Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Hello

5 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, awesome Reaper.  3 weeks is something to be proud of!  I am on day 3 and trying to keep it together.  I have anxiety and depression and drinking makes me feel less.  I know if I get through the next few days, I can better deal with my feelings.  The first few days is like opening a flood gate.  So, I am eating lots of berries, fresh food, herbs and lemon water.  I go to work but other than that, try to keep to myself.  My schedule this week is allowing me to do that.  

I quit for an entire year, two years ago but found I was still not happy (even with antidepressants).  During my year of sobriety, I made some life changing decisions and left a relationship.   Why I started again, I can only speculate.  I have a lot on my plate and think that I need to find a healthier alternative to alcohol.  Alcohol is so easy.  You pick up a bottle, go home, open it and drink it.  No prep, no nothing.  Drink, pass out, wake up, repeat next day after work.  

I am hoping to use this forum as an outlet as none of my family, friends or coworkers know the extend of my drinking.  
5 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am almost 3 weeks sober. Alcohol is on my mind a lot but remembering the pain it causes helps. Coffee is great too. Try stopping at a coffee shop instead.
Thank you Reaper.  Today is day 1.  I have no issues today.  By Wednesday, I will be arguing with myself to stop at the liquor store.  I may need this forum then.  Hope all is well with you!
Hi Gus,  Thank you for the note.  You made a good valid point!  I need to change the way I think about drinking. I will look her up and go from there.  Thanks again.  I hope all is well with you!
5 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Patricia,

Maybe you have stated part of your solution in your statement below when you said “.....On my way home, all I can think about is how good that wine is going to be.” Maybe that’s where you need to start, with how your thinking about drinking? Have you ever heard of Rachel Hart? She does a podcast called Taking a Break from Drinking. She talks a lot about managing your drinking by managing how you think about drinking. I had to manage how I thought about drinking, before I was able to fully quit. 

Hope all is going well for you. Take care. 
5 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For myself I cant slow down. I am new here as well and I really like it. I don't see why the site wouldn't work on a cell phone. Anyhow keep up what your doing I am sure you will figure out your goal.
One question, can I do this on my cell phone?  I haven't read everything through yet.  It maybe on here somewhere.

Hi, I found this program while searching for "how to quit drinking".  At this point, I am really not sure what my goals are.  All I know is that I need to learn how to control my drinking or quit all together.  I though of going to AA but there are reasons I do not want to attend.  I like the confidential aspect of this.  I drink to relax.  On my way home, all I can think about is how good that glass of wine is going to be.  A glass usually ends up being a bottle, more on the weekends.  I don't fight or argue or go out when drinking.  I am a "stay at home drunk".  This is going to be a struggle for me as drinking has become such a habit for me.  Please feel free to make suggestions on what else I can do.  (I think I already know).  

Reading this thread: