Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,527 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Introduction

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lulapoussin,

I am sorry to read that your first day didn't go smoothly. It sounds like you are doing amazing motivating yourself and gathering resources that can help you. The notes and the deep breathing will be a great help in managing the anxiety. You also may want to consider avoiding caffiene and alcohol as this may increase the anxiety. Also, exercise of any kind can help to mitigate the anxiety as well. Lastly, check out our sister site that offers a Cognitive Behaviour Therapy program to help you manage anxiety. The skills you learn on that site will be useful lifelong in addressing anxiety symptoms. I hope you find relief soon!

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 12 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I SHOULD have done colors, but the idea just came to me while I was trying to win the mental battle. Yellow was all I had. :( But I think I should buy some different colors and put them up as I think of inspirational things to keep my mindset in the right place. I'm going to go check out "reasons to smile" right now. Thanks!
  • Quit Meter

$4,979.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 221 Hours: 7

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 796 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with you on the mental part. That's the hardest part of a quit in my opinion. Are all your post it notes yellow or did you throw some color in the mix?  Sorry, couldn't resist that. Humor is the best medicine. Have you read the "reason to smile" in the "Forum for new users and general discussion" yet? I kind of see you writing that diary in the back of my mind. 
Stay strong, it WILL get easier and better in time. Just take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. Don't think so much about the long term, concentrate on the present.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,225.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 772 Hours: 19

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 19

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thank you! I started doing some deep breathing and relaxing exercises, too. I'm hoping NRT curbs the physical symptoms because I honestly feel like it's the mental that's going to be the biggest struggle. I put post it notes up all over my house today. Things like "You can. You will." "You are beautiful. Strong. Worth It." Things like that. I especially like "Breathe Easy. And Climb Mountains with your Boys!" Because that's a dream of mine. I want to climb their first mountain with them. 

Staying strong. Today. One day at a time. 
  • Quit Meter

$4,979.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Sorry to hear about the melt down. No nicotine to calm the nerves. It's a terrible drug. I've been a quitter for 4 1/2 years and I still find myself trying to relearn how to deal with anger and stress sometimes. Evidently it's a long learning curve for me, but I'm still a quitter!  Good luck with the NRT. It seemed to help me out when I started my journey. It takes care of the physical need and allows you to concentrate on the mental part of the quit.
 You haven't lost your mind, it's just real cloudy now since you cut off it's "fix" it used to get whenever it needed it. One of the tricks I learned that worked for me was as simple as breathing. Slowly inhale through your nose, hold, exhale slowly through your mouth. Do this at least five times and it does help "calm" the nerves and let you get a hold of reality again. You've got kids so know about counting to ten....basically the same thing. Giving yourself time to "calm" down. 
 It would be nice if the doctor can give you something to help you out. If not medicine, maybe advice. Whatever the outcome, try and stay strong and remember why you're doing this. Best wishes...

Not One Puff Ever 
  • Quit Meter

$23,225.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I ended up quitting yesterday. I'm struggling. I had an epic meltdown this morning. As in, I threw something across the room because I couldn't find my keys. I screamed and cried. Not at my kids, but they were there looking at me like I've lost my mind. 

I bought NRT. Will start tomorrow with it. I called the doctor to schedule an appointment to see about anti-anxiety meds. I struggle with anxiety normally. Right now, it's crazy town all the way. 

However, I don't do well with Welbutrin and I won't try Chantix. Part of my anxiety is about taking medications in general. I struggle with vitamins. Which is crazy because smoking is AWFUL! 

I don't know what to ask for or if I should just ride this thing out.  
  • Quit Meter

$4,979.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi Lulapoussin,
 Today's your day. How are you doing so far? Stay strong.

Not One Puff Ever

• Quit Meter

$23,225.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

6 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Welcome!

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is very common to have mixed feelings about starting a quit. I am so glad you have decided to put your health first. It is also amazing that your husband is going to be so supportive - that will be a huge asset to you.

Your quit date is tomorrow. How are you feeling? 

Ashley, Health Educator
6 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Lulapoussin and welcome,

The most epic of journeys begins with the first step. Roll on Monday!

You have enough reason to make this your final quit and you will do so if you really want to; one day at a time; even an hour at a time!

You've done it before, you can do it again!

Good Luck
Penitent D5069

• Quit Meter

$56,815.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1125 Hours: 5

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi. I just want to take a few minutes to introduce myself and give a little history. 

I'm going by Lulapoussin because that's a former pet cat name. I am a closet smoker (most people think I quit for good when I got pregnant with my first son 10 years ago). I have smoked off and on since I was 20. I just turned 39. I did quit during both my pregnancies and for about 4 or 5 months following them. And I did it cold turkey with no problem. The idea of hurting my unborn child was too much. 

So why did I go back? I fell into that "I can have just one or two tonight" while we were out. It's a slippery slope I didn't navigate well. Other than that, I've quit off and on for a couple weeks or so. 

More and more, I'm thinking of my health. My mom has COPD at 54 years. She's been smoking since age 11. I have two young children (9 and 5). I look at them sometimes and think about how difficult it would be not to be in their lives as adults or to be so sick like my mom. I want to breathe easier. I want to quit hiding. I want to climb mountains (literally). I climbed a 14er last year and I did it, but it was HARD. I want to be active. I want to have the time I'm WASTING sneaking out to smoke to spend it with my kids. I want to NOT think "but when will I smoke" when planning my day because even though my husband does smoke when he's had a few drinks, he doesn't smoke any other time and doesn't know the extent of my smoking issue. He does know I've joined here. He does want me to quit. And he will avoid smoking to ensure I'm successful. He's very active and doesn't want to either. 

So, there's my story. I'm happy to be here. I'm scared to be here. But I'm ready. I'm tired. Tired of no energy. Tired of hiding. Tired of feeling bad. I'm excited to meet everyone and walk through this with a support system. I know I can do it. I have done. I just have to do it and stick with it. My quit date is 4/9/18.  

• Quit Meter

$4,979.25

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: