Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Stress

16 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I found exercise was the only thing that got me though the quit!! 200 days into it and I really feel/smell/taste/walk/run (do everything!) so much better. You soon realize how much time and money you wasted while slowly killing yourself. Hang in there!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/20/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 206 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,090 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $618.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I handle stress by working out. The cold weather keeps me inside and I want to climb the walls. I think about smoking when I have idle time so I excercise. It helps me change my thought process because if I'm winded from working out, the last thing I want is a ciggy. There are days I have to MAKE myself excercise, but once I get started it's ok [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 748 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $187.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
16 years ago 0 141 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I never realized how much my everyday life was consumed by smoking. I find myself battling with myself to remain distracted, to find an outlet. I seem to be brimming with a nervous energy and moving about helps. Instead of smoking, I take that energy and walk. It's kind of funny because the stronger the craving, the faster I seem to walk. At this rate, I may become an Olympic speed-walker real soon. lol [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/3/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello members! Lots of great discussion here! As you can see it's not uncommon for many individuals to engage in detrimental habits when stress hits. Why you may ask? Well, likely because those detrimental habits produce the quickest effects in our brains. I would encourage all who are struggling with this issue to make an effort at replacing those old habits with new ones. It's okay to have a drink once & awhile or to indulge yourself with a sweet treat but it can't be the only relief you can run to. Smoking took up so much of our time, it's time to make up for it. Find something you love to do or are passionate about! It can be as simple as an outing, some retail therapy, a hobby or giving your time to a good cause. Search through those dreams, which one do you want to pursue? It has been helpful to some to make a "top 100" or "bucket list" to get some ideas. List items or activities you'd like to achieve, accomplish, do or try before you pass. A little morbid but can really be helpful in getting the ideas flowing. Also be sure to tune into CBT days this month on the forums. We'll be tackling anger management! Hope this helps. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I find I experience 2 different types of stress. For the kind where I feel pent up energy due to anger or frustration (feel like I am about to explode) I will go for a brisk walk, or do something physically exerting. For the cerebral kind of stress I usually work on a complicated bit of needlework that requires close concentration, or work on some soapstone carving. The latter I learned as part of my recovery from cancer, and it can be very therapeutic cutting and filing away the parts that you don't want-a kind of visualization exercise. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/27/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 100 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $44.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MistyMoonlight, There are a number of ways to help reduce stress. You could try doing some relaxation techniques, like deep breathing exercises and visualisation. Tai Chi as well as Yoga have shown to have stress relieving benefits. You could also do something as simple as reading a good book or watching a movie. Members please share your stress relieving strategies. Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am sooooooo glad to hear that I am not the only one. By the way Angelcapp - the gym does work (definately reduces anxiety and stress + it helped me to lose the extra pounds). When we are doing fun things at the gym, I look forward to but my routine is in abit of a rutt lately...so sometimes it feels like I am working out just to eat and I eat because it's what makes me feel better after a bad day. (I identified with the guy who was so heavy because I know that is where I would be if I quit going to the gym) Misty - Do you still reward yourself regularly? At the beginning of our quits we rewarded ourselves for making it through the day, for making it through the week and for each major milestone. Sometimes I went out and bought something I really wanted or sometimes I just went shopping to pick out what I was going to buy. I took a day off just to "relax and hang out". I can't even remember everything that I did...but I do remember that I loved the rewards. Maybe it's not that unusual for people to replace smoking with something else (i.e. food) but I'm wondering how others managed to find more helpful ways to deal with stress after a bad day... Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 507 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,535.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy - I am so there with you! I really related when you said you'd rather have none than "just a bite". I'd like to know what folks do to cope with stress too. I enjoy taking nice hot baths, but the bath tub is in the kids bathroom, and I have to scrub that from top to bottom before i'll go spend time in there. LOL.. That just ticks me off, and we're going in the wrong direction now. How do you relax and cope with a long hard day? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 563 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 42,225 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,556.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 50 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
angelcapp, Weight gain is normal when quitting smoking. It's a great idea to do aerobic activity, you could also try distracting yourself with water, gum or a walk instead of food since most people tend to go to food as a distraction when quitting smoking. Best of luck, Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That is my problem now, I think I have replaced food for smokes. I have gained like 30 lbs. and I really feel crappy about myself. I am also on 2 difference medications that cause weight gain, so that doesn't help. I can't get off the medication right now, so i guess its off to the gym for me. I start an aerobics class next week and I am hoping to join an aquatic class also. Really hope this helps me cuz going back to smoking is not an option. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 336 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,400 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,680.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 36 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: