Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

HelpPlease

2024-04-15 2:59 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.747 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,460 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Angelbaby, kencatly, jrawrz, AMARIAH BETTINA, HelpPlease

thirty days

14 years ago 0 183 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where have you been Jeniwho? Been wondering about you.

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 10/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 127
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,540
Amount Saved: $781.05
Life Gained:
Days: 20 Hrs: 20 Mins: 16 Seconds: 34

14 years ago 0 242 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi  Jeniwho   

Think of all the cigarettes you haven't smoked in 86 days.  One thousand seven hundred and twenty cigarettes not smoked, seams like quite an achievement. 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 23
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 230
Amount Saved: $92.00
Life Gained:
Days: 3 Hrs: 3 Mins: 15 Seconds: 34

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jeniwho, how are things?

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 292
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,176
Amount Saved: $3,168.20
Life Gained:
Days: 32 Hrs: 22 Mins: 7 Seconds: 24

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jeniwho, can't add much. You are at a crossroads. Do you want to quit more than you want to smoke? At some point (how about now) you're going to have to decide. Yes, decide. At 74 days your quit should be deliberate. Do you really want to give all of those days back? Yes, you would have to reset your meter. All I can say is what you've heard before, This too shall pass. Hang in there. It will get easier.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 280
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,840
Amount Saved: $3,038.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 13 Mins: 48 Seconds: 5

14 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jeni, the fact that you've given up at about the same number of days in the past and are feeling lackluster again should send red flares up.  It's time to dig deep and do a bit of soul searching...

What is happening in your life that you can say has been there each time you've lost a quit?  Are you bored?  Have you taken such extreme changes in your lifestyle that you feel you've not only quit the smokes but quit the familiarity in every part of your life?  Lost the YOU-ness of your day to day?  Is it getting hard to deal with stress or emotional situations so you're starting to think, yep it'd be easier to just smoke than to find another way to deal with this, so where did I leave that lighter?

That's all big Nic talking.  He's a scumbag and I implore you to not go out on that date!

The healing won't happen overnight and to expect yourself to feel fabulous at 70 or so days is a nice thought but it's really just a thought.  In order to make yourself really feel better you have to get over what is making you feel lousy.  It's not physical nicotine withdrawal - that only lasts three days remember.  What's making you feel lousy is the boredom, missing fun lifestyle, inability to deal with the emotional stuff, whatever it is you must fill in the blanks as you need to and address the real issue.  It's probably actually got little to do with smoking!

I think the first thing most people do when they quit is avoid going 'outside with the smokers'.  But that usually means you don't take breaks when you still need them.  A simple way to return something that once felt normal to your life.  Take that break.  Go for a walk.  Chat with someone at work that you haven't seen in a while.  Bring YOU back into the equation.  You may soon find that's the only thing that's really been missing and 'normal' will make it's way to you after all.

x T

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1131
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 26,013
Amount Saved: �7,153.58
Life Gained:
Days: 100 Hrs: 22 Mins: 16 Seconds: 31

14 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb, you are correct.  Often times relapses occur in the first 3 months due to situational triggers and are usually unexpected. These are the times when people reach for cigarettes automatically because they associate smoking with relaxing. It's hard to prepare yourself for this kind of situation until it happens, so it's important to recognize it when it does. 

Jeniwho, smoking is a habit that you can break!  Try to recognize what triggers your urge and maybe it will help ease the feeling.

Keep it up!

Samantha, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb you are so right.  I have quit many times and this is always the point I get to and give up.  I think the initial enthusiasm for the quit has worn off but I am far from feeling "normal".  Last night out of no where I had the strongest urge to smoke I think I have had since the beginning of this quit.  I feel like I should be doing better and that I should be healing.  I think the only thing that has kept me going is shear stubbornness but not sure how long that will last either.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 74
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,480
Amount Saved: $518.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 11 Mins: 54 Seconds: 19

• Quit Meter

$385,891.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5352 Hours: 4

Minutes: 16 Seconds: 7

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jeni! Sounds like that junkie is really trying to "win you back!" Don't let him win! It is a mental battle and you need to be stronger than he is and keep saying NOPE! It will get better, hang on to your quit with both hands and kick that junkie to the curb! Hang out here if you need to! Revisit the program and do the deep breathing or more tools if needed.
One hundred is just around the bend! Keep on going!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 1067
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 26,675
Amount Saved: $11,256.85
Life Gained:
Days: 146 Hrs: 23 Mins: 0 Seconds: 27

14 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep going Jeni.  I really believe it will get better.  I had two quits going and made it both times to almost the 90 day mark.  You are really right.  There is something about the time period you are in now that is ridiculously hard.  Moderators, have you heard of any particular research about this phase of a person's quit that could shed any light? 

I wish I had pushed through, or known more, or gotten more support.  People around us who were supportive early on in our quits are kind of over it by the time we hit this phase, and don't understand that we need their understanding more than ever.  It tends to take us by surprise a little too because just when we think things are going to finally start to get a little easier, there is this huge push by the nicodemon (as Dave said).  And I also can relate to what Marvini said: I got complacent and bored with my quit around that time too.  I got tired of fighting with it all of the time as well.  Lots of factors.

I hope things are going a little better for you today.  You are welcome to some of my newcomer energy if that helps.  I still have lots of fight in me and I'm happy to share some.  Sock Nic in the nose, stick your tongue out at him, and see it for what it is.  Don't let him have you back.
deborah

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/25/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 10
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 240
Amount Saved: $96.00
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 2 Mins: 33 Seconds: 57

14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Moss I will look for that thread.  I guess I can handle things being hard as long as I know there is some end in sight.  Right now it just seems like an ongoing battle.  I am tired. 
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 72
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,440
Amount Saved: $504.00
Life Gained:
Days: 6 Hrs: 7 Mins: 59 Seconds: 7

• Quit Meter

$385,891.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5352 Hours: 4