Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Starting Over

10 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Stick at it get next day or two over get the nicotine out of system
10 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yep!  uhhhh . . . I mean NOPE!  You can do it Iamdawn!
10 years ago 0 5 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Jim, I don't know what that relapse was about , but I've been ok since then. The past 2 days have been bearable. Just gotta remember NOPE !!!
10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Dawn..

Good for you for getting right back up on that horse again and continuing with your quit...
I agree lighting up never tastes good or feels the same once you have quit smoking.
I think of it as a lesson learned..and re affirmation that we never want to smoke again.. 

Keep the quit...

Red.

10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Dawn!

Congrats for not quitting on your quit!  Relapses can happen and for most, do happen!   It has been mentioned that it takes an average of 7 "tries" before the forever quit happens!  Each and every attempt is a learning experience and you have probably learned a valuable lesson.  So, now you are back up on the horse and giving it another go!  Woooo Hooo!

Please try to remember to post before you think about lighting up another cancer stick, buddy!  Wait for 5 replies and by then your crave will be gone!  It works!

Hang in there buddy!  Take it one day at a time and yell if you need a hand!  We're all rooting for you!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 15 Seconds: 40

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Iamdawn,

Congratulations on getting right back up on that horse. You now are wiser about some potential triggers, and this makes you more likely to succeed this time. I can see the renewed commitment in yur words here, and I believe you can do this.

BTW, my drinking has gone way down since I quit. At the beginning, I was worried about being triggered to smoke again while drinking.So I avoided it.  After a while, that fear went away, and I tried partying it up a few times. What I found was that, even though I wasn't craving a cigarette, the drinking had lost a lot of the fun value for me. I seriously think that I was getting more into the smoking binge that so often accompanies a party night than the drinking. It can still occasionally feel good to have a couple of drinks with friends, but that activity just doesn't have the same amount of "draw" for me as it did before.

One positive thing is that the drinking trigger does eventually lose its power. Just this week, I went out for a couple of drinks with friends for the first time since New Year's. I had zero cravings. Didn't even think about smoking. You will eventually get there, too. ...But in the meantime, it's probably a good idea to get very secure in your quit before experimenting. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh ya! That drinking can derail a quit in no time - catch you unprepared and before you know it, you are starting your quit over - or in many cases, simply right back to smoking again for who knows how long???   So your patch idea is good - and reviewing your reasons for quitting is very important.  If you want to quit more than you want to smoke you can do it!  If you can adhere to Not ONE PUFF Ever! NOPE! it helps so much - the physical cravings diminish as time goes one without nicotine in your system, but when you give yourself a top up of nicotine, it seems to start the cravings all over again in a really short time!  Good luck Iamdawn!  You can do it this time 
Thank You Samantha for your encouraging words. I think it was 100% psychological because I wasn't even having a craving. I really can't explain what happened. All I know is, I didn't like it and I don't want to be controlled my this addiction/habit .
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello iamdawn, 

I am sorry to hear that you had a setback. I would encourage you to review your reasons for quitting. I would also encourage you to look back at your slip. What contributed to it? What is the underlying issue? Do you need better coping mechanisms? 

Take the time to look back and learn from this slip. You can overcome whatever obstacle that led you back to smoking. You can stay on the right path and if you need help, just ask! 

We are always standing at the ready, all you have to do is reach out and post.

Samantha, Health Educator
I will start by saying, I need a do over. Last night, I totally fell off the wagon, I was drinking and smoked several cigarettes . I am deeply ashamed with myself, I had a slip earlier this week but nothing like last night. Today around noon, I reapplied by patch and will continue to try again. The most disgusting part was that the cig didn't even taste the same and I didn't get any of the usual pleasure from it. I have spent most of the day in prayer and from here I will move on. So I now declare Sun, June 9, 2013 as my quit day.

Reading this thread: