Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,535 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Hello

8 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for all the replies everyone and your support! Its definitely comforting and encouraging hearing from people who can relate to my struggles and have no judgements. Its been an alcohol free day for me today and it feels good. I'm planning on having my 2nd day tomorrow so will be hanging out here during my hours of temptation (5-7pm).... Baby steps... #feelingthelove 
8 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome, Mothership!  I'm new here, too.  I'm on my 3rd week, and really starting to feel good.  I know what you mean about the shock after taking the online assessments.  While I "knew" I had a problem for quite awhile, there's nothing like seeing the stark reality of those scares and the risks in black and white.  Kind of blows the denial away.

I doubt that many of us are a stranger to the feelings of shame you describe.  I just want to say that shame serves no purpose and can actually lead to more problem drinking, because shame keeps us feeling crappy about ourselves.  So one piece of advise is to change your thoughts, which will change your feelings.  The past is gone forever.  You're taking steps to address the problem, and that takes tremendous courage.  You're worth it!  Keep us posted on your progress.  We're here to help.

8 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks
8 years ago 0 11215 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Mothership16.

One day at a time is right. Coming here and posting is a great first step though. Good for you for getting started. It is not easy to realize a change needs to be made. How are you feeling today?

Ashley, Health Educator
8 years ago 0 72 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello mothership16,
It sounds like you are motivated to make a change. This is a great place to start! Congratulations on limiting to two drinks. I too am a mother of young children, and they were my main motivation to get started here. I am aware of many health risks for myself, but it is the potential damage that I could do to them that really scares me. I am now 108 days along on my journey. I recommend checking in here daily, and also exploring as many resources as you can (blogs, books, TV shows, meetings) to find the combination of supports that will work best for you. 
8 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi mothership16,
I'm a dad, and I made the decision to change my drinking pattern for the same reason as you - for my kids. They need me, and Im sure yours need you too. 

Your description of yourself when drinking described me perfectly as well when I drank. I had to quit 6 months ago. I tried cutting back drastically over and over again for about a year. I found it was easier to quit altogether, vrs trying to "manage" my drinking. And I know a few other ladies here on this site who found quitting altogether easier. 

For me, "managing" my drinking became too burdensome. Questions i had to deal with included "Will I fall asleep on the couch again? Will I slurr my speech in front of my kids? Who will drive my kids if I have been drinkig? How hung over will i be tomorrow? How down in the dumps will I be tomorrow?" And on and on and on. When I stopped drinking, all those questions stopped. And what a relief! The energy that went into that process was draining, even if I wasnt drinking!

Maybe quitting altogether would  work better for you too? Think about it. 

8 years ago 0 1562 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 But I don't have alot of self control... once I get started, I don't stop til I'm basically stumbling up to bed or passing out.

Unfortunately i belong to a group of people who are alcoholic. I couldn't stay away from that 1st drink. I would always come up with an execse to drink and then drink way over than I originally wanted to drink. I had to be convinced left on my own resource I will drink. Thats when my shrink recommended AA and I embraced the 12 steps. Today I am free man, I can walk anywhere in the world, without the fear of drinking. 

If you have few minutes, you may read this chapter "More about alcoholism":

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/en_bigbook_chapt3.pdf
8 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Mothership 16.  I was in your position 28 days ago, and can totally relate! I've made really small steps towards making it a week!  Though I have not made it a week yet, I've watch my consumption drop by 50%, then another 50%.  Big progress!  I'm on my second successful day three so I hope to make it to 5 or a week before Oct ends! My point is that starting with less (2drinks instead of 4; one day abstinence....1 instead of 2; 2 days abstinence was where I began.  I am pumped today as it is my second try at day three and I have no craving!!!  I was not planning how to get through tonight. Finally!

My kids are my motivation- I want to destroy the pattern now, be present - give them what they need, me, sober.

Congrats on 2 drinks, that is a strong start:) Rosa

8 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello all. Its my first time here and I need help. I just did a few of the online tools and now feel anxious and sick to my stomach about how much I rely on alcohol. I always knew I had a problem but never really wanted to admit it to myself. I eat well and exercise daily so always fooled myself into believing that would balance the booze out. It doesn't. I'm in shock. Anyway, my short term goal for now is to just cut back.... drastically! I'm worried about the cancer risks and liver disease because I have an amazing husband and 3 young boys who need their mama. But I don't have alot of self control... once I get started, I don't stop til I'm basically stumbling up to bed or passing out. Its horrible to think that my boys have seen me numerous times intoxicated and can always tell when I've had to much (slurred words, giggling, falling asleep on the couch). Wow. I'm so ashamed. I need to fix this before its too late. Anyway, I'm glad I found this place. I've read some other posts and everyone is so supportive and non judgmental. I could use some of that. To be honest, I just finished my 2nd glass of wine and I'm done for the night. I'm shook up. One day at a time right? 

Reading this thread: