Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,502 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

No confidence

5 years ago 0 93 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Keep up the fight Fisherman, you are doing great. It does and will get easier as time passes. I have been using the nicotine patch in my quit and I don't think I could have made it without it. I am at day 46 and have been able to move to step 2 of the nicotine patch. There are still some moments where I get an overwhelming feeling of wow just to have one smoke would be great right now, but I know better. For me there is no such thing as just one. I keep saying to myself you have made it this far don't give in now. Keep up the good fight, you can do this!
  • Quit Meter

$16,082.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 368 Hours: 14

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 25

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well done Fisherman on being smoke-free for 28 days! That's a really good stat to your stop smoking journey. I too have smoked constantly for over 40 years and was dreading attempting to stop as the previous attempt I just couldn't stop thinking about smoking and had dreadful cravings that felt physical as well as psychological. That attempt I went cold-turkey but this time I am using patches and inhaler and I feel they are definitely taking the edge off and I will be using these up to a year if needed. I have started to turn to food more as cravings can be very intense but drinking lots of water too to flush the toxins. Is there anything you enjoy doing like hobbies or crafts that you can turn too when cravings hit? Even going for walks can help and as you have smoked for such a long time it could take a good bit longer before your body and brain start to adjust into the new non-smoking routine. My legs and feet hurt real bad and have done for a long time so I'm hoping to see health improvements after a few months of quitting, I'm on day 45. It is really hard to not give in to the craving but it does get easier with time, my first two weeks were not too bad with the adrenaline rush of quitting, the next two weeks felt harder and I arrived at the chemist for patches really stressed out and binged on sweeties from the shop. The last week has felt better but I can't be around smokers for long and I can smell cigarettes everywhere I go in town with people puffing away outside. A vape might help you to control cravings and urges and you can get juices for them that contain nicotine in various mg, I don't think I could have done this without the nicotine replacement aids. I wish you best of luck to keep going and you will start to feel better and not smoking will become second-nature.
  • Quit Meter

$16,065.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 260 Hours: 4

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 175 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ohhhh Fisherman.....dont give up now. I have found the same thing with my quit....that it got worse after it got better and that surprised me. It was like two steps forward and one step back. The thing is if you tough it out it does get easier again. Youve done the hardest yards and it feels like whats going on? Why am l still craving? But if you wait it out you will feel stronger again....l can assure you. Your down mood wont last forever. Tim brought up a good point about NRTs. Maybe you could use something just to get you through this rough patch. Ive been using the nicotine spray and it has helped me tremendously. The thing is its only 1mg nicotine per spray and you take 2 sprays when youre craving so you're not having a large amount of nicotine. For me its more the act of doing something and the intense minty hit that takes your mind off wanting a smoke. I know cold-turkey is the ideal way to do things but youre better off going to buy some NRT than you are going to buy smokes. And the eating is so normal. Ive been eating the house out. Who cares at this stage....whatever takes yoir mind off smoking. I recommend getting some of the most intense minty lollies you can find. The intense mint takes my mind off smoking. Youve come so far. Dont give in now. Follow your heart not your mind. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • Quit Meter

$13,840.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 101 Hours: 3

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Tim. I appreciate the kind words and positive feedback. Going cold turkey. I don't want to drag it out (the withdrawal). No one in my immediate circle smokes, so that helps. I was always busy, never sat down, always on the go doing something. Having difficulty finding motivation to do as much now, and find it difficult to concentrate. Sleep has been difficult as well. At this point I can't seem to get enough to eat, whereas before food was an afterthought, my wife often had to remind me to eat.

Again, thanks for the positive words. Most times I feel that the only reason that I'm not smoking is because I am NEVER going through this again. I can't sugar-coat it - this sucks, and I don't have it in me to do this again. This is my shot, I've got to get through it. 
  • Quit Meter

$317,856.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9140 Hours: 19

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Fisherman,
 Welcome to the site.  "I'm on day 28 smoke free" A big congratulations on making it for 28 smoke free days already!!  "every day seems worse than the last"  Are you going cold turkey or are you using nicotine replacement therapy? 
"I smoked for 42 years, and knew it would be hard, but I'm feeling like I just can't do this if every day is harder than the last." I know this is no condolence at this point in your quit journey, but it WILL get easier for you. Its just going to take some time. How long depends on a number of things. ie; how long you smoked, how many a day you smoked, your environment, the company you keep, etc. Does anyone around you smoke in your presence? Have you changed up your routine since you quit? Are you trying to keep busy so you don't think about smoking as much? Yes, as you know it is hard to quit smoking. Nicotine is a nasty drug that's hard to walk away from, due to the control it has on you and your life. You have made it this far, so you just have to keep on fighting the urges. Have you noticed any changes in your lifestyle since you quit smoking? Can you smell odors you never noticed before, food tasting any better...or worse.  Hang in there Fisherman, you have already put a lot of effort into this quit journey. You need to give yourself a reward too for all you have put into this.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,183.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 771 Hours: 10

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I can't figure this out. I'm on day 28 smoke free, and every day seems worse than the last. I smoked for 42 years, and knew it would be hard, but I'm feeling like I just can't do this if every day is harder than the last. 
  • Quit Meter

$317,856.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9140 Hours: 19

Minutes: 35 Seconds: 22

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: