Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

What is the first step

11 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sina;  You've gotten lots of responses here from other people who've found their reason to take that first step toward quitting - every one valid and worth taking to heart!
I think we all 'want' to quit when we finally get fed up with the bad breath, weak lungs, poor circulation, coughing, stained teeth and environmental pollution we inadvertently huff 'n puff out to others who happen to be in our line of fire.  
I believe the 'first step' to maintaining a successful quit is to 'want' to quit MORE than you 'want' to smoke!  Then you can seek support (as you've already done by coming here : ) It's also  important to understand your addiction; embrace it; learn all you can about why you haven't been successful in your quits to date; seek knowledge, assistance and  whatever you need to get you through the first most severe cravings - then make your commitment to adhere to NOPE! Not One Puff Ever!  If you stick to NOPE - you will be chocking up the stats -  with your white teeth and lovely breath -  in no time : )   Please pop in and let us know how you're doing  - we'll be here for you bud! : )
11 years ago 0 792 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Litsa, At my age there was no shortage of reasons to quit. They were piling up fast but one of them was this: 

I was sick one weekend with a respitory infection something I was prone to then ( DUH, Ya Think?) Anyway I was in bed for most of the weekend but was now feeling better and woke up early to go to work on Monday.  I made some coffee and sat down to enjoy it. I smoked THREE cigarettes lighting each one off the previous one. When I realized what I was doing I was disgusted with myself. Talk about low self esteem!

I know now that I was replenishing a diminished blood serum nicotine level.  
11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sina,
I think that everyone's reasons for wanting to quit are different. For me, it was the social aspect that started to irritate me more than anything. I never thought I would say this, but thank goodness people are making it more and more difficult for smokers to smoke in public places! Having to go outside, or having to go into a smoking room to smoke was motivation. Smelling bad and having my children turn away from me when I wanted to kiss them was motivation. Once I caught sight of myself having a really DEEP drag of my cigarette - it was not a pretty sight. I am so happy I decided to quit - finally freedom!!
11 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great point Waldo!

How did you get to the point of really wanting to quit?

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The first step is really wanting to Quit
11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I believe the Key is to really want to quit.
To really believe in yourself.
Prepare yourself and have support like you will find on this site.
Also become your own best friend as you will be needing to talk yourself through your craves,( they really are shorter than you think )
Remind yourself of the positives and that each day will get better.
One of my favorites is that first breath of fresh air as I start my day smoke free.
Wishing you Strength in your quit.
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sina!!!

Welcome to the SSC!!!  I looks like you have started the Program already and that is the second step.  The first step was finding this place, so you are well on your way to becoming a successful quitter!    Check out the Tools, also.  Like Ashley said, knowledge is power.  The more educated you are on subject of addiction, the better prepared you will be to beat the addiction!

I had many quit attempts in the past, as most of us here have.  Those who have succeed had one thing in common... we all wanted to quit MORE than we wanted to smoke!  It may well be the hardest thing you will ever do in your life, but benefits are priceless! 

So, read and learn from the Program and from the posts on the Forums.  Post if you have any questions or do a search of the Forums for threads containing topics of interest to you!  You now have a whole bunch of new quit buddies here who are always ready to listen and provide support.  Prepare well and when you are ready, set your quit date.  Decide if an NRT is in order or if you are going to take the bull by the horns and go cold turkey.  Try to maintain a Positive Mental Attitude  and really try to psych yourself up to make this your forever quit!  You CAN do this!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,392.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1062 Hours: 13

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome Sina! 

You have come to the right place. We can help you get started. To begin, take a look at the program. The program is full of important information that will help prepare you for your quit. Also, do a keyword search through the forums for discussions that pertain to you. We have a wealth of knowledge here and the more you know before you get started the better. Information is key to success.

You have mentioned that you have tried to quit many times but couldn't; this is completely normal. Many people try to quit smoking a number of times before they are successful. Each quit attempt is a learning process. What did you learn from your last quit attempt? What will you be doing differently this time? What will you be doing the same?

Keep posting - you're not alone in this.

Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was trying to quit many times but I couldn't
What is the first step for quit?
Can anyone help me with that issue ,please

Reading this thread: