Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

New to this site

5 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome PatK!

You have already received great advice from Timbo and StellaBlue. I have also bumped a thread for you in Health Educators Corner. Take a look for some more tips.

How are you doing today? What tips do you think you might try to implement?

Ashley, Health Educator
5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I forgot to say - one practical thing I do to curtail the weight gain part is that I have switched from cigarettes to tea.  When I get into that frame of mind where I "want something" (and I used to satisfy this vague want with a smoke) I just make a cup of tea. I already eat really healthy, but I am careful not to bring easily snack-able items into my home too often.  Just like I used to reach for a smoke 20 times per day, I can just as easily reach for ______ food 20 times a day, so I don't have a lot of "grab and go" foods around.  
5 years ago 0 180 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi PatK, congrats on your quit!  I gained about 10 pounds during the last 8 months since I quit.  Part of this is other life stuff, and part of this is because, like many people, I used to actively use cigarettes to control my weight (ie: I would smoke instead of snack).  I eventually had to get myself on board with the idea that ANY kind of weight gain would be worth quitting cigarettes.  Once the quit is done and solidified, I can attend to the weight part at my leisure.  Weight is something you can attend to any time you want, at any level of intensity you want.  Around 6 months into my quit, I started focusing on my weight gain and I'm now just sort of taking it easy in getting myself back to my normal. It's already half gone after just a month or two of attention.  My body and brain has adjusted to being a non-smoker, and now I can fine-tune other aspects of my health.  The truth is, not a single person except me has even noticed the weight gain (and I am extremely short, so 10 pounds is proportionally a bigger deal to me lol), I look the same in photos as I did a year ago (unless I'm using a ridiculous level of scrutiny), and beyond all that I actually feel healthier now than I did last year since I no longer smoke.  Even if I had to "pay" for my quit with a permanent 10 pound weight gain, it would be worth it. No one cares about it except me, so maybe I shouldn't care so much about it either.  
5 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi PatK,
 Welcome to the site. Congratulations on being a quitter for almost 3 months now, and sorry to hear what it took to become a quitter. Weight gain is normal when we quit smoking. We replace the cigarettes with whatever can find to keep our mouth occupied since we no longer have a cigarette hanging out of it.  Its just a change to our lifestyle, and we need to adapt to it. Honestly, only 5 pounds in almost three moths is great. Our body used to have to work harder coping with the nicotine and chemicals inhaled from a cigarette, and once we quit, it did not have to work as hard to maintain itself. That's also part of the reason we gained weight. 
 As for maintaining your weight, can you exercise being on oxygen? I mean, do you have a big tank or is it the type that hangs around your waist? Can you go for walks, or work out on a treadmill safely? Diet plays a big part in the change too. More fruits and veggies, less fats and sugars. We have another forum on here, smoking cessation and weight-gain. There might be something in there that can help you out. I wish you the best on your journey.
Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,207.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 9

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

5 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello, I quit smoking on 12-6-18 after being admitted to the hospital. I was diagnosed with COPD. I am on oxygen 24/7 and given the nicotine patch I have been smoke free ever since. I am now back to work. My problem now is I have gained about 5 pounds. Do not want to gain any more. Help
  • Quit Meter

$8,883.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 254 Hours: 20

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: