Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Down this road again

10 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome JoanneB,

You  have come to the right place. We can help you break this habit! The program has specific information that will help and I encourage you to read it. Also, look through past discussions here - there is a ton of great information in these forums.

A big part of breaking the habit is understanding your triggers. What triggers you to smoke? Right in the morning? Going outside with a smoking friend? Find these times and plan on avoiding them, finding replacement activities or coping strategies. Having smoking items in the house is a big trigger for many. Make sure you have all cigarettes and other smoking related items out of the house.

How are you doing today?

Ashley, Health Educator
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Joanne and Kristine. Just poped in to say Welcome and Congrats on your decisions to quit...
I'll second what Jim and Deb said..So Stick with us and we will support you in your quits..

Red..
10 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi joanne!  welcome to the SSC forum!  just wanted to say hello and let you know that i am supporting you in your quit!  and "ditto" to everything that jim said below regarding his recommendation to go through the Program here - very, very helpful/informative info.

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Joanne and Kristine!

It sounds like you are both ready to kick your nico-demon's ash!  You've come to the right place!    The whole secret to quitting is wanting your freedom MORE than you want to smoke!  So, stick close, hang on tight and let's get 'er done!

I'd recommend that you both go through the Program (above dropdown box) and read and learn from your new fellow quit buddies here on the Forums!  The Program here is great to help you along with a great plan and the Tools will also be a great help. Also, if you need a hand or have a question, just ask!  We've all been through what you are going through and we're all rooting for you!  And remember to keep a Positive Mental Attitude as well as you can!  It is so easy to get into a rut and develop a bad attitude during your quit.  Well, just remember that you are on your journey towards freedom!  You've made the decision to take your freedom back, so keep your chin up and celebrate every little milestone you achieve, because you deserve it!  Oh, and don't forget your rewards! 

Stick close and let us know how we can help!  You CAN do this!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,280.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 19

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, Joanne! I just quit (again) this week myself, so I wanted to say hi since we're in the same boat.

For many years people who had successfully quit smoking told me that even though I had failed in the past, when the time was really right for me, I'd be able to do it. Often these people said they actually had a pretty easy time of it once they were truly ready. It sounds like that's you, so don't give up or feel like it's impossible!

I have mentioned on another thread that in these early awful days I have been drinking a ton of water. It sounds dumb, but it's something you can lift to your mouth with your hand, like a cigarette, so it helps with the feeling of wanting to do that constantly. And supposedly it flushes the nicotine out of your system.

I too have a lot of problems with the "habit" part of smoking. Aside from the water thing, I'm not even letting myself go out on my porch right now, and I made myself a CD of songs I like to sing along to to give me something to do in the car. I don't know if you drink, but I usually have a glass or two of wine at night and have already discovered that that's not an option right now because it's too linked with smoking in my mind. Instead I've just been getting in bed to read. Once I'm comfy in my pajamas I don't really want to get back up anyway.

Don't know if any of these ideas might help you but they are how I've been getting through. Good luck, YOU CAN DO IT!
10 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
   I am quitting smoking again....
I previously used Champix and went 8 days.
then I decided I 'liked' to smoke and started again.
I think its something emotional about having to "give up my cigarettes"
I'm not in that mind frame anymore.
I'm actually wanting to give it up.
A little background, my husband and I have been married 13 years, and separated 3 times in the last 4 years.
Emotional dysfunction.
We have started counselling and things are really REALLY good.
and I think this is where the 'emotionally ready' to quit is stemming from.
I'm using a patch, but the desire to smoke has gone, I actually don't want to.
BUT, my biggest hurdle right now is the HABIT
this part sucks because I don't want to smoke, don't have the desire to smoke, don't have a craving, yet find myself just smoking.
and its gross, gives me a headache and makes my head spin.
Breaking the Habit....
thats the key thing for me now.
Anyhow, thanks for reading :)

Reading this thread: