in-on-the-issue-1.3663919

7 years ago 0 18 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Toxicsoul, you might find this interesting: http://www.cbc.ca/radio/outintheopen/out-in-the-open-on-july-9-2016-addiction-1.3663909/is-addiction-a-disease-two-experts-weigh-in-on-the-issue-1.3663919

7 years ago 0 345 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I do understand how AA has helped certain individuals remain sober and recognize that it’s the camaraderie that helps to keep people focused. Strength in numbers after all.

The reward system in place “AA Tokens” is somewhat of a conundrum to me in that they repeat the mantra of “one day at a time” yet reward those who manage increasing anniversaries of sobriety with different colored tokens. Is this not an oxymoron?

Does this mean if you slip that you start all over again, you have to cash in your chips as it were? Are you not recognized for all the hard work that went into getting as far as you did? It’s like failing grade ten only to be sent back to grade one. I believe such a system may frustrate some and demoralize others to the point where they may totally give up.

Nonetheless, like SPMW, I like to tease out the parts which I find have merit and seek answers to those assertions which cause me pause.

TS

“We are not sharing our shame. We are sharing Resentments, Fear and Relationship issues.”

Resentments, fear and relationship issues can and do translate into “shame.” If we are being selfish and self-centered, is that not something to be ashamed off? If it’s all about us and we rationalize that the reason we have these character defects is because of someone else, or situation or bad luck then we are acting out through our inner child. The mother that beats her kid or the husband that abuses his wife, or the person who yet again gets stinking drunk only to exclaim, “you, they, it made me do it!” is acting out through their inner child…low emotional IQ.

Yes, I agree that once we recognize where we are coming from and what motivates our thought processes, we should be able to re-frame and think through or become mindful of our thoughts and actions thereby circumventing further selfishness and self-centeredness. And yes, this is an exercise that takes practice.

When successful, it is referred to as self-actualization. However, as Foxman noted, some refer to it as a relationship with “God.”

TS

“No, the queer mental twist happens BEFORE the first drink.”

I really do not believe that it makes much difference whether “the queer mental twist” happens before or after. The fact remains that drinking is a planned activity. You need to go to a venue to purchase the alcohol, you need to open the container (or have a drink served to you), you need to bring the beverage to your lips and then consume it. There is nothing odd about drinking as it’s planned. It is true that a person may convince themselves, after a run of abstinence, that they can now moderate the amount of alcohol they consume and some are indeed successful. However, others will simply revert to past behaviors usually very quickly. Such individuals recognize this “character defect” but will nonetheless continue to repeat the maladaptive behavior. They would rather endure the consequences (unmanageability) than give up alcohol forever. That is the “queer mental twist.” They have the power to change, they just don’t want to in my opinion.

TS
7 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good morning all,

SPMW, thank you for your comments.

You demonstrate one very strong character trait, which will eventually bring about the desired success and outcome(s) you now search for.

That trait is "open-mindedness."

The fact that you have not come to fully understanding or accepting a "higher power," and that you "do not dismiss anything wholesale" is proof of my previous compliment to you, which I sincerely mean from my heart.

With God, all things work out for the eventual good of all of His creation.  He is not in any hurry and is extremely longsuffering (patient).  Although some in zealously religious circles will not agree with my comments, the fact is God LOVES everyone, regardless of whether they believe in Him or not. 

He is not insulted, does not hold a grudge and pout like an angry demagogue as some religious zealots would have us believe, or even get the slightest bit angry with those who do not currently have a relationship with Him or believe that He exists. He is not remotely like us, and His ways and purposes are so so far above our own, it is hard and somewhat impossible to take it all in.

GOD IS LOVE, pure and simple, not just is loving, but rather is in His inherent nature LOVE

He is patient, and one day at some appointed time, He moves in unexpected ways we cannot fully imagine or understand, through some person, nitty-gritty life experience or some other manner.  At that precise moment, and it may take a long time as we humans count time, our struggles and search for truth, answers and peace, especially from this dreaded disease called alcoholism, are ended.

Regardless of your current belief system in God or a "higher power," I do truly applaud you for your words below and do genuinely wish you all the best and pray that you will receive answers in your ongoing quest.  And that SPMW you most certainly will because of your "open-mindedness," which, for me, also translates into "open-heartedness," even if that hyphenated word does not exist in the English language.

To all and SPMW, in particular, may God bless you and may you all have a wonderful day chock full of great health, peace, joy and LOVE, the latter being by far the greatest power in all this universe.

SPMW,
  You are absolutely right. In the fellowship, we don't conclude others as alcoholic. We lay out the information for the individual to arrive at a conclusion. And you are also right on whether an individual with just knowledge would empower himself a defense against this menace, only time will tell. It all depends on the extent to which we have warped ourselves. 

You may browse the "success" topic segment of the forum. You will see number of people staying sober for 30, 60... but eventually they fade out. It happens everywhere. In AA same deal. People come in pick up their 1, 30, 60, 90 days..just keep attending the meetings. And the modern day fellowship encourages that instead of showing the condition and help them arrive at a conclusion whether they have a problem or not and then look into the recovery part.

And one day, when the going gets tough, the internal un-manageability gets out of control and then the blank spot, the peculiar mental twist. I have been sober so many days, I can handle a drink or two or never even think about the consequences. Straight to the bottle.

This being the weekend, I encourage all to listen to Bills Story and More about alcoholism segment. 

This is is on google drive, download them onto your PC/Laptop and synch up with your phones.

You will see in Bills Story because of his chronic condition, self-knowledge didn't fix it, he comes back to the hospital. Then fear straightens him for a while and again he hits the blind spot and returns to the hospital for the 3rd time and then he applies the tenants of then Oxford groupers to sober up. Its a great story because, he too had issues with the higher power concepts. Where is friends suggests "why don't you come up with your own concept of a higher power".

Reading this thread: